Woah Woah WrestleMania - Dis-cussion thread - pump it up, pump it up. *HOF spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

12 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

What I couldn’t fathom at all was the matches just transitioning to the next with seemingly nothing in between. We may get a video package but there were no backstage interviews whatsoever, which I found very odd tbh.

Yeah, I found that odd. I think I noticed that before the Kofi v Bryan match that there had been no backstage stuff but when you've got sixteen matches, the skits and the interviews fall by the wayside.

A few other things; Triple H's Fury Road entrance (I guess just like Vince, Trips takes a few years to catch up on pop culture), that the WWE must have access to a time machine due to 2002's John Cena appearing and the sign in the crowd that read Oliver 3:16.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, CL Punk said:

Yeah, I found that odd. I think I noticed that before the Kofi v Bryan match that there had been no backstage stuff but when you've got sixteen matches, the skits and the interviews fall by the wayside.

Thing is, there shouldn't be 16 matches should there?

Even with so many bouts you still get the multi-person match and battle royal participants desperately trying to get themselves over and their mug on TV for a zillionth of a second. Bit tragic really how epidemic this 'Wrestlemania moment' shit has become.

5 hours of basically wall to wall wrestling is so unnecessary. With the advent of smartphones etc, people's attention spans have never been shorter yet they think this is the way forward?

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

I still think splitting it into a 2 night event is the way to go(as long as a ticket to both nights stay a reasonable price. I would go with the "look at what you could have won", stick the shite on night 1 route though(that has been suggested on here over the past weeks or so). Instead, you could have 2 three hour shows, with a big main event on each night(imagine the women main eventing the Saturday show to a crowd that is not fucked and Kofi closing night 2 in the ring with his kids and Big E/Woods. getting a huge standing ovation and fireworks going off overhead as the show goes to black!)... 

Dull and disappointing are the two words that spring to mind. Woke up at 6am to watch it live my time and watched until triple h Batista. Caught the return later. Mix Vs Shane I noted but very thing else seemed bland. Perhaps it was the effect of most matches having limited or poor build up. The set was crap too just a big screen and limited special entrances. Also it was so red, red everywhere which actually made it hard to focus at times. I dont know who goes and accepts some of the seats at mania though some stands were behind the stage they couldn't have seen a fucking thing.

Cena was ace  and is miles above most on the roster right now. 

Overall it just felt like another show

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

I still think splitting it into a 2 night event is the way to go(as long as a ticket to both nights stay a reasonable price. I would go with the "look at what you could have won", stick the shite on night 1 route though(that has been suggested on here over the past weeks or so). 

It'll be interesting with New Japan going two nights in a row with Wrestle Kingdom (not sure if night 2 is New Year's Dash or a second night of WK) whether that will suggest a trend for WWE to follow in the coming years. Not that NJPW necessarily has an impact on what WWE does, mind. 

To echo what others have suggested here my brother was talking yesterday of the merits of a two night Wrestlemania. I think it's definitely the way forward. Even if it was two 4 hour long shows including the pre shows it would help stop the crowd being so burned out, would mean things could be more evenly paced and most importantly make more of the big matches seem like a big deal. As said earlier if this year had have been two nights with Kofi v Bryan as one nights main and the womens 3 way as the other it would have been excellent. If they're going to carry on with 2 sets of mens tag titles, 2 sets of mens tag titles, probably splitting the womens titles again then the IC and US that's 8 matches minimum every year just to cover the major titles. I think we saw with Fastlane how much better paced the shorter shows are. Even with the long length and the feel that the entire night was on rails I still found it much better than last year.

That Kofi/Bryan match was absolute magic. A genuinely beautiful wrestling match with a solid story told at a great pace. They didn't overdo it on the false finishes/big moves and it delivered the right result. Just exceptional. 

Agreed that two nights should be the way forward. I couldn't watch as I live in Europe (1am start time for the main show) and have a wife and a kid and a job and all that. It'd be finishing just as I was waking up. 

They could always sell it as 'Too Big For One Night!' or some such as well. They should also consider making the HOF a talent and family/friends only event, given the scary incident with Bret and the general dickheadishness of the live crowd. 

Besides Kofi/Bryan, is there anything that absolutely needs to be watched? I have watched the Cruiserweight Title, Tag Titles and the Tag Title four-way matches as well. 

• Awards Moderator

It didn’t feel as long to me this year because I watched it in three stages - pre-show and hour 1 of the main show last night, SmackDown Tag Match (which was lots of fun) up to the Cena/Elias skit this morning, and then the rest this afternoon.

Loved Kofi’s win. I cheered. Brilliant moment. My other half had never heard of him before this weekend but even she was loving it when he brought his kids in to celebrate.

Miz and Shane was really good too. Other than those three I’ve mentioned there’s no one match that was a level above anything else, but there was nothing bad really. Batista-Triple H dragged a bit but picked up towards the end, and when did Triple H get so sadistic, trying to cut Dave’s fingers off and ripping his piercings out? Didn’t make me want to cheer him as the baby face, that’s for sure.

Agree with @tiger_rickon the main event, the triple threat format ended up doing it no favours. Other half immediately pointed out Ronda’s shoulders weren’t down, so they were absolutely right to pay attention to it. Very useful setup for a rematch, if nothing else.

She’s also said we can go next year if I want, but I honestly don’t know if I have the stamina to sit through that much wrestling!

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Van Dammer said:

They could just do two locations and keep it on the same night. An international Mania in a timezone that means they can run before the US Mania in its usual starting time. Maybe that would have worked with a proper brand split actually.

Costs might make that prohibitive. It must have cost them millions to put that set together last night, as well as man hours for the staff putting it up. If they just ran in the same stadium over two nights, the only real additional costs would be staffing and maybe stadium rent. I've seen it has taken them weeks in the past to build their 'Mania sets, would they have to pay rent to the stadium owners for the whole stretch(while building it), or would it just be the day of the show?

I think 2 four hour, in arena shows with a studio pre show is the way to go surely. As pointed out previously they've had Met Life for weeks already. Give the talent more time to breathe and the fans less time to get burned out.

Don't present the 2 days any differently, almost make it Glastonbury/Coachella for wrestling.