The (mostly bad) films of Kevin Smith

King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Clerks 2 to was a masterpiece in shitness. The most unself aware garbage. It was like a 90 minute Comic Relief skit where you go "well, its short notice, so you can excuse how fat they all look and how slap dash the script is." Not even Sam Fox's "Naughty Girls Need Love Too" could save it. And I was always in favour of Schindler's List using it to balance out the depressing scenes.

I used to really like Kevin Smith. I don't anymore. He's a much better storyteller when he's on stage than on film. I thought Red State was the switch I had been waiting for...but no. That utter nonsense with his kid was just..urgh. Also dress like an adult.

Its weird because Clerks is the only film of his that stands up. The rest have not aged well bar Jason Lee's performances.

• Paid Members

Yeah, he's a great talker, though I generally lose attention when he's banging on about weed. Still listen to his podcasts almost 12 years on. He's looking good after dropping that weight after his heart attack last year.

kevin-smith.jpg

His recent movies are indefensible, mind. Still love Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back though. Takes me right back to seeing it with my friends in the cinema after bunking off school for the day. Stupid, stupid fun.

• Paid Members

He's not moved on in 20 years, He's the M Night Shyamalan of indie films, a one trick pony that crashes whenever he tries to variate from his formula. He's never actually made a 'good' film, and I say that as someone who loves Clerks and Mallrats for what they are (Scripts with decent dialogue and a total lack of editing). I kinda feel sorry for him. He was so desperate to become an actual Director and film someone elses script, to move away from his comfort zone. What a poison chalice of a gift Cop Out was for him, a big budget vehicle for an indifferent Bruce Willis that didn't want to cooperate and a studio that wouldn't give him the job unless he storyboarded every shot in advance so he wouldn't fuck up.

He's a cracking storyteller though and is obviously likable judging by the number of people that keep coming back to work with him.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Clerks 2 to was a masterpiece in shitness. The most unself aware garbage. It was like a 90 minute Comic Relief skit where you go "well, its short notice, so you can excuse how fat they all look and how slap dash the script is." Not even Sam Fox's "Naughty Girls Need Love Too" could save it. And I was always in favour of Schindler's List using it to balance out the depressing scenes.

That was the beginning of the end for my Kevin Smith fandom. He'd made it incredibly clear that he wanted to do proper, grown up movies - it was even acknowledged in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back- but Jersey Girl was a massive failure so he went straight backwards. You can tell his heart isn't in Clerks 2 at all.

I liked Jersey Girl too. It was nowhere near as bad as folk made out.

The actual end of my fandom was when I started following him on Twitter. I'm sure he's still a decent guy in real life but he comes across terribly on there. His rants about critics, in particular, were just embarrassing. Especially now when he's quite happy to slag Cop Out off himself.

Edited by unfitfinlay

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

If I remember correctly, the final line of the movie is "Today is the first day of the rest of our lives". Everyone involved in the making of Clerks 2 at any point of the production should be shot for that line.

I absolutely adored Smith's films as a teenage but these days detest them. I think they seem really smart and subversive when you're younger and more impressionable but once you get some actual life experience in your 20s you realise how shit they are. Sadly, it's not on YouTube anymore but Jonathan Ross's review of Clerks 2 ends up in him brutally destroying Smith's entire filmography. It's a wonderful little watch if you can find it.

I love how hilariously bad Jeremy London is in Mallrats. Especially the bit where he storms onto the stage too early and speaks over the end Michael Rooker's line. The death stare he gives him is brilliant. The DVD commentary is pretty good too as it's mainly just Smith, Affleck and Jason Lee ripping into London for the entire thing about who much of a pain in the arse he was and how awful he was.