Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I find Dave Grohl annoying. The Foo Fighters are OK I suppose (not to me, but I can sort of see the appeal) but Dave's 'aw shucks' routine really grates on me. He's so Rock and Roll he loves Obama.

Also the whole thing around him now 'Oh everyone loves Dave Grohl' is doubly irritating (though not his fault)

This is an unpopular opinion? I thought most felt this way. I hate how he tells a "funny" story as a segue to a song.

"Hey guys so listen up...so there I was the other day right, just in a fucking tesco yeah? And I'm walking around and I see some grapes and they look fucking great. So I put them in my basket but I was hungry so I ate a couple no big deal right? Just a couple fucking grapes and they were GOOOOOD <crowd cheers> YOU GUYS FUCKING ROCK! So I grab a couple other things and I'm at the self-checkout, I mean self-checkouts fucking BLOW right guys? <someone in crowd yells something sycophantic> This guy gets it! I put in the code for regular apples but these were ORGANIC. The worker comes over to me and says 'You did ring them in as organic right?' and I'm fucking sweating because of the grape eating thing right? So I turn around and say I GOT ANOTHER CONFESSION TO MAKE..."

<crowd goes wild>

• Paid Members

Thatā€™s another thing I canā€™t stand about him. Watched their Glastonbury set live on bbc a few years back. He wouldnā€™t shut the fuck up. Just sing your fucking songs. No one wants to hear your stories. Play Everlong and go away.Ā 

My mate had a spare ticket for them about a year or so after. And tbf I probably wouldā€™ve gone. But that whole Glastonbury thing put me off. I donā€™t want to stand for four hours listening to him ramble on while waiting for the few songs of theirs I do like.Ā 

• Paid Members

Damien Rice was the worst for this. Paid a fortune to see him in Edinburgh and he spent the majority of the gig mumbling in to the microphone in the densest Irish accent youā€™ve ever heard, he might as well have been speaking in tongues. Couldnā€™t even get pissed to make up for it as the pretentious twat banned alcohol from being drunk during the performance, or so he thought, we went for a fag and jumped across to the offy and stuck two bottles of wine in my mates handbag.Ā 

I absolutely love a chatty front man. I can listen to their music at home, alone and crying if I want. I've paid 80 quid for Jon Bon Jovi to tell me that he gets up every day and after a cup of coffee he takes a long, hard look at himself in the mirror. Sometime what he sees, he doesn't like. Sometimes what he sees is himself, and the disappointment just sits in him, and eats at him little by little. Day by day. Sometimes what he sees makes him lay down, take the cards that life deals him and pretend it's all over. But not him! Guitar solo.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Factotum said:

I find Dave Grohl annoying. The Foo Fighters are OK I suppose (not to me, but I can sort of see the appeal) but Dave's 'aw shucks' routine really grates on me. He's so Rock and Roll he loves Obama.

Also the whole thing around him now 'Oh everyone loves Dave Grohl' is doubly irritating (though not his fault)

100% on board with this opinion. I don't necessarily dislike him because he's clearly a decent bloke, but he's definitely irritating.Ā 

The best "in between songs" frontman I've ever seen was Bruce Dickinson.Ā 

I'm not a massive Iron Maiden fan, but he was brilliant. Rambling yes, but very funny. I'm sure every anecdote started with "Right....back in 1975"Ā 

The drummers faces that he was pulling on the big screen were amazing as well.Ā 

It might have helped that I was on mushrooms.Ā 

I do like Foo Fighters and I love Dave, but his schtick is very grating. Also the one time I saw them he played Everlong acoustically, which sucked as I wanted to scream along, not watch couples get off with each other in that rank way people do at gigs.

The thing I dislike about Dave's in-between song banter is that it's done as if it's spontaneous and off the cuff when it's in fact well rehearsed and the exact same every night.Ā 

The same goes with when he invites someone from the crowd on stage/gets his daughter to come out to sing with him. It's not a "fuck it, it's my show, I'll do what I want" when it's a pre-planned part of the setlist. People film them on their phone thinking they're capturing this one off moment then see theres tons of them on youtube from all the other nights on the tour. And every tour before that. They were doing it when I saw them 20 years ago.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, air_raid said:

as a fan of actual blackcurrants

This begs a question: where on earth do you get blackcurrants from?? I swear I've never seen them for sale anywhere. Just like with redcurrants and whitecurrants, I assume the only way you can get any is from foraging in the countryside.Ā