UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

Documentaries will always be edited to show what's the most interesting story to the viewer. In the end, the animal abuse wasn't actually the interesting part of the story. They made a decision to go with the crazy shit instead and to be honest it has totally paid off. It's got everyone talking.

Does that make it a 'good' documentary? Maybe not, but you can't argue against how successful it has been.

Just a quick addendum to my recommendation for Tales from the Loop. It's depressing as fuuuuuuuck. Not that I was selling it as sunshine and lollypops but I'm half way through and every episode has been a right downer.

There's a cry in it that is one of the saddest cries I've ever seen. Between that cry and the one in Ozark season 3 It's been a good month for men crying on tv.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Documentaries will always be edited to show what's the most interesting story to the viewer. In the end, the animal abuse wasn't actually the interesting part of the story. They made a decision to go with the crazy shit instead and to be honest it has totally paid off. It's got everyone talking.

Does that make it a 'good' documentary? Maybe not, but you can't argue against how successful it has been.

Who is? Absolutely nobody.

It was stupid not to focus on the animal abuse. By and large it does a great job at showing up the main players as being massive cunts. There's no reason, for sheer entertainment purposes, as exploitative as that is, why they couldn't have worked their mistreatment of animals into that equation. Instead of dragging out the last three episodes to the point of sheer tedium.

• Moderators

Or they could have just made a shorter and more concise story about the crazy shit that went down. Which I think would have been a much better artistic choice than cramming in the animal abuse stuff that you seem to be getting hung up on.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Or they could have just made a shorter and more concise story about the crazy shit that went down. Which I think would have been a much better artistic choice than cramming in the animal abuse stuff that you seem to be getting hung up on.

A typically passive aggressive misunderstanding of what I'm trying to say but ok.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

A typically passive aggressive misunderstanding of what I'm trying to say but ok.

No not really. First you go on about the animal abuse and the long running time. And then your entire argument for this not being something that you specifically subjectively wanted to see more of is that they had more time to fill so why not show this?

You have yet to make an argument as to why including more detail on the animal abuse would have made the documentary better. If you have a reason then please do share..

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

No not really. First you go on about the animal abuse and the long running time. And then your entire argument for this not being something that you specifically subjectively wanted to see more of is that they had more time to fill so why not show this?

You have yet to make an argument as to why including more detail on the animal abuse would have made the documentary better. If you have a reason then please do share..

I'm pretty sure I've stated several times that this documentary is too long. But when was the last time a Netflix documentary wasn't too long? This is their template now. They want five to seven hours of 'content' out of the subject matter.

I completely agree it should have been shorter. That's the ideal solution. That's not what Netflix do though. All I'm saying is there was more pertinent material they could have included here rather than padding it out with repeating itself about Joe Exotic's legal problems.

• Moderators

Ok sure. So you made a silent assumption that the running time has to be what it was so therefore the only solution would be to fill it with better material. Surely you can see there's no way I could have read your mind? All I was asking is why, and now you've explained it we are in complete agreement. Artistically, a shorter more concise documentary would be better, but if it had to be longer then that would have been a good thing to use the running time on.

Pop it in here rather than the NBA thread, as maybe some people won't be aware of it but the first two episodes of The Last Dance (Netflix) really are superb, and set things up nicely for the rest of the series. 

There is a load of episodes left, but the pacing of the first two have been spot on (how about that Netflix?), and I'd say anyone with a passing interest in basketball/sport would enjoy this.

I also just hope that Scottie Pippen is happy forever, as I love him.

• Paid Members

I was rather annoyed that they are holding later episodes back until the 27th. I could have very easily binge watched all 10. I never really got into the whole Basketball craze. Was obviously aware of it. Learned loads from these first two episodes. Scottie Pippen does indeed come across as a very stand up person. Really looking forward to future episodes. 

• Paid Members

Definitely. It is the smart way of putting it out. The serIes is showing a side of Jordan that I wasn't really aware of. The way the personalities have been set up through the two episodes is pretty masterful. Really enjoying it.

12 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Pop it in here rather than the NBA thread, as maybe some people won't be aware of it but the first two episodes of The Last Dance (Netflix) really are superb, and set things up nicely for the rest of the series. 

There is a load of episodes left, but the pacing of the first two have been spot on (how about that Netflix?), and I'd say anyone with a passing interest in basketball/sport would enjoy this.

I also just hope that Scottie Pippen is happy forever, as I love him.

Probably to do with this being an ESPN and NBA production rather than Netflix, as I think their main association with this is they’ve brought the international rights for it outside the States rather than having much to do it being put together. Like Better Call Saul I guess.

That will explain the scheduling as well, as it is going along with how ESPN are showing it over there.