Chippy Tea

Onyx2

A medium cod and chips in my local chippy is a tenner as of last weekend.  And the medium cod is considerably reduced in size.

Can't blame them though, their costs have gone through the roof this year.  They seem to be experimenting with different non-cod fish as well for the hard-up - skate wing!  Not tried it but I might next time.

I am very disappointed by some of the content of the last few pages - Chinese fish bars!  Anywhere run by Chinese people that serves chow mien is not a chippie, come on now.  There's a chippie round the corner that is run by a Chinese family, and it's disgusting.  They use the wrong sort of oil.   I've always wondered who buys chicken and chips from a Chinese (off the "English" selection), now I find it's some of you lads.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Loki said:

A medium cod and chips in my local chippy is a tenner as of last weekend.  And the medium cod is considerably reduced in size.

Can't blame them though, their costs have gone through the roof this year.  They seem to be experimenting with different non-cod fish as well for the hard-up - skate wing!  Not tried it but I might next time.

I am very disappointed by some of the content of the last few pages - Chinese fish bars!  Anywhere run by Chinese people that serves chow mien is not a chippie, come on now.  There's a chippie round the corner that is run by a Chinese family, and it's disgusting.  They use the wrong sort of oil.   I've always wondered who buys chicken and chips from a Chinese (off the "English" selection), now I find it's some of you lads.

It’s Scousers. Only Scousers.

Also my local has been selling Hake as a cheap alternative. It wasn’t great.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Hard to take the opinion of someone who calls it a “Chippie” seriously. Are you Rishi Sunak?

If they are using the wrong oil, but they sell chips and not fries, it’s a chippy. It might be a shit chippy but it’s still a chippy. 

• Paid Members

3D3283EC-27AA-4AEF-82D9-472CE1E5DBB2.thumb.jpeg.4e3a38c01df12893b5aa210ec7f6eed0.jpegB511D113-FD95-4658-A2CD-3EB9C5BA0A53.thumb.jpeg.a007154f417b84d0cf3895729d14ea77.jpeg

Day 1 of annual leave - Cromer (Mary Jane’s chippy).

Cod (out of shot - being shared with the old dear - battery died before I took a photo), battered sausage and some chicken nuggets for my inner child. 

All inhaled in record time and most edible. I’ve earned this. 8/10 - some chips undercooked a tad, otherwise delightful for all the mains. 

5 hours ago, Bicurious Dad said:

It’s called a haggis pudding up here, also recommend a red pudding (a spiced meat sausage) and black/white puddings. We’ll batter anything up here, it’s our national dish.

Except whoever they are playing at sport 

Edited by Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Bo Ho on Shaw Road. Actually a really good takeaway though and 14yo loves their chips so I'm not complaining!

Never tried that one, I’ll give it a go.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s Scousers. Only Scousers.

As a Brummie by nature/Yam Yam by nurture who's spent most of the last 15 years living in Manchester, I take deeper offence to this than the "kebab shop" shade.

On the whole fries debacle... has anyone actually been unfortunate enough to encounter an establishment that will sell you a battered cod but with fries instead of real chippy chips? I'm starting to worry such a con might exist.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, air_raid said:

As a Brummie by nature/Yam Yam by nurture who's spent most of the last 15 years living in Manchester, I take deeper offence to this than the "kebab shop" shade.

On the whole fries debacle... has anyone actually been unfortunate enough to encounter an establishment that will sell you a battered cod but with fries instead of real chippy chips? I'm starting to worry such a con might exist.

This is the menu from my friends local chippy in Liverpool 

Spoiler

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

I have been there. It is like no fish and chip shop I have ever seen.

As to your last question. Yes. Any kebab house I have been too down south either offers fries or frozen oven chips which get cooked in the fryers. The fish is normally pretty bland as well.