Loki

UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

29 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Only thing that might put you off is that it's dubbed in English (German made), but I've watched in German with subtitles and it hasn't taken anything away from the show.

So you either have to listen in badly dubbed English or READ it???

Fuck that.

It's well worth the sacrifice, I started in dubs and persevered.

It's very good and all but it does get really daft really quickly and it gets a little too 'continental' for my tastes in parts. 

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

So you either have to listen in badly dubbed English or READ it???

Fuck that.

Oh come on, watching European language dramas is surely on your hipster bingo card!

Edited by PunkStep

3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Oh come on, watching European language dramas is surely on your hipster bingo card!

Tis. Was being sarcy. 

I have been discovering Anthony Bourdain recently thanks to Parts Unknown being on Amazon. Yet another person I discover when they're already dead and so it's too late to imagine meeting them. His programmes are absolutely phenomenal and indeed they don't even seem like cooking programmes most of the time - more like a mix of travel and anthropology. It's all so very watchable and I love how he comes across as almost a Jack Kerouac/Hunter S Thompson kind of figure. The guy had my dream job. Above anything else I'd describe his shows as being very "human" television. I had never in my life expected to feel an urge to go to Beirut or South Korea but after seeing him there, both are now on the list. 

An absolutely brilliant man and he deserved far better than to go out hanging from a noose in a Strasbourg hotel room. A great loss to the world. 

He wrote well also - I’ve read a couple of his books.  He does come across as one of those characters whose drug dependency prevented from fully achieving his potential.

Any recommendations for Apple TV? Got a years free sub and outside of Mythic Quest I’ve heard nothing of the services offerings.

Is The Morning Show on Apple TV? That’s very good apparently. Also heard good things about Servant, give those a go!

@Mr_Danger I've heard good things about See, Defending Jacob and Trying. Defending Jacob is probably next on my to-watch list actually. 

Film-wise, The Banker is pretty good (great cast too) and Beastie Boys Story is apparently great, even if you're not a huge fan.

Netflix just added Vertigo, which I'm assuming is a mistake on their part as it was made before 2010. Needless to say it's quite good.

They've also added Psycho - except it's the remake. What is going on.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Knives Out is on Amazon Prime from the 12th June. One of the best films of last year. It's a Rian Johnson Whodunit for gods sake! Anyway, if you missed it, no excuse now, and if you were lucky to have seen it, it holds up for repeat viewings

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

They've also added Psycho - except it's the remake. What is going on.

They had the originalPsycho on at Christmas. Think they've got PSYCHI 2 on as well. They seem to lob on a few Hitchcock ones every now and again. Rear Window was on it a few months back.

Missing Link is good fun. Lots of recognisable names in this animated film. Chris Butler and Travis Knight were involved with the direction. I really enjoyed the animation style used. CGI backgrounds and actual models used for the characters and props. Very high quality stop motion. 

I enjoyed the humour too.

Edited by BigJag