Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

To be fair I never said last minute winners were luck, just that some of Liverpools last minute winners were this season , Pickford's gift, the Spurs mistake/own goal, Mahrez blasting the Pen miles over the bar in the last minute and some dubious decisions which VAR may pick up next season in similar circumstances.

My point was that next season they may not be fortunate to have that go in their favour so will be difficult to achieve the same points. 

It's not fortune, it's football. You put pressure on a team for 90 minutes and these things happen. Man United weren't fortunate to score goals in Fergie time for years and years. Man City weren't fortunate to score twice in stoppage time to win a league title. It's all ifs and maybes which is why we love it. If Iheanacho had scored last Monday, if John Stones had been 1cm further over the goal line, etc, we'd be talking differently.

VAR will change the game but it won't change it for/against any particular team. As I said above, there are arguable decisions in most games every weekend. Fans cry that big teams get decisions or this team gets decisions but it's pretty much nonsense. Mistakes happen all over. Big teams spend 2/3 of the game in the oppos half so they're often more costly mistakes but that won't change. VAR might well mean more decisions for big teams. More handballs and penalties fo pulling and pushing will favour big teams because they're doing most of the attacking.

Neither team should get the same points next season. This one was a massive anomoly and that gap at the top should embarrass a few. I don't expect either to drop off though, they look far and away the best placed to challenge again.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Brighton haven’t won a league game since the beginning of March, although I was surprised by the sacking I’d say it’s deserved.

Naked fact without context. In their last five games they had a creditable draw at Molineux, were unlucky to concede a late winner at Spurs, and got an excellent draw away to Arsenal where on another day they could have won. The draws accrued in the last two months of the season turned out to be enough to keep them up.

The timing is what makes it. If their winless run had been near to Christmas then maybe action would have justified.in order to try and arrest the apparent slump to avoid the drop, but right now the team stayed up and he'd have had a summer to put some work in to improve. Finishing 17th and ensuring another season in the Prem surely should be "objectives met" after 38 games if you're the size of Brighton with their resources - now they've got to look for a manager with the ambition to take on that task. Good luck to them.

Edited by air_raid

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Naked fact without context. 

They also lost 1-0, 2-0 and 5-0 at home to Southampton, Cardiff and Bournemouth respectively.

Looks like Swansea manager Graham Potter is heavy favourite to take over.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Naked fact without context. In their last five games they had a creditable draw at Molineux, were unlucky to concede a late winner at Spurs, and got an excellent draw away to Arsenal where on another day they could have won. The draws accrued in the last two months of the season turned out to be enough to keep them up.

The timing is what makes it. If their winless run had been near to Christmas then maybe action would have justified.in order to try and arrest the apparent slump to avoid the drop, but right now the team stayed up and he'd have had a summer to put some work in to improve. Finishing 17th and ensuring another season in the Prem surely should be "objectives met" after 38 games if you're the size of Brighton with their resources - now they've got to look for a manager with the ambition to take on that task. Good luck to them.

Allardyce. No, I kid. I'd imagine they'll try and lure Dyche away from Burnley, but he'd be a fool to leave them. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love if Dyche left Burnley because they'd be fooked and it'd be hilarious, but realistically he's done great things with that team, would probably be able to do the same at Brighton, but I doubt their owners would be as patient with him as the Dingles are. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

I applaud Brighton for wanting a bit more. I know it's Brighton and the consensus is they should be grateful for what they have but on the other hand, fuck that shit. Football is about competing and if they want to do that at a higher level with greater expectations, then let them. Obviously it'll go to shit and they'll be relegated but fair fucks for wanting a bit more.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'd imagine they'll try and lure Dyche away from Burnley, but he'd be a fool to leave them.

I don't see it. I think part of the reason behind the sacking is to start moving in a different direction in terms of football (otherwise, why bother sacking Hughton) and Dyche would be the last person to go to for that. What could Dyche achieve with that Brighton team? The football would be almost the same and perhaps he could lift them a couple of places in the league table, if that. Brighton and Burnley are both awful to watch.

They actually have some half decent technical players there, so I reckon they might look abroad. Is there a homegrown manager that opts for technical ability and is ready to make the jump up to the PL? I can't think of any, but then again I'm no expert on Championship managers either. Somebody like an Eddie Howe.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think Leicester have changed the outlook for the traditionally smaller  top flight club owners. If they can do it then so can we kind of thing. 

It’s made a lot of small team owners think way above their station. For as fantastic as it was for Leicester, it’s a big influence on the culture now of teams sacking managers for being exactly where they should be.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I don't see it. I think part of the reason behind the sacking is to start moving in a different direction in terms of football (otherwise, why bother sacking Hughton) and Dyche would be the last person to go to for that. What could Dyche achieve with that Brighton team? The football would be almost the same and perhaps he could lift them a couple of places in the league table, if that. Brighton and Burnley are both awful to watch.

They actually have some half decent technical players there, so I reckon they might look abroad. Is there a homegrown manager that opts for technical ability and is ready to make the jump up to the PL? I can't think of any, but then again I'm no expert on Championship managers either. Somebody like an Eddie Howe.

Favourite is Graham Potter. That would please me, not many Premier League managers I can say I've worked with!

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Favourite is Graham Potter. That would please me, not many Premier League managers I can say I've worked with!

Ah yes, he was the guy that did really well with Ostersund isn't he? Very much a possession-based coach right? Good!

Where did you work with him?

@jazzygeofferzyes, that's the kind of homegrown manager I'm thinking of (not him obviously, he'd be insane to leave Bournemouth for them) that Brighton might want to go for if they don't opt for somebody from the continent.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Ah yes, he was the guy that did really well with Ostersund isn't he? Very much a possession-based coach right? Good!

Where did you work with him?

Did some sessions with him when he was at Hull Uni and he worked with my boys' team. At the time I was just chuffed to be working with someone who played left back for York!

36 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

It’s made a lot of small team owners think way above their station. For as fantastic as it was for Leicester, it’s a big influence on the culture now of teams sacking managers for being exactly where they should be.

It was similar when wages started to spiral, bang average strikers started wanting 20k a week because someone better at their club was on it.

• Paid Members

I remember a documentary years ago about the wives off footballers. It was around 1997, and Jason Lee's wife was shitting himself because she might have to start working at Kwick Save again, if Forest dont give him another contract. There's 16 year olds who might not ever play a professional game driving around in Batmobiles, and poor Jason didnt even have Sky in.