Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Don't start this again. 

Lovely looking bit of fish though. 

I talked out of turn because you hardly find scraps this side of the Watford gap at a chippy. I will say though it was the best bit of haddock I’ve had in ages. Really chunky and the batter was top notch too.

• Paid Members
On 4/21/2023 at 8:48 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Recognised Wrights in the first pic! Haven’t been in for ages as quite often I’m Arndale based when in town and have been visiting What A Potato! Which is always a treat. 

There was nearly a follow up to this, as on the in-laws last day walking in Manchester they fancied one last taste of chips, but there was nowhere to sit in Wrights so we went home to cook something instead. I considered asking Mrs raid to park up by Armstrongs in Prestwich to take one home but it felt like pushing my luck so I left it.

So the summary of the odyssey remained ;

6 chippies between five counties in 3 countries of Great Britain,
14 portions of chips
13 cod
4 portions of curry sauce
2 orders of scampi
1 battered sausage, 1 mushy peas, 1 lot of onion rings
and 3 battered Mars Bars.

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

There was nearly a follow up to this, as on the in-laws last day walking in Manchester they fancied one last taste of chips, but there was nowhere to sit in Wrights so we went home to cook something instead. I considered asking Mrs raid to park up by Armstrongs in Prestwich to take one home but it felt like pushing my luck so I left it.

So the summary of the odyssey remained ;

6 chippies between five counties in 3 countries of Great Britain,
14 portions of chips
13 cod
4 portions of curry sauce
2 orders of scampi
1 battered sausage, 1 mushy peas, 1 lot of onion rings
and 3 battered Mars Bars.

What was your favourite chippy tea overall ?

I live on the Fylde coast and agree Yorkshire Fisheries chips are pretty good but the fish and batter are just incredible. Best I've ever had. We asked the waitress what the hell they do with the fish and she said its a secret. Blackpool is full of of great chippies and for Yorkshire Fisheries to keep their top spot for so long is very impressive. 

Bentleys in town is very, very good if you fancy a change from Yorkshire's and usually quieter too.

• Paid Members
On 4/24/2023 at 4:58 PM, Cousin Jim Bob said:

What was your favourite chippy tea overall ?

I live on the Fylde coast and agree Yorkshire Fisheries chips are pretty good but the fish and batter are just incredible. Best I've ever had. We asked the waitress what the hell they do with the fish and she said its a secret. Blackpool is full of of great chippies and for Yorkshire Fisheries to keep their top spot for so long is very impressive. 

Bentleys in town is very, very good if you fancy a change from Yorkshire's and usually quieter too.

It's a really tough call because all had plus points, Trying to avoid bias for location e.g. where we ate e.g. St Ives was beautiful, and factors like Harbour selling bottles of Belvoir soft drinks to enjoy with the food.... probably was still Harbour because the chips were awesome for flavour and crisp, and the cod was fucking huge. Not the cheapest but a great meal.

I've been aware of the great reviews of Bentleys for a while but going would be persuading Mrs raid, and she's been a Yorkshire loyalist since before we were together so I'd have a real tough time persuading her to gamble on a change.

Planning a trip to Aberystwyth soon to celebrate Mrs raid getting her citizenship but I havent had a chippy there in near 20 years. Need someone to clue me in as to whether the newer chippies on North Parade or the seafront are any good, if the drive up to the one in Waunfawr is still worth it and if I can park where Co-Op used to be, if we should just go to Central etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Was at mothers again on Saturday so trip to Kings was a must. Her and partner have decided that you don’t get enough chips in “kebab meat n chips” so pay the extra to get meat in a tray and a “regular” bag of chips separate. Mixed donner & chicken and battered chips for us, donner and half & half for them. Mrs raid surprised me by ordering onion rings last minute which in 30 years going there I’d never ordered and prior to last month I’d never ordered in a chippy but they were crisp and tasty. Mrs raid lamented out loud “I wish we had a chippy like this near us” as it seems in central Manchester/Salford the real chippies don’t do kebabs, only the kebab house/pizza fast food places where it’s shitty fries, no fish or peas or curry sauce etc. Though there’s always the one in Partington where I went before Mania 33.

IMG_0683.jpeg

IMG_0685.jpeg

IMG_0686.jpeg

IMG_0684.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_0688.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Have battered chips been a regular thing and I've just not seen them before? I'm dangerously intrigued.

They’re a bit of a midlands thing I believe. Orange chips are too but they can fuck off. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Have battered chips been a regular thing and I've just not seen them before? I'm dangerously intrigued.

They're really common in West Midlands (especially the Black Country) but I've never seen them in any other part of the UK.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The Co-Op do some nice beer battered chips at the moment and a bunch of years ago McCain used to do some but then discontinued them to my dismay. I'm a fan.

Can't say I've happened across them at the local chippies though, he said, remembering what this topic is.

Edited by Devon Malcolm