The (mostly bad) films of Kevin Smith

King Pitcos

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I don't think Clerks has aged at all, in that it's not really one of those 'of its time' films. It's just a daft, knockabout comedy with lots of very funny lines and good characters. I still watch it every year or so and its quality hasn't really diminished.

100% agree. Rewatched it about a month ago, and it was probably my favourite ever watch of it, and I've seen it more times than I can remember. The video ordering scene still kills me.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

It was, at the time, exactly what I needed to see - not in terms of the film itself, but he talked about making movies, and about how everyone watching was a potential movie-maker. That if you were the kind of person that hung around to watch credits, you were the kind of person that cared about film and the kind of person film needed more of.

Conversely, anybody who doesn't stick around for the credits of, say, Into the Spider-Verse can safely have most of their opinions on film ignored.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

Conversely, anybody who doesn't stick around for the credits of, say, Into the Spider-Verse can safely have most of their opinions on film ignored.

Clarification on this subtweet for everyone out there - he's talking about me.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I've never understood why anyone watches the credits, knowing who the best boy or assistant to the second make up artist was isn't going to improve my enjoyment of a shit film or enhance my appreciation of a good film. 

Here’s an interesting article on the subject https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/should-cinema-audiences-stay-put-for-the-credits/?amp

Though in Spiderverse’s case you’d also have missed a lead into the sequel with Oscar Issac

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Fog Dude said:

I wouldn't even stick around for a spiderman movie nevermind the credits of it

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Though in Spiderverse’s case you’d also have missed a lead into the sequel

My understanding of marvel films is people tolerate sitting through the credits to see a trailer for another film or a clip related to the film.

They aren't staying for the credits are they, they are waiting for more of the film which happens to be after them.

Also thanks for the link but I couldn't disagree with it more

Firstly, films are made by more than one or two people. The director and lead actors may be the names on the poster, but hundreds of people put time and effort into making a film, and staying to watch the credits acknowledges that work.

As I said I couldn't give a fuck who did the catering on set or who was second unit directors PA. I can appreciate the work of everyone involved though my enjoyment of the film itself without reading a name I'll forget 10 minutes later anyway. 

Secondly, staying put allows the audience time to digest the film and let it settle 

This is such pretentious bollocks its untrue. 

• Paid Members

Can't imagine there's many people in those credits list that give a shit whether you stay for the credits or not. Surely they care about their credit as a way to prove they worked on a thing so they can get more jobs, doubt the Best Boy is dying to make sure John Filmwanker sees his name scroll past.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Can't imagine there's many people in those credits list that give a shit whether you stay for the credits or not. Surely they care about their credit as a way to prove they worked on a thing so they can get more jobs, doubt the Best Boy is dying to make sure John Filmwanker sees his name scroll past.

It might be nice for them to watch them and see their own name. And if that makes them happy that's great and the best reason I can think of for credits existing. But by the same token no-one should feel like they have to watch them.