All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Nothing says "fresh new alternative" like..... Christ, I've run that joke into the ground, haven't I? Best look for a fresh new alternative.

• Paid Members

This is the first one that's a stretch for me. I get the desire to get name value on the show. WCW did it. ECW did it. TNA did it. WWE do it now. So if you can get a Chris Jericho, use a Jim Ross or Dustin Rhodes, you do. But fucking Earl Hebner? That's the first one that just feels like they've got a hard-on for the WWF 20 years ago.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

This is the first one that's a stretch for me. I get the desire to get name value on the show. WCW did it. ECW did it. TNA did it. WWE do it now. So if you can get a Chris Jericho, use a Jim Ross or Dustin Rhodes, you do. But fucking Earl Hebner? That's the first one that just feels like they've got a hard-on for the WWF 20 years ago.

or TNA 10 years ago

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

That's the first one that just feels like they've got a hard-on for the WWF 20 years ago.

All In was built around the NWA title. They can't decide whether they're revolutionizing the business or if the past is super relevant.

• Paid Members

I get bringing in Earl Hebner, or any very experienced ref - as a few have pointed out on here, including BomberPat, a good referee does more than just count. But announcing him like this really screams "wooden spoon". There's just no need. He's not a name that shifts tickets, bumps ratings or PPV buys, or sells merch.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

He's not a name that shifts tickets, bumps ratings or PPV buys, or sells merch.

Oh, but they tried.

IMG_6460.jpg

• Paid Members

To be fair to AEW, they've announced the other refs the same way as well and it's all to pop daft sods like myself. They've got Bryce Remsburg and Rick Knoxx (two indy ref mainstays) and Aubrey Edwards, who must've left an excellent impression during 'Mania weekend.

So whilst the sole image of Hebner being announced is silly and reeks of TNA-esque 'WWE lite', taken within the context of the other announcements it's great news. It also gives the promotion a bit more clout as they're bringing in refs who are experienced in all aspects of refereeing. It's a brilliant move, in my opinion.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Oh, but they tried.

Good fucking lord, I didn't know this existed.

Hebner is a shit ref, JR is no longer a decent announcer either. They shouldn't have brought either of these two on board. Thumbs down appointments I'm afraid.

• Paid Members

I agree on thumbs down on JR; he's way past his sell-by date.

I haven't seen much of Earl since he got the kick from WWE though. I take it that he isn't that good anymore? He never blew me away but he never seemed actively bad either.