Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

How's it a bottle job? It's not like they were riding high then tailed off with shit form. You said yourself they've lost one league game all season.

Seven draws all season, the late one against Arsenal and bottling it with 4 draws in 6 games when they had a chance to take a clear lead. 

Bottle job may be the wrong word but they should have won the league. Whatever anyone says, they lacked a killer instinct at a time they needed it and its been City's to lose for months. 

Drawing near a fifth of your games just isn't good enough to win the league, no matter how good they played in the other games. 

• Paid Members

Thank fuck for that. Hilarious hearing some Liverpool fans go on about how they care more about being entertained than trophies.. don't really mention Istanbul much do they?

Quite funny how the title was sorted on page 197 and 198 on this thread.

They finished on 97 points. I think drawing nearly a fifth of your games is good enough to win the league. Just not against a team that have broken the record for most points in a season and second most points in a season.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

They finished on 97 points. I think drawing nearly a fifth of your games is good enough to win the league. Just not against a team that have broken the record for most points in a season and second most points in a season.

Perhaps you're right and I'm just grumpy from already having to sit in a pub hearing people saying that they were the best team in the league and they care more about entertaining football. 

My entire family are Liverpool fans, I've always stuck to just supporting Hereford so it's not even a Manchester bias or whatever but after ten minutes of "we deserved the title more, they lost more games than us" it just seems to make sense to point out that if you can't close out the games you don't lose, it means shit all in the scheme and was a bit of a bottle job. 

Edited by Shy Dad

3 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Seven draws all season, the late one against Arsenal and bottling it with 4 draws in 6 games when they had a chance to take a clear lead. 

Bottle job may be the wrong word but they should have won the league. Whatever anyone says, they lacked a killer instinct at a time they needed it and its been City's to lose for months. 

Drawing near a fifth of your games just isn't good enough to win the league, no matter how good they played in the other games. 

They did have a clear lead, they were 10 points clear of City at one point, even after City won their game in hand they were 7 points clear.

I absolutely hate the overuse and misuse of "bottled it" by football fans but  Liverpool not winning the league from that position when it was well within their own hands comes close.

• Paid Members

It's impressive in the respect of City losing more games than Liverpool, but still managing to win the league and still potentially being on for a domestic treble. Also this isn't the "closest season ever"  because I seem to recall City beating United to the league title on goal difference.in 2012 and Fergie going  out and signing Van Persie almost immediately afterwards to try and remedy that mistake. Whereas people were salutng Klopp's abilityto grind out draws from matches Liverpool would have previously lost, City knew that they had to win asmany games as possible. Tottenham will have nothing to lose in the Champions' League final and it has potential to be quite the game.

Oh well. Can't be anything but proud of the players after a season like that. No shame in "bottling it" to the best team this league has ever seen. 97 points without winning the league is beyond absurd.

Only concern now is maintaining the foundation we've built up. I'm sure we'll be fine over the upcoming transfer window, but if the same happens next year, and we run City to the wire again only to come up short, do the likes of Salah and Van Dijk have their heads turned by the prospect of winning the league in Spain or France with 80 points? 

Looking forward to Madrid now.

• Paid Members

Proud of the players.. good lord. Liverpool spent more than anyone in the summer! They were 10 clear at one point.. 7 clear with the same games played. It's not bottling as they were still hanging in it.. but they've definitely blown it.

The blew it when they couldn't beat a shit United team with several key injuries.

29 minutes ago, Murtz said:

Thank fuck for that. Hilarious hearing some Liverpool fans go on about how they care more about being entertained than trophies.. don't really mention Istanbul much do they?

Quite funny how the title was sorted on page 197 and 198 on this thread.

You've fallen hard on the sour grapes side of the bantz fence, there. Do a few jokes, for fuck sake. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Gay as FOOK said:

You've fallen hard on the sour grapes side of the bantz fence, there. Do a few jokes, for fuck sake. 

Murtz has been a sour grapes United fan even when we were good.

14 minutes ago, Murtz said:

Proud of the players.. good lord. Liverpool spent more than anyone in the summer! They were 10 clear at one point.. 7 clear with the same games played. It's not bottling as they were still hanging in it.. but they've definitely blown it.

The blew it when they couldn't beat a shit United team with several key injuries.

97 points. Best ever points tally for our club. Third highest ever. One defeat all season. Champions League finalists for the second year on the bounce.

I'd hate to have your expectations, fucking hellfire.

We didn't win the league because City were far too good, and far too consistent. I'm not going to bother splitting hairs about dropping points at West Ham or conceding sloppy goals against Leicester because it's pointless. They dropped 3 points over the course of the second half of the season. 99 times out of 100 that's form which makes them simply unattainable to catch up with. Simple as.

Edited by AdamTH17