UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Yeah Chromecast would probably be your best option if you’re on a budget, but if you find yourself looking for a new TV in the near future, most Smart TVs come with the relevant apps already installed, or easily able to download to the TV. Richer Sounds have 43” 4K TVs starting from around £300.

I wouldn't rely on that. A lot of Smart TV's are now not able to update apps as the software is no longer supported. My 2014 Panasonic, which was a mid range model at the time, for example, I lost YouTube and IPlayer amongst other Apps. Just told me they could no longer be supported and they stopped working. I would never buy a Smart TV for that side of things now.

I love my Apple TV, but they are pricey. As others have said, Firestick, Roku or Chromecast will give you what you need for not much expense.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Yeah Chromecast would probably be your best option if you’re on a budget, but if you find yourself looking for a new TV in the near future, most Smart TVs come with the relevant apps already installed, or easily able to download to the TV. Richer Sounds have 43” 4K TVs starting from around £300.

3 hours ago, stumobir said:

I’d suggest chromecast too, it also allows you to cast your laptop/tablet on to the TV so comes in handy if you’re streaming from the less reputable/legal places. 

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I wouldn't rely on that. A lot of Smart TV's are now not able to update apps as the software is no longer supported. My 2014 Panasonic, which was a mid range model at the time, for example, I lost YouTube and IPlayer amongst other Apps. Just told me they could no longer be supported and they stopped working. I would never buy a Smart TV for that side of things now.

I love my Apple TV, but they are pricey. As others have said, Firestick, Roku or Chromecast will give you what you need for not much expense.

Thanks for these, guys - that's very much appreciated. I never buy Apple: their products in general are massively over-priced for what they are, I can't abide closed systems, and their advertising is fucking smug.

Like I say, I haven't the finances for a new TV and probably won't for some time as my business is from an industry that's been hit by the pandemic, but thanks for the recommendation. 

I actually made a note some time ago that if and when I do get round to buying expensive electronics, I will buy them from Richer Sounds as Julian Richer has handed over a majority sharehold to his workers and turned the company into a co-operative, good man.

I have some things to think about here. Currently torn - a friend got me an Echo Dot for Christmas, so a Firestick would be a good idea in that regard, but I'm not a massive fan of Amazon (in a similar way to how I don't like Apple, plus Bezos is a cunt), Chromecast seems to have the most recommendations and the most reliability, but research also tells me that Roku is the most user friendly and has wider support.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I have some things to think about here. Currently torn - a friend got me an Echo Dot for Christmas, so a Firestick would be a good idea in that regard, but I'm not a massive fan of Amazon (in a similar way to how I don't like Apple, plus Bezos is a cunt), Chromecast seems to have the most recommendations and the most reliability, but research also tells me that Roku is the most user friendly and has wider support.

Just to make things harder for you, I've had a few Roku systems and found they're decent for about 6 months then suddenly the connection and picture quality plummets.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Just to make things harder for you, I've had a few Roku systems and found they're decent for about 6 months then suddenly the connection and picture quality plummets.

OK, that starts to help clarify things, actually. Looking increasingly like a Chromecast. Thanks for that.

• Paid Members

@Carbomb my last TV and sound bar came from them. Always good service and reasonably priced. Plus if you go in they know their shit. If you go to a Currys or similar I find the staff often no nothing. I know this cos back in the day I asked my sister in law, who worked in that section what was the difference HD ready and full HD and she had no idea, yet her job was to flog em!

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@Carbomb my last TV and sound bar came from them. Always good service and reasonably priced. Plus if you go in they know their shit. If you go to a Currys or similar I find the staff often no nothing. I know this cos back in the day I asked my sister in law, who worked in that section what was the difference HD ready and full HD and she had no idea, yet her job was to flog em!

I've just been on their site to check for streaming devices, and it seems they only stock Roku. Not that I've completely written off the idea of getting one, but the Chromecast is very much in the lead.

• Paid Members
Just now, Carbomb said:

I've just been on their site to check for streaming devices, and it seems they only stock Roku. Not that I've completely written off the idea of getting one, but the Chromecast is very much in the lead.

I had a Roku stick, no issues myself. But if you wait for Black Friday there will be deals on all of that stuff. Always is

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I had a Roku stick, no issues myself. But if you wait for Black Friday there will be deals on all of that stuff. Always is

Of course! Forgot we had that coming up.

• 2 weeks later...

Aunty Donna's Big Ol' House of Fun

An absolutely mental sketch show/sitcom from the Australian sketch trio. If you like things like the more surreal side of comedy like Tim & Eric, Comedy Bang Bang, NTSF:SD:SUV and Children's Hospital then this should be right up your street. The songs at the start of each episode had me crying with laughter.

• Paid Members

I watched a couple of episodes of the Lego Jurassic World series on Netflix, and it's a great fun kids' show. Really refreshing after how completely shit the real movies have got. I like how Lego can take a franchise that takes itself far too seriously, and just have fun with it without undermining the central premise. They take the bits of the Jurassic World films that are already stretching believability and just lean into it - Owen can basically control any dinosaur, with complex instructions, just by clicking his little dog behaviour toy.

One of the recurring plotlines is around Dennis Nedry's nephew trying to sabotage the park in revenge for his uncle, while searching for buried pirate treasure on the island. An infinitely better plot than the last three movies.

• Paid Members
On 11/14/2020 at 4:18 PM, wordsfromlee said:

Aunty Donna's Big Ol' House of Fun

An absolutely mental sketch show/sitcom from the Australian sketch trio. If you like things like the more surreal side of comedy like Tim & Eric, Comedy Bang Bang, NTSF:SD:SUV and Children's Hospital then this should be right up your street. The songs at the start of each episode had me crying with laughter.

The Ellen sketch is just magnificent. 

• Paid Members

I know I'm really late to the dance with this (no surprise there), but I watched both Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes over the weekend. Both great shows. Life On Mars sets things up nicely, but apparently John Simm left after the second series, so they had to wrap it up early.

Ashes To Ashes feels like a really interesting trilogy of series.The ending has a massive shift in tone and feel. The whole series feels very "TV" until the very last episode, which has this really cinematic thing going on. Heaps of 70s and 80s nostalgia. Some decent gags, nice homages to cop shows and a little bit of a Sci fi thing running through it as well. I also read that the creators are working on a third show called Lazarus that'll continue things along. 

I've not watched it yet, but saw a series called Young Wallander in my Netflix recommendations. I've stuck it on my list as I loved the Branagh series, which I'm also going to give another watch some time.

Edited by jazzygeofferz