The (mostly bad) films of Kevin Smith

King Pitcos

• 2 months later...

So Clerks III is out and has gotten mostly fair-to-middling reviews, it seems. 

Anyone going to see it this weekend? Is it in many UK cinemas outside of London? 

I have no idea if it'll be in my local here in South Bohemia, but if it is I'll make the trek. Otherwise, I guess I'll stream it eventually. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

So Clerks III is out and has gotten mostly fair-to-middling reviews, it seems. 

Anyone going to see it this weekend? Is it in many UK cinemas outside of London? 

I have no idea if it'll be in my local here in South Bohemia, but if it is I'll make the trek. Otherwise, I guess I'll stream it eventually. 

My local Cineworld in Essex is showing it, so having just seen Clerks 2 for the first time, I will try and check it out this weekend. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Stunned that having Clerks 2 fresh in your mind is a motivating factor.

I actually thought on the whole it wasn't too bad other than the weird racism bit and the fact Dante seems to have the pulling power of Brad Pitt. Just thought I should watch that before seeing 3. I have seen some reviews calling it his best work in over a decade which isn't the endorsement I think it is meant to be.

• Moderators

I remember Clerks 2 being absolute garbage at the time. I can't imagine how bad it would be to watch now. I wouldn't even choose to watch the original Clerks as I bet it has aged terribly.

I read the synopsis for Clerks 3 and it sounds potentially less full of pandering to the audience that Clerks 2 was, but still sounds like a generic movie plot. That said I'm sure a lot of fat blokes now in their 30s/40s will show up in baggy cargo shorts and backwards facing baseball hats and love the nostalgia trip.

The dance scene in Clerks II was so bad I very nearly walked out. I was still a Kevin Smith fan at that point, and I think I can pinpoint that scene as the very moment I stopped being one. RED STATE got me sort of interested that he might be trying something, but fuck me since then its been utterly horrendous.

I will go to see CLERKS III out of sheer nostalgia. Those early films were so important to me at the time and I like Randall and Dante's interplay.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, neil said:

.mI wouldn't even choose to watch the original Clerks as I bet it has aged terribly.

Yeah it has. Rewatching it was just really meh. I mean, how it was made was obviously really unique but it’s really not aged well at all. 

Clerks 3 just sounds like Kevin Smiths life story coming full circle through his characters. As it’s costing me nothing to see I have only time to lose or leave and see something else

• Paid Members

When the Prince Charles Cinema reopened after the pandemic, the first thing they showed was Clerks, with a taped intro by Smith. It was, at the time, exactly what I needed to see - not in terms of the film itself, but he talked about making movies, and about how everyone watching was a potential movie-maker. That if you were the kind of person that hung around to watch credits, you were the kind of person that cared about film and the kind of person film needed more of.

He talked much less about the film than he did about filmmaking, and it was clear he was passionate about it. I'm not surprised the idea of effectively making a film about the movie was in his head. While I've stopped caring about a lot of his output, I'll go to this in a nostalgic mood and hopefully enjoy it. Fingers crossed, if it's not terrible, it'll be a sign he's getting enthusiastic about telling stories again - because I'd like to see more from a Kevin Smith that gives a shit.

• Paid Members

I don't think Clerks has aged at all, in that it's not really one of those 'of its time' films. It's just a daft, knockabout comedy with lots of very funny lines and good characters. I still watch it every year or so and its quality hasn't really diminished.