Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Last minute winners are not "luck".

I'm glad I'm not the only one. What a load of old shit, if anything it's an attribute to your character. United won title after title with this kind of desire in the Fergie days.

Last minute winners might not be luck but with VAR next season there’s no doubt quite a few Liverpool goals this season would’ve been chalked off. Whether they’d have still won the game who knows, they might have, but the crucial goal at Southampton for one would’ve been ruled out.

Not to mention the pathetic decision to give a free kick for Fabinhos blatant dive up here last Saturday, not saying VAR would’ve had a say in that one, but pathetic officiating like that does lead itself to luck.

Liverpool and Man City have been incredible no doubt, but they have benefited from the big club bias, whether you acknowledge it or not, it clearly exists, to gain points this season, Liverpool more so.

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

My favourite moment of all of this was the moment Danny Murphy said 'I'm starting to believe' many bin dippers did, and the club fucked it up. 

Bet you can’t wait for Wrestlemania 3.

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Anyway:

One of the highlights of the show that was (the wrestling was good too btw)

Happy with the Blues end of season form, didn't get a chance to watch the game as I was out to lunch before going the arena for the WWE show, but it sounds like we played well again even with two of our main forwards out, it's a good marker for next season and with a couple more decent signings we should be pushing for a European spot 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Doog said:

Last minute winners might not be luck but with VAR next season there’s no doubt quite a few Liverpool goals this season would’ve been chalked off.

So would goals by everyone else. There are contentious decisions every week. 

They're the second best team in the league by a pube hair. They've got the best keeper, full backs, centre half, two of the best forwards and a midfield that gets better every week. They've not won 97 points and got to a Champions League final because of referees. Still, if it makes others feel better.

I've nothing against Man City other than general dislike of anyone who wins all the time. This notion that they've "saved football" is hilarious.

Ole will turn them around. You watch 🤪.

Hopefully theyl employ big Rio as well as the dressing room enforcer. 

Even there only one truly worldclass player in the sticks is in decline. I’ll give Ole till christmas until the fans start calling for his head. 

Edited by Porkchopcash

53 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

Ole will turn them around. You watch 🤪.

Hopefully theyl employ big Rio as well as the dressing room enforcer. 

Even there only one truly worldclass player in the sticks is in decline. I’ll give Ole till christmas until the fans start calling for his head. 

Weren’t you leaving this thread about 4 pages ago? 

Massive summer coming up in Scotland. I know the league takes a bit of a bashing on here but next season is likely to be the first for a long time where Rangers will be considered to be only marginally less likely to win the title than Celtic.

We (Celtic) were so bad yesterday that it's hard to get a measure of whether Rangers were really any better than they have been. One point I would argue is that when Rangers played as badly as that we took 4 and 5 goals off them regularly. I'd genuinely be disappointed it was only 2 yesterday if I was them.

Our players looked knackered physically and mentally but are still on the verge of a 9th domestic trophy in a row. The problems we have now can be traced directly back to a couple of things. First is the poor recruitment last summer and the  losing Dembele on deadline day. Secondly is the whole issue with Rodgers. This goes beyond him leaving mid-season according to many reports with a lot being said that Celtic stopped backing any further spending as he was considering moving to China last pre season. As a result we've ended up with a squad that's had one fit centre forward for most if the season and relied in inadequate loan signings to limp over the line, thanks mainly to defensive capabilities. 

We need as a minimum a goalkeeper, right back, cover at left back, a centre back, a striker and a winger. No idea where we'll get them from without serious investment, which goes against the current (very successful) business model.

Manager situation is also a mess. Lennon was the ideal stop gap but absolutely not the answer to take us forward. Daft names like Benitez and Mourinho being banded about when in so likelihood we'll end up with someone like Moyes.

TL:DR - Celtic are a mess and I've no idea how they'll fix it to stay ahead of Rangers. 

• Paid Members

Looks a really pivotal decision for Brighton. I can see the argument for binning Hughton. They're a fucking dull side to watch and it's not got results of late. For all the money they've spent, they seem to have the same players they always had playing every week. Brighton will look at how clubs like Watford and Leicester pushed on by not accepting mediocrity and want some of that.

On the other hand, he's done a great job to get them from where they were to promotion and then to the point where barely staying up is seen as a disappointment. Clubs like Southampton, Charlton and Ipswich have binned managers chasing "the next step" and gone backwards. The next appointment will be key. Be interesting to see whether they go for something different or a merry-go-round.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Charlton

First thing that came to mind. Binned a manager keeping them up and immediately got relegated. West Brom binned someone while in the top half and were never the same again. Certain sackings reek of "Where do you THINK you should be finishing??" There's ambition and then there's naivety.

13 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Last minute winners are not "luck". Apart from the Pickford one. The rest is idiocy.

To be fair I never said last minute winners were luck, just that some of Liverpools last minute winners were this season , Pickford's gift, the Spurs mistake/own goal, Mahrez blasting the Pen miles over the bar in the last minute and some dubious decisions which VAR may pick up next season in similar circumstances.

My point was that next season they may not be fortunate to have that go in their favour so will be difficult to achieve the same points.