Woah Woah WrestleMania - Dis-cussion thread - pump it up, pump it up. *HOF spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Awards Moderator

Watched the Hall Of Fame this morning and had no idea the Bret thing happened. Was all trace of it cut from the Network version or was I just not paying attention?

I have some questions - what exactly happened? How much was seen on the Network? What did Drake Maverick do?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

On my live feed you saw the man (rasta hat anyways) enter the ring. Cuts to the crowd throughout the main confrontation. Cuts back with Nat and Bret in the corner with wrestlers comforting them (Tyson Kidd, Ronda and a few others) Nattie mouthing she can't believe it happened. Drake walks up to the mic and tells the crowd not to pay or give any attention to that "Arsehole?" i think.

Drake Maverick looks like he dives straight in and manages to talk some sense into Harry Smith there. Proper brave thing to do considering Smith looks like he isn't going to stop in that video. 

Is it Shane that storms it in the ring? As exhausted as he looks in his matches he throws himself in there. Top marks to him if it is. Son of a millionaire running in to save the man who punched his father from what could have been a life threatening incident is almost movie like. Can't have even hesitated to get there that quickly. 

Bit late to the party, but as much as pro-wrestling can sometimes seem like it’s full of some proper lowlife scum with some proper murky secrets, with a load of silly backstage etiquette and all that, yet things like how absolutely rapid the lads got in there, no hesitation and got on that fucking twat and gave him what for makes  me love the mental brotherhood they have. Hope he got an absolute mauling. What a cunt.

I watched the hall of fame this afternoon at like 3pm and the full thing was still in there, as in nothing cut out from what happened on the live show and showed everything Fox Piss describes above. Don’t know if the edit they made just applied to certain devices or not 

26 minutes ago, Doog said:

I watched the hall of fame this afternoon at like 3pm and the full thing was still in there, as in nothing cut out from what happened on the live show and showed everything Fox Piss describes above. Don’t know if the edit they made just applied to certain devices or not 

It was still in when i watched it a bit before that. But i stopped it before Harlem Heat got inducted to watch the football and then when i went back on the network to watch the rest it was saying that this program isn't available (but did work when i checked a few mins later)  so i'm assuming the momentarily took it down to remove all trace of the footage of the ring invasion and him being kicked out.

• Paid Members

This show genuinely gave me a headache. My head is throbbing. Everything was solid enough, the Kofi thing was fucking incredible, and for the first half it felt like they were pacing it brilliantly. But fuck me. You can't pace seven hours. I'm not even convinced you can pace five hours. Once you've been sitting there that long it doesn't matter what you're presenting or how you're presenting it. Their only option going forward is to either cut down on the matches or turn this into a two-night affair because that last ninety minutes was a complete slog and the main event was played out in front of absolute silence. Does Charlotte always loudly count down from three before she hits a big move? This must've been the quietest crowd she's ever worked in front of because that was all I could hear before her spots.

Absolutely horrendous finish for the main event, too. As they were killing themselves to crickets I kept thinking that the crowd would at least liven up down the home stretch, so imagine my surprise when there wasn't a home stretch, it was a flash pin, and the finish was botched. Awful all-around. Poor Becky deserved the World here and she got anything but. I can't understand the logic at all for doing that finish. It seemed perfectly set-up for Ronda tapping. The only thing I can assume is that they're going to do the Ronda vs. Becky one-on-one match that it always should've been at the next PPV and that's where Becky will win by submission. Seems pretty backwards to not do the logical, sensible finish on the big show though, even if we ignore Ronda's shoulders being all over the shop. I wonder if there's anything to Ronda purposely lifting her shoulders because she's pissed off with some of the stuff Becky has said on Twitter? She certainly seems that type of mental.

Oh well, at least Vince didn't put Charlotte over, which was a genuine worry when Seth and Kofi won earlier.

Kofi Kingston made me cry. Honestly. It was already an absolute masterpiece, with Daniel Bryan proving once again that he's one of the greatest of all time, but when Kofi brought his kids in to celebrate with the belt? Tears. Completely got me. Such an amazing moment. I was so cynical and apprehensive to allow myself to get excited. Big E's surprise box at the start seemed tailor-made for a heel turn that costs Kofi the match. But no. They did it. He did it. Incredible. Match of the year. Sorry, Johnny Gargano. Maybe if you had cute kids last night it'd be different. This was the best. I love pro-wrestling. When it's good it's FUCKING GREAT.

LOL @ Baron Corbin winning. They'll honestly think that puts heat on him. Once you've got, "Fuck's Sake," heat though the only way to go is apathy. Kurt looked fucked from the bell, so ultimately it probably didn't matter who his opponent was. It wasn't going to be particularly good either way. Plus, it was during the deadzone when people just wanted the main event so they could go home.

LOL @ Batista falling over during his entrance but being such a pro that he simply did another take, circling the ring and entering again for them to edit it on The Network. That match with Hunter wasn't bad but could've been done in half the time.

Shane vs.The Miz was brilliant fun. This continues to be my favourite feud in wrestling. Wild, arena-wide brawl that really cleansed the palette and stopped fatigue setting in too early. Great camera angles to hide the crash pad too. Loved it.

They dropped a huge bollock not spoofing The Undertaker's Streak ending with Curt Hawkins. Imagine the pop if they brought this lad back and immediately cut to him pulling the same face when Hawkins won!

8C1B5D28-F81A-4638-8A22-36770C9B2C2B.jpeg.c03dbbded5a99bd54ea51ae6e522061c.jpeg

Seth winning was a good way to open the show. Brock's a genius. he was probably sleeping in his bed by the time Becky was on her way out.

Fuck Hogan. I don't want to see him on my TV. Even if the racism wasn't bad enough (it is), he's still completely useless and has been for years. Did he make a joke about getting the Superdome wrong, only to get Metlife Stadium wrong? I wasn't going back to check. I can't stand to look at him and his shit wig any longer than necessary. Didn't he win millions in that lawsuit? Surely it doesn't cost that much to get a syrup that doesn't look like the hair of a Poundland Barbie doll?

Everything else is barely worth mentioning, which suggests it wasn't needed in the first place. Samoa Joe vs. Rey, Roman vs. Drew, Balor vs. Lashley and Orton vs. Styles in particular. Take all those matches off and it benefits the show massively. That Dance Break before the Main Event had to be the most tone deaf thing of all time, too. Or the greatest troll. Isn't it the case that Vince never sleeps? Maybe that's why he thinks everyone can withstand this marathon?

But yeah. Fucking hell. Even when you know it's going to be long it still doesn't prepare you for how exhausted you end up feeling. I was so excited that I was working tonight and could get paid to watch it. In retrospect, I wish I'd watched it in three or four sittings. I'm dead.

Still though, Kofi with his belt and his kids. Fuck YEAH.

Edited by Supremo

• Awards Moderator

Good show. Enjoyed it. Not sure how it came over on the telly but the expected knackeredness towards the end wasn’t evident where I was sat. The block I was in went absolutely mental for Kofi’s win. And despite the shithouse ending of the main, Becky got an insane reaction for the win.

From getting into the stadium to getting on the coach home outside it was 11.5 hours. I feel like I’ve been fingered by King Kong.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

Yeah I’ve just this minute gotten back to my hotel. Got to stadium at about 3.30pm, it’s now 3.20am.

I feel absolutely wrecked, but would happily pay £500 for a seat, with a pillar blocking 25% of the ring, and do it all over again.

Going in I felt about as ambivalent about a Wrestlemania card as I ever have, and I feel about the same having sat through seven hours of it. It wasn't bad overall and it had some nice moments though. Kofi/Bryan was the highlight, and I'm surprised to say that Batista/HHH was my second favourite match. The main event was a bit sloppy and played to a dying crowd, but I'm happy enough for Becky. Seth/Brock was a rare piece of astute booking, I thought, and I was fine with everything about it (although Seth looked like he was limping on his entrance, so maybe that played into it?). I thought AJ/Orton was pretty good too.

As it turns out, my only real disappointment was with the stage and set-up. Fair enough, they've set the bar really high in the last few years and I can forgive a creative downgrade, but what I actively disliked was the colour scheme and the red tinged lighting. Too often it made me feel like I was watching an episode of Raw.

Credit to everyone who sat through it in person. It's nice to hear your enthusiasm shining through. Much as I love wrestling and as much as I've always wanted to go to a Wrestlemania, I'm not sure I could hack that marathon in that environment nowadays. Fair play to all of you who did.