UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

• Paid Members
On 10/28/2020 at 8:16 PM, Merzbow said:

The Queen's Gambit on Netflix is pretty amazing, Anya Taylor Joy completely owns it in an almost one woman show. I never thought I'd be so engrossed in a show about chess.

Do you need to have more chess knowledge than that episode of Bottom to fully appreciate this? Because I prefer to watch Anya Taylor Joy in (almost) everything as she's one of the best actresses on the planet.

I watched about just over half of Ted Lasso on the weekend. I’ve seen loads of great reviews for it and I’m quite surprised. For the uninitiated it’s about an American football coach played by Jason Sudekis who comes over to manage a fictional lower mid table premier league club as part of a revenge plot by the love rat ex Chairman’s ex wife who wants to ruin his football team.

If it sounds like some mad Dream Team plot line that’s because that’s how it comes across only with Jason Sudekis as a super likeable sweet natured and deceptively smart sports coach. I found that I quite liked it to a point but didn’t laugh once. Quite similar to the other Apple TV sitcom Mythic Quest in that it’s quite well observed comedy but not at all funny.

I’ve also gotten to series 7 of It’s Always Sunny. Series 6 was by far my favourite so far  despite them really running with the Dennis is a rapist thing quite a lot. The good thing is that the characters are so ridiculous and despicable that I can’t imagine them turning in to caricatures of themselves anymore than they started off as. It’s definitely entered in to my favourites sitcoms list.

9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Do you need to have more chess knowledge than that episode of Bottom to fully appreciate this? Because I prefer to watch Anya Taylor Joy in (almost) everything as she's one of the best actresses on the planet.

You don't but I'm pretty sure she drinks an Ester Rantzen at some point.

Fuck knows what thread it should go in but I’ve finished “The Boys”. It was alright, Homelander is brilliant but as much as I like Karl Urban, his accent took me out of it. His character was shit too. Ooh he calls everyone a cunt! What an edgy guy!  Maybe it was the point but it reminded me of bedroom edgelords. The show was better when he wasn’t on screen. 

• Paid Members

Not sure if this is the right thread, so apologies if it should be somewhere else, but I need a little advice:

I have a pretty old HD TV that I can't really afford to replace at the moment. It's perfectly fine for watching things, and I'm able to get Netflix via the Virgin Media TiVo box. But the TiVo box is also quite old, and has been replaced by Virgin's latest generation box, which they're still charging for at the moment. Between the TV's old firmware not being able to update, and the TiVo not being able to either, I'm pretty much unable to get Amazon Prime Video (which I have an account for but am only able to access via my also-near-obsolete tablet), and Netflix is now slow as shit.

The question is this: I'm fairly sure there's some kind of device I can plug into any TV, on to which I can download streaming apps and watch. Which one is it? I thought it might be the Fire Stick or Kodi, but I've been told that those would require me to pay some kind of extra subscription, when all I want is to do a one-time payment to buy the device, and use streaming services I'm already subscribed to. 

In case it's not clear, am a complete techno-weenie, and would appreciate any info.

• Paid Members

if you buy a firestick you can log into Prime Video and Netflix and watch them with your current subscriptions. No extra charges once you've bought the stick.

Firesticks are on offer on Amazon at the moment too.

• Paid Members

Hey Egg, thanks for that, will take a look. I was also just told that a Roku box might do the same job as well, any thoughts? Would be good to be able to compare.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

I use a ChromeCast, @Carbomb. You just buy the device and then I use my phone to cast apps to it. We use it with YouTube, Prime, Netflix, iPlayer, All4, etc. All the usual stuff.

Thanks, rick! OK, some good stuff to check here. Many thanks, people.

Yeah Chromecast would probably be your best option if you’re on a budget, but if you find yourself looking for a new TV in the near future, most Smart TVs come with the relevant apps already installed, or easily able to download to the TV. Richer Sounds have 43” 4K TVs starting from around £300.