Sign in to follow this  
MPDTT

All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

17 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

It surprises me when I hear Bret talk about how much he wanted Earl to ref his matches pre-montreal. You'd think Hart would want someone that helps make everything look legit, not hokey.

He trusted Earl. Whoops.

TNT confirmed :)

2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

To be fair to AEW, they've announced the other refs the same way as well and it's all to pop daft sods like myself. They've got Bryce Remsburg and Rick Knoxx (two indy ref mainstays) and Aubrey Edwards, who must've left an excellent impression during 'Mania weekend.

So whilst the sole image of Hebner being announced is silly and reeks of TNA-esque 'WWE lite', taken within the context of the other announcements it's great news. It also gives the promotion a bit more clout as they're bringing in refs who are experienced in all aspects of refereeing. It's a brilliant move, in my opinion.

Your mistake there was assuming that people would be prepared to be fair to AEW. They could announce Drake Wuertz and some people on here would be giving it, "Urgh, not that orange shit house!"

If they learn from All In and just have Earl referee without putting a mic on him it's a smart hire. They've been up front about wanting to provide a wrestling show and a lot of wrestling fans will recognise Earl. No one's turning the channel on because Earl's there but to a lot of fans Earl will be like the Fox logo at the beginning of Star Wars, a familiar touchstone. Conversely if you're gonna change the channel because you see Hebner there, I honestly don't know what to say. I always loved Randy Anderson but I didn't stop watching WWF when Nick Patrick made the jump but Randy didn't.

1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

TNT just tweeted it out. Its official. They're back in the wrestling business.

With added Nitro flames too! I love that someone there is a big enough nerd to know about Ted Turner's "Vince, I'm in the wrestling business" phone call. I'm guessing Ted is retired and not involved in anything anymore? Make one more call from your ranch Ted, for a laugh!

I suspect I'll be disappointed with the direction of the show quickly and lose interest, but its great to see something with momentum. Something is actually happening!

Edited by Rob Lowe

Amazing stuff. Really pleasing to have a viable number two.

Glad I was in the middle on all this. Because the "it'll never happen" mob look stupid now and the sycophants will look stupid later.

Yeah, I think you can admit this is really exciting stuff without going mad and declaring it a revolution that's going to kill WWE or whatever.

Jon Moxley in the Lex Luger role for their first show seems more likely than ever.

I liked in the ITV/Tony Khan interview he expressed his desire for UK PPV's as well. I mean, they are definitely not messing around with this, and I hope this means a return to ITV for the new show. Maybe they could run it on Saturday afternoons after the return of The Chart Show and before The Munsters Today

I'd never seen Tony Khan until that ITV interview. I'd love to know Vince McMahon's reaction to a speccy, scrawny, Observer subscriber having a go at this.

I'm absolutely starting an unofficial AEW YouTube series where I "analyse the moves" and talk stats with fellow like-minded, smart wrestling fans.

In all seriousness though, this is brilliant news regardless of your AEW or WWE stance. More legit competition is always a positive. 

AEW really are the Liverpool FC of the wrestling industry.

They are doing all the right things and creating what we all expect will be an entertaining brand, and under normal circumstances we'd all love them for it. But fuck me, their fans aren't half annoying.

12 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I'd love to know Vince McMahon's reaction to a speccy, scrawny, Observer subscriber having a go at this.

He'll have him down as the rich kid son of a billionaire who's looking to get into the "wrasslin' business" while Vince is actually more into drinking water and making movies.

1eeebcb4-4f51-43c4-be7c-d5d802ee015d-ori

Different worlds, totally.

Edited by David