UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

• Paid Members

Netflix just added Leave No Trace, starring mine and @Scott Malbranque's personal favourite man Ben Foster. It's a lovely film.

They also just added The Cured, which is a zombie film but a good zombie film and really under-appreciated.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The "Adventures of.." movies, those ones from the seventies that were a counterpart to the "Confessions of..." series appear to be on Amazon Prime.

12 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The "Adventures of.." movies, those ones from the seventies that were a counterpart to the "Confessions of..." series appear to be on Amazon Prime.

Yes I watched about 20 mins of one, Plumber I think.  Absolutely fascinating to see his 70s bedsit, they’re surprisingly well shot.  The tits seem quite tame by modern standards, but as a piece of social history they’re worth a quick look.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Loki said:

Yes I watched about 20 mins of one, Plumber I think.  Absolutely fascinating to see his 70s bedsit, they’re surprisingly well shot.  The tits seem quite tame by modern standards, but as a piece of social history they’re worth a quick look.

Are the Carry On Films on Britbox? Something like that or the Ealing Comedies alongside all that old TV could get some attention on it. 

• Awards Moderator
On 5/27/2020 at 5:52 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Anybody started on Snowpiercer next? Hearing some really good things and might start it next week when Killing Eve's current series ends.

I enjoyed it, the two episodes that have been on anyway. Felt similar to and at the same time different enough from the film that it didn’t invite too many comparisons. Daveed Diggs has been excellent so far as you’d expect and there are some strong names in the supporting cast - Jennifer Connelly’s the big one but Mark Margolis is in there too. Maybe too early to say for definite but the Snowpiercer setting seems ideal for the noirish detective drama this looks like it’ll be.

Watched all of Servant on Apple TV. Far more shit stuff than there was good stuff. Too many episodes.

Finished The Last Dance. I retract what I said about wanting less Jordan and more Rodman, Jordan Is fascinating and even with the questionable control he had over the content he still came across as a bit of a bell. Be interesting to read the stuff that’s been said post show.

Watched a few of The Morning Show and it’s very good. It’s a tightrope they’re walking with the me too stuff but  they’ve got the balance right so far. 

I think my favourite thing on Apple TV has been Dickinson, which is a comedic retelling of the life of Emily Dickinson as played by the excellent Hailee Steinfeld. It’s tonally jarring but if you can get past the modern soundtrack and occasional modern dialect there’s plenty to like about it. It’s better than Upstart Crow at least.

20 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Watched a few of The Morning Show and it’s very good. It’s a tightrope they’re walking with the me too stuff but  they’ve got the balance right so far. 

Yeah I think overall I did enjoy that show, and it had a lot more entertaining moments than it did LOOK AT ME, I'M BEING ALL PROGRESSIVE stuff. It's a very very tough subject to deal with without viewing it through cynical eyes, but with the talent on board I think they managed to do it justice.

• Paid Members

Abandoned Kimmy Schmidt a couple of episodes into the fourth series. I really liked the first two and then it went sharply downhill in the third (aside from that mockumentary episode with Jon Hamm in it, which was excellent) and I couldn't stand any more of it. Fell into the Friends trap of the characters just all becoming utter wankers.

Started on Snowpiercer. Weird that they've decided to make it a detective mystery. Slow start but not too bad if not exactly essential yet.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Started on Snowpiercer. Weird that they've decided to make it a detective mystery. Slow start but not too bad if not exactly essential yet.

Not started it yet, after only just watching the film at the weekend. But it was signed for two seasons so maybe there’s a long form story planned

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I attempted Snowpiercer but the main actor is a complete charisma black hole

Daveed Diggs blasphemy this early in the morning. Blindspotting says hi.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Lost Bullet

French actioner that continues Netflix's decent run of original action films. One truly great scene and several other good ones dotted about, a very solid 90 minutes, which is the least I always ask for from something like this. A certainty for a Hollywood remake too.