UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

• Paid Members

The first season is superb and 2nd still really good but it suffers from classic netflix padding.

23 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Also, Hannah Gross tho.

Rewatching Due South at the moment, weird to think I've seen his daughter's tits.

I started watching Tales From the Loop on Amazon last night. For anyone unfamiliar with it it's a kind of sci fi anthology series set in some Minnesota type american town revolving around a mysterious underground lab. It's got a belting aesthetic of grim 80's with mad robots and sciencey stuff laying out to waste around the place.

Apparently it's from some Swedish artist who's paintings reflect that aesthetic. Jonathan Pryce plays the head science guy and Rebecca Hall is his science gal daughter in law. Phillip Glass is on music too.

Only two episodes in but i'll be binging the other six before my sub is up in a week.

• Paid Members

Currently making our way through The Money Heist. 

Season 1 and 2 were a pretty easy viewing. There are bits that make me want to keep watching and equally, bits that make me scratch my head. I like the overall theme, but a lot of the character Interaction (Mainly Rio and Tokyo's relationship) seems like boring filler. We've just started season 3 and it feels a bit like flogging a dead horse for the sake of it. 

Is it worth keeping with? 

1 hour ago, Silky Kisser said:

Currently making our way through The Money Heist. 

Season 1 and 2 were a pretty easy viewing. There are bits that make me want to keep watching and equally, bits that make me scratch my head. I like the overall theme, but a lot of the character Interaction (Mainly Rio and Tokyo's relationship) seems like boring filler. We've just started season 3 and it feels a bit like flogging a dead horse for the sake of it. 

Is it worth keeping with? 

I would say yes, but it's nowhere near as good as the first two series, so up to you. Utterly thrilling TV the first series.

Edited by SuperBacon

Because I'm going fucking mad in the house I've started watching Terrace House. It's the most calming thing ever and I'm far too invested in the relationships of a bunch of Japanese people a good 10 to 15 years younger than me.

The telling thing culturally is that 2 lasses had by any reasonable Western standard, a minor disagreement over a guy and the housemates and studio panel called it the worst fight in the history of the show. No one even tried to stab the other with a fork!

I need this virus to fuck off.

42 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Cast spoiler for series 5 of Terrace House (which is ongoing on Japanese networks):

Reveal hidden contents

One of the contestants is Hana Kimura, a relatively big star in the Stardom wrestling promotion.

Aye, that's primarily why I started watching. Part 3 just dropped on Netflix. (See Spoiler) shows up halfway through part 2.

• Paid Members

Loved the second episode of Mindhunter. The guy playing Ed Kemper was absolutely fantastic, and the touches of humour are great. This is definitely the best work that David Fincher's done since Zodiac.

• Awards Moderator
46 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The guy playing Ed Kemper was absolutely fantastic

I wasn't familiar with the real killer beforehand, and was astonished what a likeness it is. 

I bet he'd do a good Fink. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Moderators
On 4/12/2020 at 10:06 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Tiger King is a no from me.

It starts off coasting along on everyone being an admitted lunatic but once it actually has to start looking beyond their facade, it's an absolute mess. It's about three episodes too long, amazingly transphobic, and largely fails to address the subject of animal abuse from almost everyone on show here. Netflix are on a real shit streak with their documentaries and this is only going to inspire them to get worse, I reckon.

How was it transphobic.. did I miss something? I was only half paying attention at times, as I had it on whilst I was working.

If it wasn't for the 2 minutes of animal conservation message at the end of the last episode I would say that your comment about animal abuse is very odd - you're complaining that the documentary isn't about what you wanted it to be about; that's not the story they were telling so why would they focus on that aspect?

I do agree that it was messy and overlong though. They lost their way with the editing and the narrative was not very concise by the end. I think I'm too late to the party on most of the discussion on this but despite the flaws I still thought it was very good. From what I knew about it going in I didn't think I would get into it or be able to enjoy it, but I got totally sucked in - I have a hard time engaging usually if something is totally bleak and everyone's a cunt, but this had both of those things.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

How was it transphobic.. did I miss something? I was only half paying attention at times, as I had it on whilst I was working.

If it wasn't for the 2 minutes of animal conservation message at the end of the last episode I would say that your comment about animal abuse is very odd - you're complaining that the documentary isn't about what you wanted it to be about; that's not the story they were telling so why would they focus on that aspect?

Saff Saffery was repeatedly referred to as 'her' and 'she' but he's a trans man.

This documentary was about five hours long and they couldn't dedicate a good chunk of that to the animal abuse going on? It's three episodes too long, yet if they'd concentrated on that then would have had some actual content to fill them with. It's nothing to do with what I wanted to see or otherwise.