All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

12 hours ago, Loki said:

I hope "less soapy" means more in terms of presentation.  NXT is the best example of this - if it's not something happening in the ring, it's a tape of something that happened earlier in the day, or an official interview, or something off social media.  The really soapy aspect of normal WWE is all the backstage stuff, so just getting rid of all that would be a huge improvement.

Makes you realise how dated the WWE presentation style is - they've basically been doing the same thing for 20 years now.  TNA tried something different for a bit during the Bischoff era but it's time for a really fresh approach.  Having the matches on the show announced in advance, like a proper sports program - that doesn't stop you having storylines etc but it give a bit more internal structure to the whole thing.  UFC/Bellator have lots of nice stuff you could rip off without going full Match of the Day.

I think the less soapy thing could just be something like losing the 'invisible camera' aspect of WWE and simply acknowledge the environment they are in. 

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

This morning's Observer has revealed that Turner is fronting all of the production costs, which is a double edged sword for AEW. Whilst it's one less thing (albeit a massive thing) for AEW to worry about, it also means that Turner controls the final product. WWE and UFC both fully fund their own production, hence them having almost total control over what is shown on TV and PPV.

AEW are also getting a slice of the ad revenue (along with a downside on that), so this means the product has to be advertiser friendly (sorry MPDTT), which most likely means Turner having the last say on the production end so it appeals to major advertisers. This venture just got a bit more interesting.

Seems like a safe way to structure it. I really don't want to reopen that can of worms on PG v TV-14 :)

• Paid Members

It doesn't matter what age rating it gets as long as it's good wrestling. 

4 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It doesn't matter what age rating it gets as long as it's good wrestling. 

Agreed! Compelling characters, great in-ring product focused wrasslin' company that is targeting all ages when presenting their product. 

Targeting all ages is generally impossible.

When something is referred to as being a ‘family’ show/film, what they really mean is it’s for kids but the adults like it it because it makes their kids happy. Or because they’re geeks.

I love Doctor Who, but I’m not insecure enough to think it’s for all ages. It’s for children, I’m just a big enough loser to still enjoy the ride.

’family’ stuff might occasionally chuck in a ‘...says she likes it long and hard, master’ double entendre to stop the dads from blowing their brains out. But it’s kid stuff.

This is why I think AEW is going to be shite before long. ‘Less soapy, more sporty’ blended with ‘advertiser friendly’ just means matches with the occasional, benign ‘I WANT MY BELT’ stories. It’s the worst of every wrestling world.

’more soapy, less sporty’. That’s the dream. Give every wrestler an inexplicable second profession. It’s 2019. We can just reboot the 90s with modern jobs. I’m watching Tech Support Terry vs. Rideshare Ryan before I’m ever watching Cody a Rhodes wrestle for 45 minutes.

I hate how the Seth Rollins vs AJ Styles feud in WWE is built around them bumming each other’s wives and blowing up each other’s houses and other ridiculous, boring stuff. It should just be built around the title - them both wanting to prove who is the best wrestler on the show. A sports style product focused on the in-ring work of both men. Then it would be compelling, not boring. We need AEW to provide this exciting, compelling, in ring focused alternative.

But only if it’s got blood and women getting their tits out.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

Seems like a safe way to structure it. I really don't want to reopen that can of worms on PG v TV-14 :)

Yeah you really shouldn't considering how wrong you were last time.

44 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

Genuine questions......

Is any decent big men signed? Or is it all going to be workrate matches? 

Is there any potential suprises hinted other than Dean Ambrose? 

Any new gimmick matches that we havent witnessed before? 

Thanks.

I think Dustin and Cody are maybe the biggest guys they have? Dustin for sure I’d imagine. The rest wouldn’t pass the Nash test.