Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

As to your last question. Yes. Any kebab house I have been too down south either offers fries or frozen oven chips which get cooked in the fryers. The fish is normally pretty bland as well. 

Horrific.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

That's not a chippy though, is it? It's a Chinese that offers English dishes.

If its proper battered cod and proper chippy chips, isn't it still a chippy? Just a "Chinese chippy"? I've had plenty of proper (and delicious) cod n chips n curry sauce meals from Chinese chippies, I wouldn't call them "not chippies." Some of them have absolute skinned some normal chippies for taste test too.

1 minute ago, air_raid said:

If its proper battered cod and proper chippy chips, isn't it still a chippy? Just a "Chinese chippy"? I've had plenty of proper (and delicious) cod n chips n curry sauce meals from Chinese chippies, I wouldn't call them "not chippies." Some of them have absolute skinned some normal chippies for taste test too.

It’s a yes from me. Chips from the Chinese tend to be frozen chips deep fried. If they’re proper chippy chips, it’s a chippy in my book. That’s the distinction between a Chinese chippy and a Chinese that does chips. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

That's not a chippy though, is it? It's a Chinese that offers English dishes.

In Liverpool, that's' a chippy. That's been my argument for years in this thread that Liverpool can't do fish and chip shops. They are all like it!

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Awards Moderator
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

In Liverpool, that's' a chippy. That's been my argument for years in this thread that Liverpool can't do fish and chip shops. They are all like it!

Nope, not the case. All of the ones I go to for a decent chippy don't sell anything Chinese. There are a shitload of the ones you've described/quoted, but there are hundreds of proper chippies around here.

I’ve never had bad proper chips off a Chinese whilst I’ve had tons of shit chips off tradishunal chippies. I suspect it’s another area the Chinese are superior in. As a rule I won’t use a Chinese if they do deep fried frozen chips, it’s an affront to my fatness.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Nope, not the case. All of the ones I go to for a decent chippy don't sell anything Chinese. There are a shitload of the ones you've described/quoted, but there are hundreds of proper chippies around here.

To be honest, that’s warming the cockles of my heart. I’ve got two friends In Liverpool who insist this is what a chippy is, and when I say it’s a Chinese that sells some chippy items, they say that’s a Scouse chippy. I’m glad not all scousers get chippies wrong and retract my previous comment. And I’ll tell my mates they are fucking morons.

Side note, my local Chinese don’t do fish but do some lovely Salt and Pepper Chips and sometimes I’ll get chips there and fish from the chippy. No idea if a wok is involved but I’d guess there would be.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

To be honest, that’s warming the cockles of my heart. I’ve got two friends In Liverpool who insist this is what a chippy is, and when I say it’s a Chinese that sells some chippy items, they say that’s a Scouse chippy. I’m glad not all scousers get chippies wrong and retract my previous comment. And I’ll tell my mates they are fucking morons.

Weirdly enough, I mentioned a couple of great, proper chippies in this thread the other day and one of them is a few hundred yards up from that one whose menu you posted.

420923464_Screenshot2022-09-07at13_28_28.thumb.png.e95251803a152378fee8ad41b0336455.png

Tell your mate to sort his life out and give Byrne's a visit.