All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Bohan said:

Why would you need to be familiar with any of the superstars taking part in the battle royal?  This is a startup promotion trying to present something fresh, the roster should also be presented as fresh and exciting.  Surely this is the whole point?

The fresh and exciting alternative to WWE is aiming to showcase the best talent in the world not signed to WWE, being funded, promoted and booked by some of the most recognizable (to the West) non-WWE active wrestlers on the planet. To appeal to the kind of fan that gets excited by a roster featuring Cody, Kenny, the Bucks, Jericho and (as was) Pac, and for whom you add non wrestlers like JR and Earl Hebner to try and hook. The battle royal is for a shot at their uncrowned World Champion, it shouldn't be a parade of guys same fans either don't know or who are "bubbling under" so to speak.

Edited by air_raid

8 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Big Dave has been saying that PAC was going to beat Page but would then go on to face Omega and they didn’t want Omega to lose so rather than start the storyline and end it abruptly, they decided to not even bother starting it. 

I mean, it makes sense from all parties, but isn't this the type of shit you organise and plan out before even booking the match? 

I don't know. It's shoddy all around. They'd better have a good replacement lined up, otherwise this isn't going to set them off on the right foot. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, JNLister said:

I wonder if they'll have time to edit out any Pac stuff from that ITV preview show on Thursday. You'd have to think a British guy in a top match is going to be heavily featured.

Not that it counts for much, but it's still advertised on the ITV Box Office website. 

Card subject to change and all that.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

I mean, it makes sense from all parties, but isn't this the type of shit you organise and plan out before even booking the match?

Announced and promoted matches being kiboshed because political wranglings the company didnt think about? 1PW shit right there.

23 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Is that seen as screwy? Let's say it's a 60 minute draw, and I could easily see them both going that far, it'd be seen as a great athletic feat.

They dont want to do draws. Wins and losses matter. They're trying to do a lot of stuff people complain about regarding wwe. They'd rather pull the match than do a non clean win and loss finish. 

• Paid Members

I hate the idea of "no non clean wins and losses", or "no draws". 

Any finish is a gimmick in a gimmicked sport, to create a hierarchy of acceptability of finishes only works because the audience have bought into them. Any finish is just a tool available to you in wrestling's storytelling toolkit. For wins and losses to matter, you need the occasional draw, you need the occasional DQ or count out. There's nothing wrong with them, and you're just limiting yourself by not utilising them well. 

If nothing else, as a fan, why would I buy into the dramatic tension of a referee threatening a disqualification, or a babyface struggling to make it back to the ring before they get counted out, when the owners of the company are loudly shouting "DON'T WORRY, WE DON'T DO THAT KIND OF FINISH HERE"?

Edited by BomberPat