Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

(I always thought that Rock was dogfish)

That's what I thought - "rock salmon", no?

Also, my local chippy does mush. 

• Moderators
On 4/1/2023 at 3:29 PM, Arch Stanton said:

Southern chippies must be the fucking worst.

Mushy peas ✖️ 

Gravy ✖️ 

Curry Sauce ✖️ 

Dog's dicks ✔️

Not sure where this info is coming from but I'm not sure I've ever been to a chippy that didn't have mushy peas and curry sauce. Granted we don't have gravy and that is a very unfortunate omission.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Went across town to this one hidden in an estate on recommendation. Very tasty, best fish I've had in a long time. Good chippy tea experience in general, had a chat with the owner who explained in avid detail why he doesn't use palm oil and the trials and tribulations of running the joint for 30 years. Mushy peas (don't tell @SuperBacon will blow his mind I got them in the South West).20230421_182526.thumb.jpg.1bfbdc24da81db1f32eff9f5e1c3a0ea.jpg

• Paid Members

First chance I’ve had for a while to post here and… holy fuck. The Old Age In-laws * are visiting Mrs raid and me, and I decided the only way to better acquaint them with traditions of the UK than by showing them a chippy, would be to show them five or six.

Day after arrival we were having a casual stroll around Manchester city centre and happened to pass by Wrights which I mused aloud is thought in some circles to be the best in the city, though Mrs raid and I have never been in. So we grabbed a quick snack between sights. It’s hard for me to gauge off one regular chips plus a pot of curry between four adults but they did indeed seem good chips though curry sauce seemed to be too spicy for common law mother in laws taste. On Good Friday after a tour of Old Trafford we had an afternoon free so we braved Bank Holiday AND match day motorway traffic to head to Blackpool. After exhausting the three hours free parking at the cinema I directed Mrs raid to the Sainsbury’s car park and as soon as she realised we had 3 hours there if we spent a certain amount in the shop, she insisted we go for a meal from our usual, Yorkshire Fisheries. Picked up two cod n chips between four and one pot of curry sauce - chips were great, cod was one of the best I’ve had with a sweet meatiness Id struggle to do justice to. It followed the freshly fried doughnuts from the promenade nicely. The Polish invasion complained that they could have eaten more.

Next day we drove to Llandudno and an appropriate time after ice cream we headed straight for the queue at Barnacles. Cod n chips four times, curry AND scampi because Mrs raid loves it. Plus we forced a battered sausage on them to sample. Absolutely smashed the lot - the Mrs thought it was better than Blackpool, I thought the chips were superior but the fish couldn’t match the lifetimes best I’d had the day before. Everyone was happy with portions. Even the battered sausage was well-received, making a mockery of the fams purported disdain for greasy food. Fourth is somewhat of a cheat. We had a couple of nights in Edinburgh and on the full day walking around, savoury was actually looked after by Oink (which as a fan of a pork sandwich is basically mandatory whenever I’m in the city) but afterwards Mrs raid dashed to our usual, The Clam Shell, purely so that her parents could try that British classic - the battered Mars bar. It met with approval.

Finally we just had a week in Cornwall, and on a trip to St Ives swung by Harbour who are top rated on TripAdvisor and while that doesn’t mean anything, we’ve been before so know it’s good. Everything’s fresh and local and the chips (potatoes from Helston) had both great flavour and the best examples I’ve had for a while of “crispy outside, fluffy inside”. A chicken nugget accidentally made its way into the scampi but I considered that a bonus. Only letdown was that the “homemade” curry sauce still tasted exactly the same as curry sauce from nearly anywhere else - the champ in that respect remains Fish Over Chips in Grange Over Sands (Cartmel). The in-laws this time complained the portions were TOO large. Can’t please everyone. Still, picked up four “cruffins” for later from St Ives’ bakery. That’s a croissant shaped like a muffin dusted in sugar and stuffed with raspberry jam and custard.

On 4/21/2023 at 6:32 PM, Gus Mears said:

Mushy peas (don't tell @SuperBacon will blow his mind I got them in the South West).

Funny you say that… As if the above wasn’t enough on the last full night of the trip after an exhausting visit to Tintagel and with no desire to add washing up to packing, we went to Lewys in Hayle just down the hill from where we were staying. Three portions of cod n chips between four humans, one curry sauce, one mushy peas so mrs raid and her parents could try it, and the better half ordered onion rings for me though they were clearly from the freezer not homemade. Everything else was spot on though, maybe the best fish of the week, and I got to eat more than my fair share. The peas went down well with Poland even though they could have done with salt, I’m told.

It’s been a good three weeks to say nothing of all the Philps Cornish Pasties and other stuff, Roskillys ice cream, Walkers shortbread, scones, crumpets, saffron cake, hot cross buns, Eccles cakes, buttermilk fudge, Mrs Tilly’s tablet, Bury black pudding, Cadburys mini rolls etc we’ve been forcing the foreign fanatics to scoff in the name of expanding horizons. Yes, we cooked a lot too but that would be ludicrously off brand for this thread!!

*This was always how I imagined Triple H referring to Vince and Linda in the DX group chat.

B2D362DF-9B3A-40CD-AA51-74F0941011D7.jpeg

36F2D5E3-6D17-4BC1-8293-18B8DABDC0AE.jpeg

41E2EB32-369F-4A43-99FB-DA5B3E86F46F.jpeg

4ED04F6E-70F7-4529-A8F0-6504F2051D2E.jpeg

2EA8742D-390E-44F6-B15E-FE24F8C778CE.jpeg

D29C55A4-192D-471E-BBE2-41FECB4D2AC6.jpeg

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Recognised Wrights in the first pic! Haven’t been in for ages as quite often I’m Arndale based when in town and have been visiting What A Potato! Which is always a treat. 

I’m sure you’ve mentioned this before because I always think of you when I go past. Well, you and Rick. 😂 

• Paid Members

I’d have put a 50p next to it to give it some scale, if I’d had one left. We have a dinner set with regular and large plates. This was the large plate and that is a medium haddock apparently. However, inflation means my fish and chips increased since my last back in March to £11 (hence no change left). But it was banging.

3FD35484-5F39-4B75-9BA9-E97257178314.jpeg