Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

He liked it so he put an onion ring on it.

Well in, Raiders. Made up for you.

Christ on a bike Frankie!  Snorted in the middle of Tesco reading this!

• Paid Members
On 6/22/2023 at 7:58 PM, air_raid said:

So, on a “just the pair of us” hol to Cornwall we went to St Ives on Monday and smashed a haddock and chips. Both elements delicious if neither lived up to Rhyll. Hoped to post these earlier but much more stuff got in the way. Like popping the question to “Mrs raid” who now really IS going to be my Mrs, as it happens.

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0305.jpeg

IMG_0306.jpeg

That's awesome news.

I went to a place in Blackpool after we'd been to Arcade Club called Lily's. It was pretty good. We managed to get in there just as it was closing. They had a decent selection of fish, alongside the usual selection of pies, burgers etc. It was getting a touch late, but it wasn't too expensive (for Blackpool) and enjoyable enough. My friend's Colombian wife liked Mushy peas, but wasn't a big fan of steak & kidney pudding.

28 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

That's awesome news.

I went to a place in Blackpool after we'd been to Arcade Club called Lily's. It was pretty good. We managed to get in there just as it was closing. They had a decent selection of fish, alongside the usual selection of pies, burgers etc. It was getting a touch late, but it wasn't too expensive (for Blackpool) and enjoyable enough. My friend's Colombian wife liked Mushy peas, but wasn't a big fan of steak & kidney pudding.

Sorry for the derail everyone but how was Arcade Club ? Thinking of visiting but thought it might be rammed during Blackpool summer season.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Sorry for the derail everyone but how was Arcade Club ? Thinking of visiting but thought it might be rammed during Blackpool summer season.

It was a Thursday when we went, and term time. It was tenner in. There's one floor, but they have a decent selection of arcade games, a couple of side rooms with consoles and PCs in for gaming. There's a decent sized cafÊ and a bar. The pinball machines are downstairs by the admission desk. Bury is still very much the "daddy" arcade club, but this one is still a decent afternoon/evening out. I need to get over to the Leeds one yet. 

4 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It was a Thursday when we went, and term time. It was tenner in. There's one floor, but they have a decent selection of arcade games, a couple of side rooms with consoles and PCs in for gaming. There's a decent sized cafÊ and a bar. The pinball machines are downstairs by the admission desk. Bury is still very much the "daddy" arcade club, but this one is still a decent afternoon/evening out. I need to get over to the Leeds one yet. 

Cool sounds really good and the list of games caught my eye. I just moved to Lytham St Annes and been eyeing up a day out there as all the big arcades on the front are bollocks nowadays.

On topic the Fylde Coast is absolutely amazing for chippy's.  I've not been to a bad one yet. Even my local cheap, end of the road one is better than 90% of the ones in Liverpool.

• Paid Members

Yorkshire Fisheries is the one to visit in Blackpool. Are you in Lytham or St Anne's? I'd recommend popping to the Windmill at Lytham for a look around in the little museum inside. My mum says there's a really nice chippy there called the Lytham Kitchen? 

38 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Yorkshire Fisheries is the one to visit in Blackpool. Are you in Lytham or St Anne's? I'd recommend popping to the Windmill at Lytham for a look around in the little museum inside. My mum says there's a really nice chippy there called the Lytham Kitchen? 

I'm in St Annes behind the dunes. Blackpool is basically 2 minutes walk. The rich people in Lytham are aghast when I tell them I'm not in Blackpool, so I like to wind them up with my post code. I've been to Yorkshire Fisheries and Bentleys. The two big guns in Blackpool and both lived up to the hype. I'm so close to South Shore I pop into Harrow Side which is just behind the Pleasure Beach, that is probably the best one not far from me. 

Lytham Kitchen is not a chippy but an English restaurant. I'd imagine the fish and chips there are fantastic as I grabbed a breakfast barn from there, thinking it would just be an ok quick snack and it was probably the best I have ever eaten. They don't mess about.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members
On 6/23/2023 at 8:11 AM, air_raid said:

About to go to Weston Super Mare on the way home, have been promised more chips.

So, this was a game of two halves. Went to Papas on Friday off the strength of great TripAdvisor reviews and loads of complimentary articles, completely forgetting that we’d been there two years ago on the way back from Devon. Paid £13 for a “standard” haddock and chips, within touching distance of the price of two portions elsewhere, and again completely forgot that we’d agreed last time it was good but not worth the price - obviously getting away with it on the strength of reviews, reputation, travel from afar and the photos of celebrities within probably helps. “Good enough for the Hairy Bikers, must be doing something right!” Chips were good, fish was a little dry. Definitely not up to the Rhyl standard.

IMG_0698.thumb.jpeg.edde3a0555ac54f0385bf64f60854c48.jpeg

IMG_0703.thumb.jpeg.3a095b61a2f40267fb974b2850093203.jpeg

IMG_0704.thumb.jpeg.cde29da77570487a13140cc104017342.jpeg

Sunday went to far less heralded Number One before we left, initially looking for the “80 years of tradition” sign we’d clocked next to a reasonably priced place which turned out to be Fellas which wasn’t open yet with no times showing in person or online. Waterfront and Number One were both nearby and open so we were the first customers of the day at Number One and were able to sit upstairs (dog friendly) in their fun pirate ship themed restaurant for the same price. Paid £9.60 for a good portion of cod and chips - fresh crisp batter, and the table and condiments meant I could separate some chips for a dash of vinegar which Mrs Raid-to-be never has on hers. She said “good but not outstanding” and I agree, tasty without being memorable but for a decent price in a nice setting with great service. In a fun bit of co-branding you can present your receipt to the adjoining doughnut shack to get 6 for the price of 5, though stuffed and keen to start off home, we passed.

IMG_0784.thumb.jpeg.96c73d7a2c4df7565f04bb4cdbb8dc78.jpeg

IMG_0785.thumb.jpeg.ff75b3730200a82e9023f8fbe969aa1c.jpeg

IMG_0786.thumb.jpeg.b5ad8283461468e22f25fb848229a7a4.jpeg

IMG_0788.thumb.jpeg.b55267a1fd48dcbe89b5a0413a70ff1b.jpeg

• 1 month later...