UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

• Paid Members

Tiger King is a no from me.

It starts off coasting along on everyone being an admitted lunatic but once it actually has to start looking beyond their facade, it's an absolute mess. It's about three episodes too long, amazingly transphobic, and largely fails to address the subject of animal abuse from almost everyone on show here. Netflix are on a real shit streak with their documentaries and this is only going to inspire them to get worse, I reckon.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, waters44 said:

@jazzygeofferz you mentioned in the Coronavirus thread that you’re watching a show on Prime about Greek myth, what’s it called? I’m reading Stephen Fry’s book about the same thing at the moment and it’s fantastic 

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Seconded, please share! I've been falling down a Greek mythology rabbit hole on Wikipedia since I started played Assassin's Creed Odyssey. 

It's just called "The Great Greek Myths". Looks like a dub of a French show. There's some minimal animation, but it might as well just be audio. If you haven't already read it, I'd recommend giving Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology a read when you're done with Stephen Fry's Greek mythology stories.

Jim Henson's The Storyteller is on Prime as well. The second "season" is a set of Greek myths told by Michael Gambon. John Hurt as the Storyteller in the first setis good as well. They're more folk tales.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Unorthodox - New 4-part miniseries on Netflix about a 19-year-old Jewish woman who runs away from her arranged marriage in New York to go find her estranged mother in Berlin. Some really great TV with brilliant acting performances. A lot of it is in Yiddish with English subtitles but even my missus who hates stuff with subtitles was gripped. Two thumbs up.

Working my way towards the end of Community seaon 1 and I'm enjoying it but could Joel McHale be a more unlikeable protagonist than Zach Braff?

Granted he's meant to be a dick who get's a little bit less of a dick (is this his arc for every fucking episode?) but I don't know  how anyone thought building a sitcom around him was a good idea.

Alison Brie though! You sexy young Shelley Long you.

18 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Working my way towards the end of Community seaon 1 and I'm enjoying it but could Joel McHale be a more unlikeable protagonist than Zach Braff?

Granted he's meant to be a dick who get's a little bit less of a dick (is this his arc for every fucking episode?) but I don't know  how anyone thought building a sitcom around him was a good idea.

Alison Brie though! You sexy young Shelley Long you.

Mentioned it in another thread, but he's the reason I've given up twice on the show after a handful of episodes. I can't remember a worse leading character/actor for a big (ish) show 

Alison Brie over Gillian Jacobs? Behave yourself.

Gillian Jacobs looks like every other American college film sorority girl. Alison Brie would make me become the sort of man who wears trousers around the house and collared shirts under jumpers when we go to fancy eateries that don't do 2 meals for £7. She'd make me stop swearing in front of the kids and sell all my computer games to buy potted plants. I'd be an all round more considerate better person and absolutely hate myself for it but I'd know deep down I'm better with her than without her.

Or what Onyx said.

Edited by Mr_Danger

11 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Gillian Jacobs looks like every other American college film sorority girl. Alison Brie would make me become the sort of man who wears trousers around the house and collared shirts under jumpers when we go to fancy eateries than don't do 2 meals for £7. She'd make me stop swearing in front of the kids and sell all my computer games to buy potted plants. I'd be an all round more considerate bettter person and absolutely hate myself for it but I'd know deep down I'm better with her than without her.

Or what Onyx said.

Gillian Jacobs plays a sex and love addicted drug addict in Love. She's an absolute nightmare, horrible to everyone and a complete misanthrope who cheats on her boyfriend and ruins every relationship around her.

I've never been so attracted to a character in my life.

Spent the Easter weekend watching most of Schitt's Creek. What a charming show. Helped by the fact it has genuine comedic titans in it. Highly recommend it. Catherine O'Hara is a powerhouse/

Quick Edit - It's on Netflix

Edited by Factotum

6 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Spent the Easter weekend watching most of Schitt's Creek. What a charming show. Helped by the fact it has genuine comedic titans in it. Highly recommend it. Catherine O'Hara is a powerhouse/

Quick Edit - It's on Netflix

Love that show, but haven't caught the latest series yet. Annie Murphy is so underrated in this. She has better acting with her hands than most people do with their entire being.

She is wonderful. Ridiculously fit as well.

• Paid Members

Just started Mindhunter. I wasn't sure about watching it because I find David Fincher to be really hit-and-miss but the first episode was absolutely superb. Delighted to see Holt McCallany get such a big role, he's an excellent character actor. Loved the little moment in the cafeteria when someone drops their tray in the background and there's a small cheer.

Also, Hannah Gross tho.

• Awards Moderator

I just finished Mindhunter this week. It's great all the way through, especially both central guys. And any time they interview a convict it's electric, especially Ed Kemper.

Sadly it is in limbo at the moment and looks like a third season isn't likely. Though they have set up plenty just in case.