Woah Woah WrestleMania - Dis-cussion thread - pump it up, pump it up. *HOF spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

14 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

www.forbes.com/sites/blakeoestriecher/2019/04/07/wwe-wrestlemania-35-results-triple-h-vs-batista-flop-highlights-one-of-wwes-biggest-problems/amp/

“WWE didn’t need Batista on the card. Or Triple H. Or Brock Lesnar. Or Ronda Rousey. Or John Cena.”

Jesus.

Thats the worst take I’ve ever heard.

I appreciate I have a different perspective, in that I do like seeing the big stars of yesteryear. For me, Wrestlemania is a Disneyland style attraction, and if you bin off Mickey in favor of some twunt from ‘Z-O-M-B-I-E-S’ or ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ then I think it loses its special aura. It becomes REALLY business as usual (which is a wrestling disease that they have always struggled to fight off, only worsening the more they add TV time).

But, let’s say that’s a perspective issue, and let’s say it’s reasonable to think Triple H and Batista being there didn’t add to the card (that’s not reasonable, it’s fucking insane), how can you argue against Ronda and Brock?

A) they were defending champions, b) they did the job for the darlings and c) they’re legitimately big names in the here and now.

Internet fans’ resentment of stars is beyond baffling at this point.

Wow that article is trash 😂. You can make the argument the match itself was too long (entrances included) but to say it's a complete waste of time is ridiculous. That writer completely ignores that Batista's return was one of the best Raw segments in recent memory and this match was something these two wanted, especially Batista, so wasn't exactly thrown together to boost viewer figures. That line on not needing Lesnar, Rousey or Cena is just laughable!

It seems this guy either loves or hates everything judging by his Twitter, unfortunately there seems to be a good chunk of fans like this. They can't accept an ok match, all opinions have to be exaggerated. Wrestlemania caters to everyone and this match was in my opinion decent, yes it was long but it had good spots, it's what Batista wanted as his last match and as an icon you have to at least respect that.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that main event was a bit awkward looking with a weird finish, but I'll say one thing - all three women put 100% effort in, every shot looked like it fucking hurt, they sold the shit out of everything and told an actual story.  You could literally hear the effort they were putting in, gasping for air and limping around with bruises all over them.

It looked like a fight, and after NXT that really spoke to me.  Hats off to all three of them, they should be proud of that.

3 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

A Finn Balor match at the 4 hours 30 minute mark of a wrestling show...fucking hell.

This. I was absolutely furious when I realised this gurning shitarse had still to go on before the main event. Thankfully it was kept fairly short. 

No new take here - opinion is pretty much the same as most other people. There was a really, really good 4+ hour show in there that got dragged down by an hour or so of shite. For a company that cares so much about "moments" they've spent the past 5 years actively sabotaging their biggest stars by wheeling them out 7 hours into a show and expecting the crowd to have any energy left to care. 

10 minutes ago, Loki said:

I know that main event was a bit awkward looking with a weird finish, but I'll say one thing - all three women put 100% effort in, every shot looked like it fucking hurt, they sold the shit out of everything and told an actual story.  You could literally hear the effort they were putting in, gasping for air and limping around with bruises all over them.

It looked like a fight, and after NXT that really spoke to me.  Hats off to all three of them, they should be proud of that.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Rousey apparently also has a pretty bad broken hand too because of it.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

I never saw the kick off show but just watched a clip of the Andre battle royal. Did they really bring Luke Harper back just to make up the numbers?

Yep. And eliminated with barely a whimper so a pair of SNL tossers could get some time.

People really hate Finn Balor, don't they? I don't see it, personally. He's alright but that slingblade is the shittest move around right now. It was probably about as good a match as you could get out of Bobby Lashley and that spear was pretty good too.

• Paid Members

Balor has an uncanny knack that not many of today’s superstars have - he’s a good-looking chap who the birds love, but he’s got a cool factor that the blokes also gravitate to. He’s perfect babyface material in that sense. He also strikes me as genuinely good egg behind the scenes. 

• Paid Members

Started around 2ish, finished a few minutes ago. So happy I didn't stay up for it.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Balor has an uncanny knack that not many of today’s superstars have - he’s a good-looking chap who the birds love, but he’s got a cool factor that the blokes also gravitate to. He’s perfect babyface material in that sense. He also strikes me as genuinely good egg behind the scenes. 

Unfortunately he's got no charisma, can't cut a promo and has unremarkable matches which cancels all that out. Alas.

28 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Unfortunately he's got no charisma, can't cut a promo and has unremarkable matches which cancels all that out. Alas.

Many a neckbeards girlfriend wants a piece of him, and are willing to shell out for enough of his shirts a week to prove it. 

He's just not for you, holmes. Decent charisma, decent money being made. 

• Paid Members

You can tell everyone's knackered from this event by the fact that almost nobody is talking about the fact it featured a spot where somebody had their nose ring pulled out.

• Paid Members

Fine.

Anyway, I watched only the important matches (the top title matches, Miz/Shane, Trip/Batista and the Elias stuff) and had fun and managed to polish the thing off in about 3 hours or so. Wrestling doesn't get much better than Kofi/Bryan. An absolute masterpiece. I feel quite deflated by the main event ending but enjoyed the match loads. They beat the absolute shit out of eachother. The best part of the whole thing was Kumail's outrageous Batista outfit though.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

You can tell everyone's knackered from this event by the fact that almost nobody is talking about the fact it featured a spot where somebody had their nose ring pulled out.

Oh, i remember that. Blading I'm fine with but that was almost as squicky as the Orton/Hardy ear tunnel spot.

• Paid Members

Wasn't really feeling it this year. It felt like an age before the show started to pick up. Definitely, the highlights were Miz/Shane, Kofi/Bryan and Batista/Triple H. I thought everything else was very average.

I was all for them fucking over Kofi, but without that win this Mania would have been pretty forgettable, IMO. What a match it was. They paced it beautifully and the crowd was giving the near falls "Sable's got her tits out" reactions. Clean wins that build the finale always work best, so of course.

That main event finish was a bloody shambles. They had one job on this show and they made a tit of it. Be hilarious of Ronda popped her shoulder up on purpose because she's not doing J.O.B.'s, brother. Fair enough if you don't want Rousey losing proper clean, but surely that was why they stuck Charlotte in there? It had that Starrcade Sting v Hogan vibe where the person you wanted to win did it, but it was such a screwy way of going about it that it never really felt as special as it should. Let's face it, Vince has made a bit of a tit of this. The match itself was fine but like most of the show it never really felt all that special. I was going to type they have an easy story for Ronda v Becky now, but Vince just can't help himself.

I felt sorry for Kurt Angle. He's clearly done, but I think he could have been carried to a good match with a good hand. He had no chance with Corbin and the match unfolded as you may have expected. Corbin is a symbol of fallen standards. Absolutely nowt going for him other than being tall and Vince liking him. This whole Kurt Angle post-GM run has felt like a massive afterthought and it's fitting, I guess, that his finale should kind of feel the same way. He deserved better after working his neck off for the company.

Lesnar getting his 'Mania money for two and a half minutes of work. I love that man.

Batista hilariously tripping aside, this match went better than expected. It's a shame they dulled anticipation with a few weeks of some terrible promos, but on the night both men worked hard an delivered a match with some very memorable moments (aside from that trip). That nose ring spot was genius.

Too long and too much filler. Without AJ/Orton, Rey/Joe and Balor/Lashley I'd probably like this show a lot more.

Archived