UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It is annoying. We made it through five series of Elementary on Prime, only to find we'd have to pay to watch the last 2. I actually almost wished we still had Sky so we could have watched it, and Modern Family. If NowTV wasn't so damned expensive I'd probably be going for a few months of that to get them finished off. 

If you are just interested in the Entertainment package it's £7.99 a month. Probably way cheaper than buying the 2  Elementary seasons on Amazon.

4 hours ago, Mr Lawrence said:

I subscribe to Amazon Prime on Virgin. I have not really watched anything on there before, but i was flicking through it lastnight and saw a few series i would not mind watching. When i clicked to watch, it said it would cost £2:99 to watch an episode. Is this how it works? You subscribe but then also you have to pay to watch certain series or films? Thanks. 

Amazon Prime and its search function is absolute dogshit. Sometimes films or TV shows appear 'to buy' and then in another search sequence, they'll appear on 'Prime'. It's terrible. 

I use https://www.justwatch.com/uk/provider/amazon-prime-video/new to have a look. It's not perfect, but it's better than Prime's search.

• Paid Members

I've just finished S1-4 of The Expanse. Big fan of it - I think it does space epic incredibly well, and a lot of the characters are very likeable. The only one that I really disliked by the end was

Murtry

, and he was meant to be the villain - there's not really been any non-shades of grey villains in the series. 

I also think all the other characters on the Rocinante are more interesting than Holden, but I am especially a massive fan of Amos and Alex, with Naomi a close third. 

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

Reveal hidden contents

Murtry

I also think all the other characters on the Rocinante are more interesting than Holden, but I am especially a massive fan of Amos and Alex, with Naomi a close third. 

That's kind of the point of Holden. The books especially make it explicit that Holden's need to be noble and right is very often a massive pain in the arse. He's pretty much a commentary on white meat baby faces and how shitty they'd be in real life.

Incredibly, Dark manages to stick the ending. I’d heard it did but I had serious doubts after watching most or the third series scratching my head. It’ll be interesting to watch it back to see how well the timelines crossover but the continuity has always been excellent. A bit of a rarity to have a time travel story with a satisfying ending. Imagine if Lost had been planned out this well.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Making my way through Hoops on Netflix at the moment. Crass cartoon made by them based around a high school basketball team. It's an easy watch, funny at times, mental at others but it's passing the time. 

I've really enjoyed finally binging Elite as well. It's a Spanish original mystery drama set in a private school in Spain. It's a bit like Riverdale meets Gossip Girl meets Skins but it's very good. I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys foreign drama. The English dub over at times can be somewhat funny too if you want to try that instead of subtitles and Spanish. 

• Paid Members

I've just breezed through 3 series' of Rust Valley Restorers on Netflix. Not usually my thing with it being all about car restoration, however the cast are super likeable and their relationships with each other are great,l.

Some genuine laugh out loud moments, along with some touching moments as well.

Avery is the MVP.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the first season of Cobra Kai last night and loved it. 

As someone who has been a massive Karate Kid fan since I was a small child, it seemed Cobra Kai re-enforced just how strange it is that so much money was spent on, and how so many people are truly invested in a regional under-18 karate tournament. 

It must be a very boring town if the winner of a childs karate tournament is a local celebrity at all, never mind 36 years later. 

I still love it though. When I saw that glimpse of the yellow truck with the original music from the film playing in the last episode, I got fully erect. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Finished the first season of Cobra Kai last night and loved it. 

As someone who has been a massive Karate Kid fan since I was a small child, it seemed Cobra Kai re-enforced just how strange it is that so much money was spent on, and how so many people are truly invested in a regional under-18 karate tournament. 

It must be a very boring town if the winner of a childs karate tournament is a local celebrity at all, never mind 36 years later. 

I still love it though. When I saw that glimpse of the yellow truck with the original music from the film playing in the last episode, I got fully erect. 

S2 is just as good, if not better. We breezed through both seasons in a few days. Great show!

The second series certainly has some brilliant highs but it threatens to wade in to Glee territory at times with all the teenie bopper drama. They need to reign that in a little bit next series because the kids are all a bunch of shitarse actors, apart from Hawk who is obviously best. I just want Johnny getting drunk hitting stuff and learning lessons with bits of Larusso being an unintentional dick. 

Hopefully they follow the obvious arc the shows heading in and wrap it up in series 3. 

Just now, Mr_Danger said:

The second series certainly has some brilliant highs but it threatens to wade in to Glee territory at times with all the teenie bopper drama. They need to reign that in a little bit next series because the kids are all a bunch of shitarse actors, apart from Hawk who is obviously best. I just want Johnny getting drunk hitting stuff and learning lessons with bits of Larusso being an unintentional dick. 

Hopefully they follow the obvious arc the shows heading in and wrap it up in series 3. 

I wouldn't go that far, I think the actors who play Miguel and Dmitry are good too, as well as the main man Burt.

But yeah, Tanner Buchanan who plays Robbie is dreadful.  'Sam' is a weak actress as are 'Tory' and 'Aisha', then again Ralph Maccio won't be winning any awards soon either.

I thought the first season was the much better of the two and the second season does drag at times, primarily with anything that's nothing to do with Cobra Kai (trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible).

• 2 weeks later...