Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members

Sandys chip shop in Folkestone. Lovely and crispy chips. We went back for seconds on our walk . I forgot to take a picture. The stalking seagulls compelled us to consume the chips quickly. Quite impressed with the efforts made by Folkestone in  conserving their beachfront. Sandys is also veggie friendly. Unlike uber posh Wheelers in Dover.

The local rag had an adverticle of a chippy round the corner from me plugging that they are now selling a battered kebab bun.

I will take one for the UKFF team to try out this monstrosity and report back my findings.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/new-deep-fried-delicacy-norton-27524519

Oh that sounds superb @Glenryck Pilchards picture evidence please.

Our local chippy won the best in Hampshire. https://www.hampshirelive.news/whats-on/whats-on-news/pauls-plaice-best-fish-chips-8653500?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Its decent, but I cannot see it being the best chippy in the county. I'm sure there's a few on here that live locally, so would be interested to hear their thoughts.

And no, I still haven't had mushy peas.

16 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'm pretty sure those "best chippy" awards are paid for.

Oh you're so cynical! According to "Jake" he didn't even know they'd been nominated, which I would believe if they hadn't been telling everyone they were entering and that we should vote for them 🤣

"Speaking after the results were confirmed, Jake said: "I'm so overwhelmed with the support and love from all my customers, I didn’t even know we were entered into the competition until a customer messaged me!"

• Paid Members

I'm home alone for a few hours, which means I can engage in some debauchery.

eCCe9aA.jpg

I would've normally considered ÂŁ10.50 too much for a chippy (I find it far too easy to use prices from decades past as a reference) but I think most would consider that fair game for small chips, a mini cod, battered sausage, and a curry sauce. I was apprehensive about a small portion of chips being too little but can now confirm that it was spot on: I've avoided the customary compulsion to sleep which usually curses me after one of my rare trips to the chippy, Croft Fisheries in Nuneaton.

Now to dispose of the evidence ...

On 8/16/2023 at 10:56 AM, Chili said:

I'd love to know how many chippy awards exist in the UK. Every chippy seems to have one, I can't imagine they all have committee meetings.

When I first moved to Glasgow my then local chippy had some sort of award from Keith Chegwin of all people proudly on display.

• Paid Members

Just been on a day out with the extended family to West Witterings beach. Have just ended the day in a playpark scoffing two battered vegan Richmond sausages and chips.

Sausages excellent as were the fish and chicken nuggets everyone else had. Chips on the other hand were a letdown. Soft and really pretty cold. So a bit of a let down but it's did the job.

PXL_20230821_171844373.jpg

• Paid Members

Any Northerners here had a “John Bull”? A video just popped up on my Instagram feed. Two layers of potato with mince in the middle and then deep fried. Seriously contemplating driving the three hours to Blackburn to try it

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, waters44 said:

Any Northerners here had a “John Bull”? A video just popped up on my Instagram feed. Two layers of potato with mince in the middle and then deep fried. Seriously contemplating driving the three hours to Blackburn to try it

Never heard of that sexy sounding bastard.