The (mostly bad) films of Kevin Smith

King Pitcos

• Paid Members

So Clerks III. There was one Kevin Smith fanboy in attendance who laughed at every little nod or reference. I didn’t laugh more then a handful of times. I’d imagine as a Kevin Smith fanboy it’s probably the equivalent of a Marvel fan watching Avengers Endgame. For the more casual fan, it’s ok. Better then Clerks 2, less cringey for sure, but it’s another miss for me. There are some genuinely good bits, but it’s out weighed by meta dross. Generous 5/10.

Oh and for credit haters, Kevin Smith actually talks over the end credits. 

• Paid Members

I went in feeling positive about it and full of nostalgia. As warmly disposed as I was, I'm glad I saw it and enjoyed it - but it's also ludicrously self-indulgent and overly sentimental and almost everyone in it is now a worse actor than they were in the original. And it appears impossible to be a bigger fan of Kevin Smith than Kevin Smith.

I'm glad it exists. I'm glad I saw it. I suspect I'll retain none of it.

• Paid Members

I saw it tonight and have mixed feelings. I thought it was way to long and repetitive. The comedy by and large falls flat. But I did think Brian O'Halloran had moments that where genuinely touching and it was surprisingly poignant at times.

I know I'm in minority that really liked it but I much prefer Reboot. It's just as unfunny but it's far more fun. 

Went to see Clerks 3, and, well...

Spoiler

I should have known there'd be at least one fucking reference to a widow-maker heart attack in there. The guy is like Howard from TBBT when he goes to space. The only thing missing is every single character announcing they'd turned vegan.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2022 at 5:55 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’d imagine as a Kevin Smith fanboy it’s probably the equivalent of a Marvel fan watching Avengers Endgame.

This is exactly how I viewed it, the askewniverse has been part of my life longer than it hasn't, and this gave me everything I wanted in a send off, while washing away the dirty taste of clerks 2.

Was there overly saccharine moments of meta humour? Yes. Was it also some of his best writing this millennium? Yes. In particular the final third.