Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

They're really common in West Midlands (especially the Black Country) but I've never seen them in any other part of the UK.

This is how it feels. My mum likes them but suffers a bit in the belly if she has too many so her and partner always ask for half and half so she eats mostly the normal chips. Mrs raid loves them, although as a recently naturalised citizen I should probably start forcing her to have bread n butter with her chippy tea, put milk in her tea etc "so she can be proper British" and various other things I don't do myself.

• Paid Members
On 4/21/2023 at 8:01 PM, air_raid said:

Llandudno … Barnacles.

This was yesterdays day out. Everything was even better than last time. Cod tastier, chips crisper, curry sauce fruitier. Mrs raid again instead I tried their onion rings and though I wasn’t sure I could be bothered, they were the “beer battered” type and delicious. Shit photos, keen to dig in as I was, cod’s still hidden by chips, but great eating.

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0733.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

IMG_0996.jpeg

IMG_0994.jpeg

Edited by air_raid

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So, went to Rhyl yesterday, I felt right at home however as the town was absolutely awash with Man United shirts, which is quite lost on the way to Wembley. Anyhoo mid-afternoon Mrs raid got bitten by the chippy bug as often happens by the sea and I was delighted to see how close we were to Les & Rita’s Fish Bar, so headed over. To further my long standing belief that everything is cyclical, this came back around ;

On 4/23/2019 at 11:05 AM, air_raid said:

A couple of times recently I've had battered haddock for my fish choice (at my gal's request) - the thought arises, why have I been wasting my life on cod?

Not long ago we had a small disagreement ; I insist she was the first to suggest haddock instead of cod, she says it was me and that she never ordered it before me. Anyhoo, upon ordering, the staff told me it was haddock rather than cod, and I approved. WELL… this was a game changing experience. Chips had great flavour and were probably the crispest I’ve had from a chippy in memory. Fish was out of this world. Minor quibble, she salted the fish side of the carton so fish was too salted and chips not salty enough, but I’m nitpicking. Very satisfied with one portion between us for £8 odd, which was all required as we had a proper meal planned for the evening. Enjoyed in the shadow of the town hall a comfortable distance from a group of… well, at least drunkards but I’m tempted to say smackheads, while over the road a car park was cordoned off as a policeman up a ladder against a garden wall trained his gun at a bloke for infraction unknown. Broken Britain, you’re welcome to it.

Went to the dentist & hygienist today so in much discomfort, so grateful Mrs raid snuck this treat in beforehand.

IMG_0815.jpeg

IMG_0816.jpeg

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Butch2000 said:

It’s Rhyl. They were smackheads

I worked in Rhyl once, and it remains the only place I've ever been that the theatre manager was proud to tell me that both the theatre and the sports centre had bullet proof glass in the windows. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 4/21/2023 at 8:01 PM, air_raid said:

St Ives … Harbour

On 6/4/2023 at 11:05 AM, air_raid said:

haddock

So, on a “just the pair of us” hol to Cornwall we went to St Ives on Monday and smashed a haddock and chips. Both elements delicious if neither lived up to Rhyll. Hoped to post these earlier but much more stuff got in the way. Like popping the question to “Mrs raid” who now really IS going to be my Mrs, as it happens.

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0305.jpeg

IMG_0306.jpeg

• Paid Members

Sadly the chippy and proposal were not at the same time. About to go to Weston Super Mare on the way home, have been promised more chips.