Woah Woah WrestleMania - Dis-cussion thread - pump it up, pump it up. *HOF spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

10 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Can anyone explain the significance of those 4 helicopters hovering about at the beginning? I assume it was supposed to be some sort of impressive display? It was hardly the Red Arrows. 

Charlotte got there a bit early.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
14 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Can anyone explain the significance of those 4 helicopters hovering about at the beginning? I assume it was supposed to be some sort of impressive display? It was hardly the Red Arrows. 

They did helicopters for the flypast at the SuperBowl there a couple of years back. It's probably that you can't do it with planes (including having them hanging around in the right place to come in at the right time) when it's right next to such a built-up city.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, JNLister said:

They did helicopters for the flypast at the SuperBowl there a couple of years back. It's probably that you can't do it with planes (including having them hanging around in the right place to come in at the right time) when it's right next to such a built-up city.

My response to that would be "why fucking bother doing anything like that at all when it looks so shit" but hey ho, Americans innit.

This show has proved that booking wrestlers with Internet points to win doesn’t stop everyone complaining. Every tweet like a smacked arse in the last five years whenever Reigns won a match or Becky or Cesaro didn’t win a belt was for nothing, because WWE booked the darlings to win in all three top matches where it mattered last night, and it still wasn’t good enough. Vince is never gonna win on the Internet - if ever there was a night he would, it would’ve been last night.

Big E even said “don’t be sour” as well, and rude cunts are ignoring him even in the glowing aftermath of KofiMania.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Yakashi said:

Definitely not to me. He’s great. Really great. But ratings and house shows continue to fall with him as champion so he’s having no actual positive impact. Ronda helped draw the enormous tv money. The others I’d say are Omega, who continues to be a financial benefit to almost every show he’s on and a detriment when he isn’t. And I’d still go with Cena probably. 

Hold on, are you saying Kenny Omega is one of the three biggest stars in wrestling? That's quite a claim...

Bar the length and having a fucking bright light shone in my eyes for half the show, especially during Styles/Orton, it was a good Mania overall. 

They made the right decisions in the three big babyface matches. Rollins opening was different and a hot way to start, Kofi winning was immense and the main event was very good even if the ending was slightly botched. 

Other than that, HHH/Batista and Miz/Shane were both fun so overall a fun show that I look forward to rewatching. 

26 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Hold on, are you saying Kenny Omega is one of the three biggest stars in wrestling? That's quite a claim...

I think when you’re sure Kenny Omega is one of the biggest stars in wrestling, and ‘probably’ think John Cena is you’ve let the internet consume you.

My Wrestlemania experience was pretty great, because with a lot of luck I ended up with way better seats than I bought originally.

It was a fun show, a huge spectacle. I don’t think any of the wrestling was amazing necessarily, but it did the job. I was popping all over the joint, through to the very end, so I’ll call it a win.

Watching back, it seems they’ve cut a lot of booing from Romans entrance. They also seem to have edited out a lot of the fuss during AJ/Orton match, when fans were being blinded by the lights.

Anyway. I loved it. Being up close for a Triple H match really was a highlight of my wrestling fandom.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwALuIUnJHz/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=q3tmeqow1m4h

I thought it was a good show but the drag kicked in following the great Kofi win. I am struggling to place this one in the list of great manias. 

No undertaker was refreshing and the return of thuganomics was tremendous fun. Fuck the Corbin win though.

17 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I would say To ''Actual Wrestling Fans'' he is a god and one of the biggest stars but as I've mentioned before on here I know a lot of people who are strictly WWE and 90% of people have never heard off him when I mentioned he could potentially be signing with WWE before he inevitably signed with AEW.

Does he have any mainstream attention? outside of Wrestling fans you'd struggle to find anyone who could pick him out of a lineup outside of Japan at least 

Discounting The Rock from this discussion Only Rousey, Lesnar and Cena are actually true stars in that they can command attention outside of Wrestling with the mainstream media away from anything Wrestling related, HHH is probably the next closest to having that status I'm also not including Batista as this was just a one off return and he has now retired again but again I think a lot of people know him more for his movies than that he was a wrestler turned movie star in a similar career path to The Rock

Guess it depends what You're definition of Biggest star in Wrestling is, is it someone who who has crossover appeal to the Mainstream public or are you just thinking star amongst Wrestling fans which has been shown doesn't really move the needle at all.

Anyway I thought it was an enjoyable Mania on the whole, wasn't a bad match on the card whilst not really having a 5 star match either but thats fine when the story telling was the most important part of the night for most matches.

I actually managed to last the pace a lot better then last year and whilst I'm feeling it now having  had about 3 hours sleep last night the pacing seemed to be a lot better for me anyway, maybe could of moved one of the singles matches to before Kofi/Bryan but they did a good job separating the 3 big babyface title wins over the 5+ hours 

49 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

It depends how you define star. More people know who zack Ryder is but no one is paying a penny to see him. Omega is a proven draw time after time and business has gone down since hes left various companies. 

To me a star is someone that people pay to see, someone that lifts companies when hes there and the company drops when he leaves. It's not just about how famous they are. 

I don't actually really watch any of the promotions he has wrestled for so it's not coming from a indy wrestling wankathon mindset. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

It depends how you define star. More people know who zack Ryder is but no one is paying a penny to see him. Omega is a proven draw time after time and business has gone down since hes left various companies. 

To me a star is someone that people pay to see, someone that lifts companies when hes there and the company drops when he leaves. It's not just about how famous they are. 

I don't actually really watch any of the promotions he has wrestled for so it's not coming from a indy wrestling wankathon mindset. 

To be fair though, people like Gangrel and Chris Masters, the very definition of a mid-card act in the WWF/E used to/still draw people into the indie promotions they wrestled for after leaving the 'E, and I'm sure you wouldn't call them huge stars. I suppose Omega has managed to build himself as a draw without the huge spotlight that being on TV in the WWE brings, so I can see your reasoning from that point of view...

Quick edit:

In Bret's book, he gives a quote from The Anvil that pretty much sums up Omega's level of "stardom", he's a pseudo-superstar who could walk down most streets without ever being recognized, but to the hardcore fan, he's the man.

I thought the show wasn't too bad overall.

Liked Rollins/Lesnar on first, for one it was a different way to go and it also got the match out of the way with surprisingly (to me anyway) Seth winning. Usually with Lesnar matches you are almost waiting all night for the inevitable Lesnar beat down/formula.

Thought the show overall was paced out as well as it could be (other than perhaps the Main Event which always suffers anyway) and the match length wasn't too painful either and was probably just about right for me. You could always cut a few matches but also helps having some filler matches (albeit on a bigger scale) so that you haven't too many matches to close together. Lots of feel good moments which Mania should be about.

I think what helped me enjoy the show was not watching any build up for the last four weeks (so the build up videos on the night were fresh/new not seen a thousand times), not bothering with the pre-show and watching up until Angle/Corbin and watching the last two matches this morning. 

Will be interesting how they do Mania weekend next year what with Smackdown moving to Friday. 

www.forbes.com/sites/blakeoestriecher/2019/04/07/wwe-wrestlemania-35-results-triple-h-vs-batista-flop-highlights-one-of-wwes-biggest-problems/amp/

“WWE didn’t need Batista on the card. Or Triple H. Or Brock Lesnar. Or Ronda Rousey. Or John Cena.”

Jesus.

Thats the worst take I’ve ever heard.

I appreciate I have a different perspective, in that I do like seeing the big stars of yesteryear. For me, Wrestlemania is a Disneyland style attraction, and if you bin off Mickey in favor of some twunt from ‘Z-O-M-B-I-E-S’ or ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ then I think it loses its special aura. It becomes REALLY business as usual (which is a wrestling disease that they have always struggled to fight off, only worsening the more they add TV time).

But, let’s say that’s a perspective issue, and let’s say it’s reasonable to think Triple H and Batista being there didn’t add to the card (that’s not reasonable, it’s fucking insane), how can you argue against Ronda and Brock?

A) they were defending champions, b) they did the job for the darlings and c) they’re legitimately big names in the here and now.

Internet fans’ resentment of stars is beyond baffling at this point.

Archived