The (mostly bad) films of Kevin Smith

King Pitcos

I really like Kevin Smith, which in turn makes me want to like his movies. However I genuinely can't remember the last time I actually enjoyed one of them.

I know a lot of people don't like him but he's the kinda guy that I want to succeed. I want him to do something decent but he's been so hit and miss over the years.

I enjoy his podcasts and his live events and I had the chance to work with him at a convention and he did seem like a really nice guy - not up his own arse or anything, but really just happy to be there. Obviously take all that with a pinch of salt with celebrities in public but you know.

I can't bring myself to watch the latest Jay and Silent Bob movie. I have fond memories of some of his earlier works but always felt they probably wouldn't age too well. They're often a case of good ideas with bad execution.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, dopper said:

He's 50 years old, fitter & healthier than he has ever been in his life, only partakes in projects with his friends & family - besides the occasional episode of The Flash, The Goldbergs, etc, - and makes lots of money by doing his favourite thing in the world: talking about his films to people who do like his films (not you lot contributing to this topic).

What is sad about that?

I mean, sure, if you're predisposed to like everything he does and have decided you're going to do so before you've even seen his latest, then of course you're going to say that. Fair enough.

But if you step back and look at the general reception to his work, the quick drop-off in quality from his earliest films is there for everyone to see. So I don't see why it's so inconceivable that somebody might say his drop in quality was sad.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I mean, sure, if you're predisposed to like everything he does and have decided you're going to do so before you've even seen his latest, then of course you're going to say that. Fair enough.

What I said about his current status had nothing to do with liking or disliking everything he does. I haven't even seen any of his last three films.

You and I have interpreted the sentence "It's sad what happened to Kevin Smith" differently.

• Paid Members

I think my disappointment with Kevin Smith is rooted in how invested I was in him early on. He was a big influence on me wanting to write and create, and making it seem achievable. And there was a lot of promise early on - Clerks was great for what it was, but by the time of Chasing Amy and Dogma, they were feeling more professional and grown up. I honestly thought he'd continue on that trajectory and ambition, and become a fascinating film-maker. 

With that level of promise and his love of comic books, I honestly thought if we ever got to the stage of comic book movies being a big thing, Kevin Smith would be the guy leading it. And yet we're there, and the thought of Kevin Smith running things sounds like a bad idea.

In terms of what he's actually done, it's mostly been okay to good. I don't feel he's ever aimed as high as he used to, and that does make me sad. But he's happy, he's successful and he's not a dick, so that's probably more important and it's all come out okay.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, dopper said:

What I said about his current status had nothing to do with liking or disliking everything he does. I haven't even seen any of his last three films.

You and I have interpreted the sentence "It's sad what happened to Kevin Smith" differently.

Yeah we have, but that's sort of my point. @SaitoRyo appeared to be talking purely from a cinematic point of view, that he's been shit for ages, and that's where I'd come from, too. It frankly does nothing for me that he's not fat anymore and what-have-you. But you like that he's where he is in his life, which is absolutely fine, but you seem to have missed the point and different perspective.

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

I think my disappointment with Kevin Smith is rooted in how invested I was in him early on. He was a big influence on me wanting to write and create, and making it seem achievable. And there was a lot of promise early on - Clerks was great for what it was, but by the time of Chasing Amy and Dogma, they were feeling more professional and grown up. I honestly thought he'd continue on that trajectory and ambition, and become a fascinating film-maker. 

With that level of promise and his love of comic books, I honestly thought if we ever got to the stage of comic book movies being a big thing, Kevin Smith would be the guy leading it. And yet we're there, and the thought of Kevin Smith running things sounds like a bad idea.

In terms of what he's actually done, it's mostly been okay to good. I don't feel he's ever aimed as high as he used to, and that does make me sad. But he's happy, he's successful and he's not a dick, so that's probably more important and it's all come out okay.

Great post @Chris B and sums up my thoughts about him exactly.

Clerks probably kick started my love of 'independent' cinema more than any other film, and I adore Mallrats (not the extended version, I'm not a sadist), Chasing Amy and Dogma for personal and wider reasons. Whenever I watch any of them, I always enjoy them as I think they're greay films.

I've dipped in and out of his films the last couple of years and there are some that I haven't seen, and probably never will, and that's down to me knowing that they're not really for me anymore. I love Jawbreaker, but if they released an album like '24 Hour Revenge Therapy' I probably wouldn't like it or relate to it, as I'm no longer an angst ridden 16 year old. I am an angst ridden 35 year old.

He clearly loves films, and that shows in his films (even the more mediocre ones), seems like a good dude, and I wish him nothing but the best. Clerks is a groundbreaking film, that created an everlasting legacy and culture, and he'll always have that.

"Huge Black Cocks and Pearly White Cum", "Girls Who Crave Cock", "Girls Who Crave Cum"

Pinter-esque.

• 11 months later...

Filming of ‘Clerks 3’ is underway, and Kevin Smith is regularly updating his social media with their progress.

He posted this comparison photo from Clerks 2 circa fifteen years ago and the most positive slant I can put on it is… at least Rosario Dawson is looking well. 

453F383A-F4C6-40F7-A4C9-ECFCF945D2E4.jpeg

• Paid Members

Fuck me. It was impossible to believe in Clerks 2 that Rosario Dawson could ever possibly be attracted to that bloke, if they do a love story with them in Clerks 3 it'll be the most unbelievable thing to happen in any film ever. 

• 10 months later...