Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

Where’s your local chippy, @RIDDUM_N_STYLE? If you’re near the area, I’d recommend Byrne’s on Stuart Road (not far from Goodison). Best chippy in Liverpool for generations and worth queuing up for, which is quite common. They’ve got one on Muirhead Avenue as well, not far from West Derby village, if that’s handier.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

11 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Every Chinese around here sells traditional chippy food tbh but as a guardian of the chip supper I classify it as novelty food to get the less adventurous customers on board with their exotic cuisine. Chinese curry, rice and chips is banging though.

The chinese I used to go to sold a fucking lasagne. 

Can you imagine ordering that from a chinese? All those options and you go for a frozen ready meal. 

• Paid Members

Yes, there are many Chinese chippys that also sell Chinese food.  If you are going for fish, chips, battered sausage, pie, fish cakes, scallops etc, then this thread welcomes you with open arms and allows, nay encourages you to suck on the nipple of our deep fried love.

If you are getting a Chinese, kindly go to another thread, stick it up your arse and fuck off while your at it.

1 hour ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Where’s your local chippy, @RIDDUM_N_STYLE? If you’re near the area, I’d recommend Byrne’s on Stuart Road (not far from Goodison). Best chippy in Liverpool for generations and worth queuing up for, which is quite common. They’ve got one on Muirhead Avenue as well, not far from West Derby village, if that’s handier.

Happy Villa on Priory Road mate

• Paid Members

I love a Chinese chippy round here (Manchester) and have no problem with their split of “real chippy” stuff plus “here’s an extensive Chinese menu too.” I’ve had plenty of great chippy meal experiences from Gordon’s Kitchen on Chester Road, Chiu’s in Eccles, one of the ones near the St Retford Mall, and a great one that used to be near the eye hospital and doesn’t exist any more. When I lived in Hulme I even had an occasional cod, chips and curry sauce where I’d have salt n pepper chips instead of regular ones with salt n sarsons.

If I ordered a chow mein and wings augmented with chips, I’d probably call it having a Chinese rather than dash to the Chippy Tea thread. Which can be as contentious as Brexit on a good day.

Jin Ho on the Chorlton /Old Trafford border used to be my local. The front was the chippy (alas no kebab) with a large chippy menu, the back kitchen was where they made the Chinese food. Really good chippy. It wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste but the curry sauce used was Chinese curry, not chippy curry but it was well lush. Can’t remember what the Chinese part of their menu was like though but it was a proper chippy. 

7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Jin Ho on the Chorlton /Old Trafford border used to be my local. The front was the chippy (alas no kebab) with a large chippy menu, the back kitchen was where they made the Chinese food. Really good chippy. It wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste but the curry sauce used was Chinese curry, not chippy curry but it was well lush. Can’t remember what the Chinese part of their menu was like though but it was a proper chippy. 

If I didn't think it would be a bit weird I'd grab chips from the chippy then get a pot of curry sauce from the Chinese on the same road, although, one local chippy did start selling 2 different curry sauces with one being Chinese.

1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

If I didn't think it would be a bit weird I'd grab chips from the chippy then get a pot of curry sauce from the Chinese on the same road, although, one local chippy did start selling 2 different curry sauces with one being Chinese.

The two curry sauces I see round here are “English” and “Irish”. The Irish is obviously better. 

I’ve mentioned it before but I have the ultimate hybrid chippy up the road from me. It’s a chippy that does some kebab stuff and the kitchen also does Indian Takeaways with a connected “Fine Dining” establishment. One kitchen. I can’t speak for the fine dining restaurant because I’m not a Tory but everything else they do Is pretty good.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Chinese chippys. It makes a nice change and the very good ones are excellent.

Its just in Liverpool its like every fucking chippy has 5 bazillion Chinese food items badly cooked on the menu. Most will be cooked by a non Chinese, white guy called Kev. The only variety to them here is the kebab type places.

Scousers love it though. Their chippy tea is salt and pepper chicken wings, egg fried rice and chips. When they go somewhere like Blackpool which is swamped in good chip shops they get their minds blown.

41 minutes ago, TheDude said:

More fruity I bet. Our curry sauce here is very fruity. I'm not a fan personally. I like curry sauce to be well curry. Not with sultanas. Those belong in an actual curry dish.

They bloody do not!  Sultanas in a curry are an absolute abomination and something I have never seen in India