All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members

He was a terrible awful. Did too much to draw attention to himself during matches (I get that sometimes it was the booking that dictated it, but it wasn't always the case). He's wrestling's Mike Dean.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Earl forgetting everything he was supposed to say prior to the Magnus/Cody match has landed him a job. Fair play to him. The Alan Pardew of pro wrestling referees.

Christ, I forgot about this. But then again, I also forgot he reffed that match so he can't be that bad...

4 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

He was a terrible awful. Did too much to draw attention to himself during matches (I get that sometimes it was the booking that dictated it, but it wasn't always the case). He's wrestling's Mike Dean.

This has really intrigued me, and I'll keep a look out for this detail when I re-watch older stuff.

Actually, I did watch the Backlash main event last week and the way he slowly got in the ring and counted a slow 3 for Rock's victory really annoyed me. Trips lost to a single People's Elbow and was staring at the ceiling for a good ten seconds. I'm sure he was very pleased.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

This has really intrigued me, and I'll keep a look out for this detail when I re-watch older stuff.

When you watch back the stuff with Earl reffing, you’ll know when someone is about to kick out. He makes it very obvious. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

I always thought Hebner was a terrible ref. His movements are weird and jerky, he looks strange, there's nothing natural to what he does.

And don't get me started on that bullshit where the heel tries to bully him only for Earl to refuse to back down and shove the heel to the ground. Fucking woeful stuff. 

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

All In was built around the NWA title. They can't decide whether they're revolutionizing the business or if the past is super relevant.

The past is relevant at the moment, but when Cody defeats the attitude era at the PPV, they can crack on with the revolution.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, David said:

I always thought Hebner was a terrible ref. His movements are weird and jerky, he looks strange, there's nothing natural to what he does.

And don't get me started on that bullshit where the heel tries to bully him only for Earl to refuse to back down and shove the heel to the ground. Fucking woeful stuff. 

Booting the heel off the ropes when they refused to break was the worst. Use your count or disqualify them. Thats your job.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Booting the heel off the ropes when they refused to break was the worst. Use your count or disqualify them. Thats your job.

Seconded. This is right up there in the list of ref pep peeves, along with not letting the face do a dive to the outside.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

It surprises me when I hear Bret talk about how much he wanted Earl to ref his matches pre-montreal. You'd think Hart would want someone that helps make everything look legit, not hokey.

He trusted Earl. Whoops.

2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

To be fair to AEW, they've announced the other refs the same way as well and it's all to pop daft sods like myself. They've got Bryce Remsburg and Rick Knoxx (two indy ref mainstays) and Aubrey Edwards, who must've left an excellent impression during 'Mania weekend.

So whilst the sole image of Hebner being announced is silly and reeks of TNA-esque 'WWE lite', taken within the context of the other announcements it's great news. It also gives the promotion a bit more clout as they're bringing in refs who are experienced in all aspects of refereeing. It's a brilliant move, in my opinion.

Your mistake there was assuming that people would be prepared to be fair to AEW. They could announce Drake Wuertz and some people on here would be giving it, "Urgh, not that orange shit house!"

If they learn from All In and just have Earl referee without putting a mic on him it's a smart hire. They've been up front about wanting to provide a wrestling show and a lot of wrestling fans will recognise Earl. No one's turning the channel on because Earl's there but to a lot of fans Earl will be like the Fox logo at the beginning of Star Wars, a familiar touchstone. Conversely if you're gonna change the channel because you see Hebner there, I honestly don't know what to say. I always loved Randy Anderson but I didn't stop watching WWF when Nick Patrick made the jump but Randy didn't.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

TNT just tweeted it out. Its official. They're back in the wrestling business.

With added Nitro flames too! I love that someone there is a big enough nerd to know about Ted Turner's "Vince, I'm in the wrestling business" phone call. I'm guessing Ted is retired and not involved in anything anymore? Make one more call from your ranch Ted, for a laugh!

I suspect I'll be disappointed with the direction of the show quickly and lose interest, but its great to see something with momentum. Something is actually happening!

Edited by Rob Lowe

• Paid Members

Amazing stuff. Really pleasing to have a viable number two.

Glad I was in the middle on all this. Because the "it'll never happen" mob look stupid now and the sycophants will look stupid later.