UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

• Paid Members

Yep. It definitely has that 30 for 30 feel about it. Helwani tweeted something about the producer/director of The Last Dance the other day. He's supposed to be an extremely committed and fastidious a out his craft. I think it shows.

• Paid Members

I've just finished Part 2 of La Casa De Papel and it's absolutely incredible. Legit one of the best programmes I've ever seen. I don't really watch much TV and on the rare time I decide to check out a new series, it takes me months to get through it. Not La Casa De Papel though....I've flown through Parts 1 and 2 in a couple of days, to the point I physically felt unable to go to bed the other night because I had to see what happened next....repeatedly. I can't imagine the second 2 parts will top the first but wow. What a ride!Ā 

Does anyone ever start in on a highly acclaimed drama and.. it just doesn't click?

We've had American Gods on our list for ages, and global pandemic seemed like a good moment to get stuck in. Ā Despite the amazing cast and great source material... we're not feeling it. Ā Very odd style and slightly stilted pacing.

We had similar issues with Breaking Bad - it seems it's number one on everyone's Greatest Dramas but after two series we just... moved onto something else.

9 minutes ago, Loki said:

Does anyone ever start in on a highly acclaimed drama and.. it just doesn't click?

We've had American Gods on our list for ages, and global pandemic seemed like a good moment to get stuck in. Ā Despite the amazing cast and great source material... we're not feeling it. Ā Very odd style and slightly stilted pacing.

We had similar issues with Breaking Bad - it seems it's number one on everyone's Greatest Dramas but after two series we just... moved onto something else.

i hated season two of Breaking Bad as well. It gets a lot better though.

American Gods is very middling. I've never gotten around to watching the second series despite enjoying the first. I thought I'd have another crack at it so rewatched the first series again, enjoyed it and I still haven't watched the second series. Ricky Whittle is surprisingly good as Shadow and Ian McShane absolutely steals the show but they just don't find the balance right for the mad shit. I think it needs to be more David Lynch-y.

I finished Tales from The Loop. It's just really fucking sad. Of the eight stories only one has an ending that doesn't make me ache inside.Ā 

• Paid Members

Seven episodes in on Mindhunter, and I'm still loving it.

The only bump in the road I found so far was right at the end of episode seven:-

I thought Ford being put off sex because Debbie was wearing high heels was really obvious and cheap, and her reaction to it didn't really ring true with her character

It really is extremely good though, and I think the steady build of characterisation, especially of Tench and Wendy Carr, has been superbly done.

• Paid Members

Extraction

Not *quite* as good as Six Underground, but this is still one of the best action films I've seen for some time. Hemsworth is fantastic, there's an incredible half hour long fight / foot chase / car chase / one-on-one brawl / another foot chase in the first half of this which has to be seen to be believed. Netflix should stick to action films with their originals.

They really go to town on the concept episodes in Community series 2 don't they. I won't complain too much as cowgirlĀ Annie was just running in slow motion down a corridor but it definitely feels different from the first series.

At least they make Jeff more of a dick and greased up Chang hitting the vents Willy style is a delight.

Edited by Mr_Danger

19 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

I really enjoyed Afterlife series 2. Exactly like the first in terms of the tone being allĀ over the placeĀ and the whole thing being ridiculous, but a couple of the scenes had me laughing harder than anything on TV has in years.

I agree. It's pretty much more of the same. Call someone a cunt, watch video's of the dead wife, dog stops him killing himself. Still enjoyed it for the most part though. And Diane Morgan in those glassesĀ šŸ˜

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

They really go to town on the concept episodes in Community series 2 don't they. I won't complain too much as cowgirlĀ Annie was just running in slow motion down a corridor but it definitely feels different from the first series.

At least they make Jeff more of a dick and greased up Chang hitting the vents Willy style is a delight.

They really go overboard on the concept/meta stuff towards the end of its run. Almost every episode has a variant of 'we know this is a TV show lol'.Ā 

I really like the show and it's watchable all the way through, but quality-wise it does fall of a cliff around season 4.