The (mostly bad) films of Kevin Smith

King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Olaf the Russian metalhead from Clerks was drinking in my local last night with a mutual friend. Had no idea he lived near me this whole time. He was drunk, stoned and had a hat on saying ‘I love Oklahoma’. The years haven’t been kind, but that could be the stress of living in Hounslow. He wouldn’t sing a line from Berserker though. I’m sure he’s heard that enough and didn’t need to be asked again by pissed up me. 

6 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Olaf the Russian metalhead from Clerks was drinking in my local last night with a mutual friend. Had no idea he lived near me this whole time. He was drunk, stoned and had a hat on saying ‘I love Oklahoma’. The years haven’t been kind, but that could be the stress of living in Hounslow. He wouldn’t sing a line from Berserker though. I’m sure he’s heard that enough and didn’t need to be asked again by pissed up me. 

He lives in Hounslow???? God bless that town.

• Paid Members

Yes. Well, Hounslow/Isleworth borders. He’s been over here since 2001, not sure if he’s always been round Hounslow way though. We’ve been in the same pubs at the same time watching bands a lot apparently, and we have a lot of mutual friends it seems, but I never noticed him until this past Friday and Saturday. 

• 2 months later...

You know how the start of Austin Powers Goldmember was a pastiche of Austin Powers with a listers in the role? It was like that but with the same actors. I was waiting for the real film to start. Then again for all I know it did at the 30 minute mark. It’s fair to say it wasn’t going to turn into Sydney Pollack or anything. 

• 6 months later...
On 2/7/2020 at 10:38 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I lasted 22 minutes of Jay And Silent Bob Reboot. Jesus Christ it was bad. If you haven’t seen it please keep it that way for your own sake

I tried to watch this recently and, yeah, I think I maybe lasted around 30 before tapping out. 

Just horrible. I'd previously tried to watch Yoga Hosers but I think that may have been turned off after a solid 15. 

Sad to see what has happened to Kevin Smith, really. I loved Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma and Strikes Back when I was in my early teens. I had the posters of each on my the walls of my tiny bedroom and even ordered comic books and figures from his site in the early 2000s. 

I could still watch and enjoy his first four, I think, and some of his Evening With specials and podcasts have been good value. Also the commentary tracks for those films, especially Mallrats and Amy are hilarious (Affleck is the star of them). 

Clerks II and Zack and Miri were a lot less fun when I revisited them after a few years and I've only seen Red State and Tusk once (and have no plans on watching either again, even though I didn't hate them or anything). 

I find him really quite insufferable these days, though. He seems to be fucking everywhere, despite his films getting worse and worse. 

I do not have high hopes for his upcoming film - Killroy was Here - starring his daughter and Chris Jericho...

2 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Sad to see what has happened to Kevin Smith, really.

He's 50 years old, fitter & healthier than he has ever been in his life, only partakes in projects with his friends & family - besides the occasional episode of The Flash, The Goldbergs, etc, - and makes lots of money by doing his favourite thing in the world: talking about his films to people who do like his films (not you lot contributing to this topic).

What is sad about that?

Also: "He seems to be fucking everywhere".

Like where?  

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, dopper said:

He's 50 years old, fitter & healthier than he has ever been in his life, only partakes in projects with his friends & family - besides the occasional episode of The Flash, The Goldbergs, etc, - and makes lots of money by doing his favourite thing in the world: talking about his films to people who do like his films (not you lot contributing to this topic).

What is sad about that?

Also: "He seems to be fucking everywhere".

Like where?  

This.

You rarely see or hear from him unless it's his own content or promoting his own content.

He seems like a nice guy that talks a lot about stuff he likes rather than shitting on any and everything. Just don't watch/listen to his content.

Personally I think he's fascinating and wish there were more people as engaging as him in film and entertainment. 

8 minutes ago, DEF said:

This.

You rarely see or hear from him unless it's his own content or promoting his own content.

He seems like a nice guy that talks a lot about stuff he likes rather than shitting on any and everything. Just don't watch/listen to his content.

Personally I think he's fascinating and wish there were more people as engaging as him in film and entertainment. 

I had a whole reply written out and stuff but I went back to edit it a little and it somehow managed to disappear, so there ya go. 

You both make good points and I don't hate Kevin Smith. He provided me with a lot of entertainment during impressionable years and I'm glad he's happy and healthy and still has an audience. 

I guess I'm just more annoyed by him and saddened by his massive drop in quality over the last couple of decades. 

To each their own and, as you rightly say, I can always chose to not watch/listen to his content. 

So I won't. 

Dogma was pretty much the counter-culture gateway movie for a generation, and when he was focussed on being a slacker John Hughes, he turned out some really solid if of-their-time movies. Any time he's ventured outside that oeuvre, and without the limitations of existing material like his work on the comic book TV shows, I've heard nothing but bad things. I checked out after Strike Back, which I kind of see as the watershed/finale to that whole era of his career. That pre-Strike Askewniverse stuff is his legacy and calling card, and it's allowed him to dip his toes into whatever shitty project he likes in between talking up a storm on the circuit and his podcasts.