2019 Daisy-Pushing Thread

Gus Mears

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I was putting together a chronological Scott Walker primer last night for a friend, so those of you keen to check him out. Listening to it in order, I find you notice the exploration of consistent themes taken to extreme lengths;

I've put Amsterdam in there as an example of his Jacques Brel material - feel free to swap out for Mathilde, Jackie, or Next.

It's always interesting who draws the line where, I've seen a few "essential" playlists going around today that would make you think he never recorded anything after Scott IV, and I know experimental music fans that won't touch anything before it. Personally, seeing that growth from the Walker Brothers' early days through to collaborating with SunnO))) is part of what makes him so fascinating. 

Great list, but I'd include After The Lights Go Out. It's an early indication of Scott's lurking darkness back in the 60s. He didn't write the song, but the lyrics are a signpost to his more out there stuff later on. There were hints!

I was taken aback that he'd died because 76 isn't that old these days, and his music is fantastic, all of it - the pop stuff that still had an edge to his Residents-like stuff later in life. All of it has been a huge boon to my life. Fucking brilliant musician. Thanks, you mental genius. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I was putting together a chronological Scott Walker primer last night for a friend, so those of you keen to check him out. Listening to it in order, I find you notice the exploration of consistent themes taken to extreme lengths;

I've put Amsterdam in there as an example of his Jacques Brel material - feel free to swap out for Mathilde, Jackie, or Next.

It's always interesting who draws the line where, I've seen a few "essential" playlists going around today that would make you think he never recorded anything after Scott IV, and I know experimental music fans that won't touch anything before it. Personally, seeing that growth from the Walker Brothers' early days through to collaborating with SunnO))) is part of what makes him so fascinating. 

Scott Walker Sings Jacques Brel is a great little EP. I'd possibly stick Girls & Dogs in there from that period?

Is that playlist on Spotify?

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Shane Rimmer, the voice of Scott Tracy from Thunderbirds and a supporting actor from a couple of Roger Moore's Bond films has passed away at the age of 89.

• Awards Moderator

Based on @BomberPat's list, I made a Spotify playlist of Scott Walker. Like @tiger_rick I don't know Scott beyond the 60s stuff. So I'll give this a listen over the next few days.

https://open.spotify.com/user/roastpotato/playlist/6pjC5XTeo1DyGtG4zbdT8G?si=gS9z0APrQSiayMPaoBM_8Q

@Carbomb and @jazzygeofferz sounded interested too.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ThumpSquids said:

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better karaoke song than 'Jackie'.

Frankie Boyle's New World Order played it over the credits of the first episode this season, which I thought was a nice touch. 

I'd never considered it a karaoke song, but having belted it out to myself on many a drunken walk home, I might have to give it a go.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, ThumpSquids said:

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better karaoke song than 'Jackie'.

Every time I ask the karaoke bloke at my Mum's pub he's got no idea what I'm on about, which is a shame as I'm trying to learn the French version, or at least the chorus to confuse some people. 

Stand up comedian Ian Cognito died on stage on Wednesday night of a heart attack. I'd seen him live a handful of times and he was one of the best comics I've ever seen on the circuit. Rebellious, unpredictable and utterly brilliant. The stories that float around about this guy over the course of his 30+ years in the business are urban legend. Never have I seen an audience crying with laughter but also scared for their lives. He never did TV as producers who too afraid to book him but I think the raw energy he had would have been lost on the screen. There are hardly any videos of him on YouTube unfortunately. The guy was a force of nature on stage and his shows were electric. You really had to see it to believe it. He was like the Ozzy Osborne of stand up - anarchic and masterful.

The last time I saw him live a couple of years ago he walked onstage, grabbed an empty chair from the front row - from someone who hadn't made it back from the interval in time - and just sat on the stage reading that days newspaper out loud and commenting on the stories. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. 

Probably the most famous story of him is this one, taken from his autobiography:

I made my way towards the stage, dressed in an impressive, voluminous black raincoat. Once the applause had died down, a silence descended as I looked around quizzically.

With a look of exasperation I took from my pocket a Bosch cordless drill and set it to work on a patch of wall that I had noted earlier for its clear sight-lines. The brick dust and plaster dribbled out and made a small cone on the floor.

Above the ‘raaaaaaaaar’ of the drill a laugh was starting up from the crowd. I then searched my pockets until I found a rawl plug, which I placed in the hole I had just made and then screwed in a stainless steel hook. Then, I hung my coat up.

By now the laughter was a rolling wave and I waited for it to die down.

‘There’s fucking never anywhere to hang your coat on these stages,’ I said, somewhat superfluously.

Another great one:

"He once stayed over at mine and when we woke up in the morning he was gone. It was a second floor flat and the front door was deadbolted. I asked him how he said he had no recollection."

This one from James Acaster:

"I’d heard so many stories before I met him. I got to a gig and the promoter said ‘Ian’s here & is in the dressing room.’ I didn’t know which Ian he meant, opened the door and a man was pissing in the sink and smiling at me. I remember thinking to myself, ‘I think this is Ian Cognito.’"

RIP Cogs.

Edited by wordsfromlee

I remember seeing Ian Cognito do the comedy night at my uni Students Union. I can’t remember much of the act as it’s been over 15 years since, but I do remember he was doing his closing bit, which admittedly was similar to the famous ‘It’s Just A Ride’ routine that Bill Hicks did (which was probably done by someone else him too) when a heckler called him out on it, saying that he was ripping off Hicks, which Cognito didn’t take kindly to and hit the guy in the face with his guitar. After a bit of a scuffle, the heckler legged it out of the union with Cognito’s guitar.

I saw Cognito again at Leeds Festival in 2008, and he went down about as well as Hitler at a Bar Mitzvah. He was doing his opening, a routine about how awful racism is, which obviously it is, then proceeded to call someone in the crowd a Jap for about 5 minutes. The boo’s and “Off! Off! Off!... chants started coming thick & fast, to which he started playing his guitar singing “I ain’t getting off till you shut your fucking mouths”. The crowd went silent and he eventually left a couple of minutes later. He was meant to do about 30 minutes but must have been on for 10 tops. Very fucking surreal

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

The brilliant Steve Golin, movie producer died at 63. Fucking cancer. 

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/steve-golin-dies-dead-true-detective-revenant-1203194299/

Absolute genius level talent able to get the best out of some wild prodigies, like Spike Jonze, Charlie Kaufman, etc. Worked on loads of great stuff like True Detective, Eternal Sunshine, The Revenant and miles more. Genuine loss for the industry.