Woah Woah WrestleMania - Dis-cussion thread - pump it up, pump it up. *HOF spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Feel bad griping but honestly, they fucked that main event. The triple threat dynamic just didn't work and you can tell that from the crowd being quiet apart from when Becky and Ronda face off. The finish coming out of nowhere hurt it so much. I get they want to protect Ronda but this isn't how to do it.

A shame because the rest was so good. It's a pity it didn't finish on KofiMania because that was genuinely the best moment in wrestling in years and years and years. Amazing crowd, great match, great finish and great celebration. The best.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

I found the whole thing dull. It never seemed to get into gear. None of the matches had any spark to them bar Seth's win and the main event. Even Kofi's match slid from resthold to resthold but at least the right result. 

And the least said about Triple H's Wacky Races entrance the better. Cole even said "isn't that cool?" to make sure you knew it was. 

Highlight of the night was Thuganomics stinging burns on Elias. Razor sharp. 

For those that were there live I'm glad you had a good time. Watching it unfolding on the network was punishment. 

1 hour ago, Mat said:

I feel absolutely wrecked, but would happily pay £500 for a seat, with a pillar blocking 25% of the ring, and do it all over again.

Did you not complain to Guest Services about the blocked view? I also had a massive pillar in the way.

Guest Services told me "It's sold out, we can't relocate anyone." Everyone who complained seemed to accept that for an answer and went back to their seats, but I stood my ground for almost an hour and eventually a WWE Employee moved me to a much better seat in 140, closer to the ring, no pillars in the way. The only thing I missed was the entrances for the cruiserweight match.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Everything else is barely worth mentioning, which suggests it wasn't needed in the first place. Samoa Joe vs. Rey, Roman vs. Drew, Balor vs. Lashley and Orton vs. Styles in particular. Take all those matches off and it benefits the show massively.

It's difficult because I think Joe, Rey, Balor, Orton and Styles absolutely should be on the card. Orton and Styles was really good too. But those fuckers carry this thing year round and should be rewarded IMO. Trying to get EVERYONE on kills it though. I think that a Countdown to Mania show on the Saturday night in the NXT arena is the answer. I'd like to see Mania be 8 matches max. Get rid of the two battle royals and move the rest to the previous night with a couple of big headlines such as Joe/Rey or Miz/Shane. It doesn't take anything away from Mania because nearly everyone is just paying for the Network anyway rather than PPV.

They clearly get it. That's why they're booking concerts, dance breaks, skits and one minute matches.

• Paid Members

I thought it was a good, solid show. I was knackered by the end, but it was never due to it dragging like previous years. Cut a couple of matches out and we could’ve had a better crowd for the main event. 

Meltzer said (I know, I know), that the finish was meant to be that. But Rondas shoulder accidentally came up and then Corey paid attention to it. Ronda has also apparently broken her hand. Good enough main event though. I didn’t see the end at first as my network died and when it came back on, Becky was celebrating. 

Kofi vs Bryan was wonderful, as was the win and the celebration afterwards. 

Miz vs Shane was crazy and I loved it. 

Much better Mania than the last couple of years, that’s for sure. 

• Paid Members

It's becoming more and more obvious that the "Main Even" of 'Mania is a bit of a cursed spot, owing to a mixture of the length of the show(leading to fan burn out) and having to follow some fantastic moments like the wonderful Kofi win.

When a 'Mania was circa 3 hours long, being in the final match was a true honor and allowed the performers to garner some of the best reactions of any wrestling show. Now, it's like they are sacrificial lambs sent out to kill themselves in front of 80,000 emotionally and physically worn out fans who just want their bed.

• Paid Members

I second a lot of comments. It is just too long. Almost 7 and a half hours with the pre show. Obviously the Kofi win was great as was the main event, but you cannot blame them playing to near crickets for the main event as they are blown up. Was good to see the Iconics and Seth win as well, but far too many matches. I would love for it to go back to 4 hours at most.

Kofi/Bryan and Miz/Shane were great. The Kofi moment was spectacular. Bryan is an absolute genius in the ring as well. His heel turn has been the best thing.

Miz/Shane was just insanity and I loved it. Good on both of them. Great little feud they have.

The rest was meandering. I think someone mentioned the other day that the Main event, although great its the 3 women, would suffer in terms of crowd as reaction and atmosphere. You feel had it gone on in the middle there would have been more going for it.

But yeah, stop doing 7 hour shows. Its nonsense.

• Paid Members

I watched up to the end of Bryan v Kofi but nothing I saw made me want to dip into the product again anytime soon tbh.

It can’t have helped that I’d watched a few of the classic WM’s over recent weeks, but I hated most aspects of the production. 

I was enjoying the Brock Lesnar squash but thought that Rollins’ comeback looked weak as piss and ruined it. 

I wouldn’t have put the Shane v Miz match where it was on the card either. Seemed way too early doors to have such bumps.

What I couldn’t fathom at all was the matches just transitioning to the next with seemingly nothing in between. We may get a video package but there were no backstage interviews whatsoever, which I found very odd tbh.

I bet the lads that were booked for the Wrestlemania X ten man tag are fuming that the show seems to run for 12 hours these days.

• Paid Members

By fuck am I worn out. I have no idea how anyone attends the shows anymore, I don't think I could manage it again. It was that long that I've been over tired and still haven't slept yet. 

I thought the show on the whole was pretty good and that there was nothing that I thought really brought it down other than the length. 

Kofi and Bryan stole the show. Fantastic stuff.

Brock and Seth opening the show out of nowhere was great and felt spontaneous. This worked really well, being a bit of a sprint. 

Charlotte coming in on the helicopter, as a nod to her old man. What an entrance. 

There was some really good stuff on this Mania, and it would have been an immense four hour show.

Other than the length, I thought the slightly disappointing thing was the lack of creativity with the set. After the stage set-up at 29, this was quite the contrast for being in the same building. I also don't get the 3-D graphics things that they do, but I guess they are a hell of a lot cheaper than constructing something physical. 

Edit: The SmackDown tag match deserves a mention too. A lovely, fast paced, energetic match. For a show this long, the best chance of getting over if you're in a mid card match is to do something like this. Multiple people and lots of movement. Cesaro could still be swinging. The man is machine. 

Archived