All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Factotum said:

This is genuinely brilliant news. Well done to all involved to get it this far.

"Waits to see if Tony Khan gives this post an upvote"

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, David said:

Hopefully not, because it sounds quite terrible.

It may just be me, but I find the idea of people sitting round a table or whatever trying to discuss pro wrestling as if it's a legit sport to be cringeworthy as fuck. There's no need for it, as it just highlights how fucking ridiculous the whole industry is in reality.

It's different if people are taking it seriously "in the show" so to speak, as that's fine and completely expected, but these review type deals that we see before WWE pay per views are the drizzling shits I reckon.

Keep the "sports" element to within the show, analysing finishing holds, giving points for wins in tournaments or whatever, fair enough. But we don't need the matches and angles being analysed as though it's an episode of MOTD.

That kind of shit is way up there with podcasts that discuss the goings-on in Eastenders in a semi-serious tone. We don't need it.

Talking Smack was pretty great though

• Paid Members

Depends how it's done. We've seen it done brilliantly in Talking Smack and dreadfully in every single WWE "pre-game" show of the modern era.

Personally, I don't often watch the analysis on MOTD, it's dreadful. But Monday Night Football do a great job. So all about people and presentation.

I want to feel like the hosts/commentators/whatever are presenting an event and aren't just shills for the company. That'd be the key presentation factor for me.

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Talking Smack was pretty great though

As I said, it depends on how they would approach it. The way they do it on those pre-shows is terrible in my opinion, selling us on the matches being real and the outcomes based on ability and suchlike. 

Maybe others think that's cool, but all it does for me is remind me that what I'm watching is pretend and kind of kills the suspension of disbelief a little.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, David said:

Hopefully not, because it sounds quite terrible.

It may just be me, but I find the idea of people sitting round a table or whatever trying to discuss pro wrestling as if it's a legit sport to be cringeworthy as fuck. There's no need for it, as it just highlights how fucking ridiculous the whole industry is in reality.

It's different if people are taking it seriously "in the show" so to speak, as that's fine and completely expected, but these review type deals that we see before WWE pay per views are the drizzling shits I reckon.

Keep the "sports" element to within the show, analysing finishing holds, giving points for wins in tournaments or whatever, fair enough. But we don't need the matches and angles being analysed as though it's an episode of MOTD.

That kind of shit is way up there with podcasts that discuss the goings-on in Eastenders in a semi-serious tone. We don't need it.

• Paid Members
Just now, David said:

If they planned on hamming it up like that then I'm all in, pardon the pun.

That's the thing; any analysis or punditry would still have to be part of the storylines and angles, it's still pro-wrestling. If it was just dry analysis, treated like it's separate from the sport like it is in real life, then it would definitely be boring. It all needs to be a vehicle to drive the product, not just provide window dressing. In that sense, it could give an extra dimension to feuds and angles; I've gone on about it before, but that turning of Mr. Perfect on Flair to join Savage for the Survivor Series tag match was a beautiful piece of booking.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

That's the thing; any analysis or punditry would still have to be part of the storylines and angles, it's still pro-wrestling. If it was just dry analysis, treated like it's separate from the sport like it is in real life, then it would definitely be boring. It all needs to be a vehicle to drive the product, not just provide window dressing. In that sense, it could give an extra dimension to feuds and angles; I've gone on about it before, but that turning of Mr. Perfect on Flair to join Savage for the Survivor Series tag match was a beautiful piece of booking.

Yeah, but we're discussing this analysis and punditry from a sporting standpoint, remember? The OP mentioned MOTD, which is the point I was addressing. I don't think such an approach would work.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Well.... where was Jack Tunney with all this commotion? He should have stepped in before it got to aggressive

And that's another thing: I really hope they don't have a bloody authority figure, and if they absolutely insist on it, that it only be like Jack Tunney, only showing up to make the odd announcement when it's really called for.

• Paid Members
Just now, David said:

Yeah, but we're discussing this analysis and punditry from a sporting standpoint, remember? The OP mentioned MOTD, which is the point I was addressing. I don't think such an approach would work.

True, but we're still discussing the sporting standpoint of analysis and punditry through a pro-wrestling filter. That's the thing people shouldn't lose sight of, I think. They've said they're looking at a "more" sporting-based approach, not a "completely" sporting-based one. The nature of pro-wrestling is such that the toothpaste can't be shoved back in the tube.

Besides, Cody and Co. have already set the tone themselves, and it's not exactly ESPN. Would look weird if they tried to do that after everything they've done to build up All In and Double or Nothing.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

And that's another thing: I really hope they don't have a bloody authority figure, and if they absolutely insist on it, that it only be like Jack Tunney, only showing up to make the odd announcement when it's really called for.

Well, now he is out of a job, only one man should be brought in

lnc4vuM.jpg

Max Beesley Sr