2019 Daisy-Pushing Thread

Gus Mears

• Awards Moderator

Awful news bAz. She pretty much had a UKFF account so I feel like she's been here all the time. So sorry for you. I've "liked" your post as a thumbs-up of support, I invite others to do the same.

• Paid Members

Sorry to hear that, Baz. Hope you're bearing up well.

Scott Walker dying is pretty gutting. 76 isn't a bad innings, particularly for a pop star of his generation, though my list of musical heroes is looking pretty thin on the ground after the past few years. And his rate of production meant that you had to hope he'd live into triple figures just to get two more albums out of him.

He represents an almost completely lost side of the music business to me, where someone could have the time and the scope to grow artistically from being essentially a member of a boy-band, into a brooding singer-songwriter, into an avant-garde maverick, and be (for the most part) left to his own devices in doing so. 

The Walker Brothers were a cut above most other bands of their ilk, his solo material on Scott I through IV is absolutely gorgeous, and a real exercise in seeing the development of his ideas. Even the "wilderness years" between Scott IV and Nite Flights, while mostly asinine covers, produced some quality hidden gems. 

Everything from Tilt onwards is utterly magnificent. When I heard Blackstar, which I think is Bowie's most challenging work, and amongst his best, my first thought was "Bowie's finally catching up to what Scott Walker's been doing since 1995". The first time I heard Tilt, and The Drift, I remember thinking that I was hearing the future of music, that this guy was 10-20 years ahead of the curve. I never found them difficult to listen to the way some did (On 30 Century Man, Marc Almond talks about how he found Tilt unlistenable). Then, on hearing Bisch Bosch, I found it genuinely a struggle, and genuinely hard work to make sense. At first I was a little disappointed, after having waited so long for new material, but later it dawned on me that what I was feeling was that same sense of unease that others had felt around Tilt, and that was actually quite an exciting thought, that Walker was now so far ahead of the curve that I was struggling to keep up.

Interestingly, he claimed that Soused, the collaboration he did with SunnO))), was the closest he ever got to perfecting the sound he wanted.

I love Scott Walker. He had this incredible way of writing lyrics about something quite mundane and making it sounds gloriously massive with orchestral arrangements. His voice was incredible and I always thought he had the best look on any 60s star (bar Steve Marriot)

1-4 are constant plays for me, with 3 being a masterpiece.

I always admired Scott Walker the way you admire the sun - acknowledge its importance without looking directly at it too often.  

His music is challenging and not something I'd pop on in the background. But I might listen to it on a long car journey where I could get fucking drunk at the other end. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I've never even fucking heard of Scott Walker until today. What a pleb I am.

I'd have said the same until I realised he's one of the Walker Brothers. Know them for songs like The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore and Make It Easy On Yourself from old 60s comp tapes. Never heard his revered solo stuff .

• Paid Members

Sorry to read that, bAz.

Scott Walker is a bit of a hero of mine, so I was a bit battered when I saw the news. I think I mentioned in the Perfect Albums thread that when I first heard Tilt I came out of it feeling severely anxious for the rest of the day. For me, it's his best work because it was such an overwhelming experience. It sing, lulls, thumps and howls, all at moments that are jarring enough to leave you unsettled, without coming across as too try hard or up it's own arse.

I must admit I don't really like his early work and only really bother with his music from the last Walker Brothers album, which was a massive influence on the Eno/Bowie work in the 70s. As BomberPat mentions, Blackstar seems to be Bowie once again fully embracing his fandom and influence, creating another classic. I also realised the other week that Morrissey's ambitious but flawed Southpaw Grammar album sounds like it was heavily influenced by Tilt, given the long songs that experiment with strings, unsettling whales and drumming.

A little annoying he spent so many years not making the music he wanted, but what a run of truly original albums he had.

• Paid Members

I have to confess I also had never heard of him or the Walker Brothers, even despite being a Bowie fan. Thanks to some of the links and recommendations on here, hopefully I can begin to remedy this. What I've clicked on so far is interesting, and I'm intrigued to hear more.

• Paid Members

I was putting together a chronological Scott Walker primer last night for a friend, so those of you keen to check him out. Listening to it in order, I find you notice the exploration of consistent themes taken to extreme lengths;

1. The Walker Brothers - Make It Easy On Yourself
2. The Walker Brothers - The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More
3. The Walker Brothers - Orpheus
4. The Walker Brothers - No Regrets
5. The Walker Brothers - Nite Flights
6. The Walker Brothers - The Electrician
7. Scott Walker - Amsterdam 
8. Scott Walker - Montague Terrace In Blue
9. Scott Walker - Plastic Palace People
10. Scott Walker - 30 Century Man
11. Scott Walker - Copenhagen
12. Scott Walker - The Old Man's Back Again (Dedicated To The Neo-Stalinist Regime)
13. Scott Walker - Prologue
14. Scott Walker - Little Things (That Keep Us Together)
15. Scott Walker - Track Three
16. Scott Walker - Tilt
17. Scott Walker - Farmer In The City
18. Scott Walker - Cossacks Are
19. Scott Walker - Jesse
20. Scott Walker - Epizootics!
21. Scott Walker & SunnO))) - Brando

I've put Amsterdam in there as an example of his Jacques Brel material - feel free to swap out for Mathilde, Jackie, or Next.

It's always interesting who draws the line where, I've seen a few "essential" playlists going around today that would make you think he never recorded anything after Scott IV, and I know experimental music fans that won't touch anything before it. Personally, seeing that growth from the Walker Brothers' early days through to collaborating with SunnO))) is part of what makes him so fascinating. 

Edited by BomberPat