Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Noticed on my way out they are doing battered pigs in blankets. Will have to investigate.

This wait is worse than actually waiting for Christmas.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Gus Mears said:

Is that a small plate or did they fry-up Moby Dick for you? Massive portion.

They do pretty big portions at my local chippy. We've found that we only need to order two portions of chips to feed our family of five, as they're bloody massive (also, my mum is a tiny lady in her 70s, who now eats less than a wren). Quality is mostly good, though they have been a bit hit-and-miss in the past (it's a southern, non-coastal chippy, so it's to be expected). But also, being London, it's a bit pricey, so the large portions are reassuring, in a way.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I don't eat fish, but that looks really nice. I'd like a bit more colour in the chips though.

Also, hope you don't feel too rough pal.

It's actually the phone's flash causing that effect. They had quite good colour (they must have bladed beforehand).

Thanks - I've been asymptomatic, but it's possibly because I also caught a bastard of a cold at the same time over the weekend (apparently there's some data to suggest that when a rhinovirus is competing in the same body with COVID, it tends to outperform the latter, so that might explain it). Am triple-jabbed, so am not worried for myself - it's more for people around me, specifically my sister who refuses to get jabbed.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a chippy last night as a birthday treat and decided I may as well go all out and went for a scottish delicacy known as a "pizza crunch".

A 9" pizza dipped in batter then deep fried. 

Usually at McMonagles where we went yesterday they make the pizza from scratch before doing so, so we don't mind paying the little bit extra than other local chippy's.

Disappointingly yesterday they had just used a 9" margherita frozen style pizza. No warning or notice that after 16 plus years of going there it had changed.

Not the same at all.

Two words.

Wont be back.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I wish I’d taken a photo, but probably best I didn’t given this is a bit off-brand but here goes. Parked up at the car park for Hotel Football last night for a work do and got hit by a waft of chippy chips smell which made me sad I was getting whatever the free food was going to be instead of going to the chippy. Anyway the buffet was actually fairly good and they had fish n chips - battered cod pieces (maybe half a mini cod sized) on newspaper style serviettes in baskets, and serve your own chips. They looked pretty good even though size and shape wise some were veering dangerously close to “wedges” rather than chips… they were fucking stunning. Tasted just like from the chippy, fluffy on the inside and real crisp on the outside. I felt guilty how good they were and not sure I can remember having as good from the real chippy in a fair while. Just thought I should share this and pray for absolution.

If that wasn’t bad enough, I stumbled upon Bulls Eye bbq sauce in the New York Steakhouse flavour for £1.50 in Lidl and to my delight with its crunch of diced pepper/onion, sweetness and pleasant heat, it’s a perfect substitute for my boyhood chippys sweet chilli sauce, even with a faint hint of mint, which makes it fucking awesome for replicating kebab n chips at home.

To amuse myself, I went back to the start of the thread to find the source of “real chippies don’t sell kebabs” but instead discovered this ;

On 8/16/2018 at 12:46 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

I'd go as far to say vegetarians should be banned from chippies. It's for their own good. Because if you went in a chippy in Cheetham Hill and asked for a halloumi and tofu wrap then you will end up deep fried.

On 8/16/2018 at 12:47 PM, Merzbow said:

Ah yes, Cheetham Hole, spitting distance to where I used to live, though a fonder memory is from 2017 when I was on the jury for a murder trial from Cheetham Hill. I credit myself single handedly with curtailing the exhausting deliberation of the 11 nitwits (sat at at 8-4 split at that point) and arriving at the fucking-obvious guilty verdict at around the 6 hour mark because I couldn’t be bothered with another lunch break when we’d all agreed to go to the pub anyway. I tell you this, readers because an interesting post script apropos of nothing, was that we learned the defendant had been one of the last five taken off the roof during the Strangeways riot in 90. The whole experience obviously being one of the most fascinating things I’ve ever done. Fascinating for me, anyway.

And yet we still moved to a 2 minute walk from the very takeaway where CCTV footage showed the ex boyfriend and his mate on their way to the scene the night he found her body and dialled 999.

EDIT ; to tie these two threads together we’ve since discovered the Bulls Head sauce for just 89p in B&M at Manchester Fort, which is near enough Cheetham Hill.

Edited by air_raid