Chippy Tea

Onyx2

29 minutes ago, deathrey said:

They bloody do not!  Sultanas in a curry are an absolute abomination and something I have never seen in India

Slight aside, but one of my favourite games is seeing randomly named dishes in restaurants and texting an Indian mate to see if it's "real"

If it's not, he will invariably respond "Nah, made up for the white people"

My favourite is Duck Tikka-Otty Tooty which he assures me no such thing exists.

The restaurant is called The Gaylord (tee hee hee)

• Moderators

The Upshire Fish Bar that was in my town growing up is the perfect combination of Chinese and Chippy. Gaze upon its beauty:

301552024_372626375076068_46596133999303A

As you can see, its a regular chippy in that it has a fryer and the heating lamp section, but it's actually an L shaped interior and on the left is for chinese which is done in the back. Completely separate menu as demonstrated by this ancient menu for the chippy part (I'm in my 40s and this menu was a vivid memory of mine as a kid):

13516423_609482249232857_257951015508377

21 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Slight aside, but one of my favourite games is seeing randomly named dishes in restaurants and texting an Indian mate to see if it's "real"

Haha yeah that's totally made up. In fact tooty isn't far off the Punjabi word for poo so you would never name a food that!

Edited by deathrey

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I think 90% of the menu in every indian/pakistani restaurant is made up for white people. Even the dishes with the names of traditional dishes are generally the white people variant.

The best and most traditional food in my opinion is always from the "sweet centres", not sure how common they are outside of the west midlands and theres a few in Glasgow. They predominantly sell the sweets like barfi, gulab jamun, jalebi, patisa etc but the savoury food is usually exceptional too.

One of my mates would always order in takeaways/restaurants in urdu and one time when I asked him what he had said he explained "Im telling them not to make mine how they do for white people". 

Back to chippy chat...scottish chippy curry sauce and english chippy curry sauce are worlds apart. In england its sweet, lumpy and generally watery. In Scotland its generally more akin to chinese curry sauce. In Ireland I've generally experienced the same.

Chippy tea for me on Tuesday night, counting the days. McMonagles chippy boat on the river clyde, "the worlds only sail thru chippy".

Edited by Jonny Vegas

I used to live near a mosque and a couple of times a week they'd be a chip van that'd drive around in time for when people were coming out in the evening, they'd sell the biggest bags you've ever seen for fuck all and we're pretty damn good chips at that.

To the annoyance of the forum we'd get them covered in chili sauce. Seems like they still might be going but doing more of a "loaded" chip thing.

• Paid Members

As an aside, when I'm heading to a particular motorway junction, I drive past "UK Chippy" with a big sign in full Union Jack/UKIP font, reminiscent of this forums old logo. I really hope there's nothing as exotic as curry sauce and the only thing you can get on top of British fish. British chips, British mushy pies and British pies, is spam. Like we had in the war.

Meant to post at the time but we went on holiday to Eyemouth in the Scottish borders a couple of weeks ago and went to Giocapazi's chip shop a couple of times. The sort of chippy tea that was that nice I didn't think to take a picture until I'd scoffed the lot, both times we ate from there. I had the haggis supper on one occasion and it was mega. I've had haggis before but just in it's minced form, they served it battered like a battered sausage which I wasn't expecting but fully support. I just wish it was something I could get round here.

I spent a couple of nights with my wife and kids up at Loch Ness staying in a little village called Fort Augustus. 

They had a chippy there called Monster Fish And Chips where I got battered slices of stornoway black pudding and chips. Sublime.

19 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

I can get on board with a battered haggis 'sausage'

It’s called a haggis pudding up here, also recommend a red pudding (a spiced meat sausage) and black/white puddings. We’ll batter anything up here, it’s our national dish.