UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

• Paid Members

I fancy binging some US sitcom - anyone got any recommendations for Netflix?

Just to give an idea of likes and dislikes - Brooklyn 99, It's Always Sunny, Community and New Girl are all favourites. I fucking detest Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother.

The Good Place (Netflix)

Archer (Netflix)

Rick & Morty (Netflix)

Modern Family (Amazon)

The Middle ( Amazon)

37 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I fancy binging some US sitcom - anyone got any recommendations for Netflix?

Just to give an idea of likes and dislikes - Brooklyn 99, It's Always Sunny, Community and New Girl are all favourites. I fucking detest Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother.

Schitts Creek. Absolutely love it.

• Paid Members

Cheers both - I'd narrowed it down to Schitts Creek, Modern Family or Arrested Development so will definitely be one of those three!

Forgot to mention Good Place is another I loved.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

3 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Cheers both - I'd narrowed it down to Schitts Creek, Modern Family or Arrested Development so will definitely be one of those three!

Forgot to mention Good Place is another I loved.

Said it before but Annie Murphy in Schitts Creek is such an underrated performance. They're all great but she's phenomenal.

I've started LAST MAN ON EARTH on Amazon Prime. Will Forte always makes me laugh (as well as being a really good actor as well - watch Nebraska if you haven't) Only a few episodes in but enjoying it a lot.

Also finished all of DOCUMENTARY NOW. Bill Hader and Fred Armisen on top form. Some great episodes in there. Bill Hader is ridiculously talented

2 hours ago, Factotum said:

I've started LAST MAN ON EARTH on Amazon Prime. Will Forte always makes me laugh (as well as being a really good actor as well - watch Nebraska if you haven't) Only a few episodes in but enjoying it a lot.

It's a great show for it's entire four season run which is a hell of an accomplishment considering the premise of the show.

• Paid Members

Future Man on Amazon Prime is my favourite sitcom in ages. As a huge 80s action/scifi fan (who isn't) its wildly entertaining. It's from Seth Rogan so if you dig that sort of sweary adult (juvenile) comedy you'll dig it. Cory Wolfheart is the best character since Ron Swanson.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

If you have Amazon as well then Parks & Rec is all on there if you haven't seen it.

Yeah, this. Looking at the kind of sitcoms you like, Parks & Rec will be right up your street. Also Arrested Development & The Good Place.

Who recommended 6 Underground?  What a fucking waste of 2 hours that was.

I should have bailed as soon as I saw Michael Bay's name on it.  Just the absolutely typical vacuous sizzle and no steak.

He might be the worst successful director of all time. He does not know how to tell a coherent story. He does not know how to progress characters.  The concept of pacing is completely alien to him.  This was just one CGI-laden set piece after another, with no emotional or conceptual connection, no story, no likeable protgonists, nothing to make you care in the slightest.  Occasionally they'd drop a slomo shot of a child in there holding a cuddly toy to create drama, like something from Drop The Dead Donkey.

Worst of all was the relentless, gung-ho US jingoistic, we're above international law, wild west bullshit machismo.  How anyone can make a film like this with a straight face, after Team America so cuttingly parodied the "Americans in Europe, accidentally destroying cultural artefacts".  The innocent civilian bodycount was really sky-high here as well.  Whoopsie, another bystander mown down!  Never mind.

At one point, they use Abi Dhabi as a stand-in for Las Vegas.  How it's cheaper to shoot there than actually IN Las Vegas, I don't know.  Equally, they were driving round Florence and drove down a street in Siena, because Italy innit.

Just awful, awful film-making all round.

• Paid Members

I have to say I was hugely disappointed with series 2 of Mindhunter. A really surprising drop-off in quality.

It just becomes another cop show. It completely forgets what makes the first series so different and so good. Focusing so much time on Atlanta and almost no time on the original remit is a huge error. The escalation of stuff in the personal lives is predictable and occasionally really stupid. To be honest, maybe they're better off not doing a third series unless they went back to the old format. A real shame.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I have to say I was hugely disappointed with series 2 of Mindhunter. A really surprising drop-off in quality.

It just becomes another cop show. It completely forgets what makes the first series so different and so good. Focusing so much time on Atlanta and almost no time on the original remit is a huge error. The escalation of stuff in the personal lives is predictable and occasionally really stupid. To be honest, maybe they're better off not doing a third series unless they went back to the old format. A real shame.

While I think they made some mis-steps (the storyline involving the son, especially), it was helped a lot for me by the fact I'd just listened to The Atlanta Monster podcast, which covered the story in some depth. This meant I was far more interested in the Atlanta story than I might have otherwise been. As a result, I liked it - basically, it's about hubris in this season, and overconfidence.

They're restricted somewhat in the real-life stories it's based on - although I think they've done a good job with that overall. I'm fascinated to see what'll happen with the BTK story though, so I'd like them to get to that, which is reason enough for a third season.