Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, AdamTH17 said:

99 times out of 100 that's form which makes them simply unattainable to catch up with. Simple as.

Problem is Liverpool shouldn't have been 'catching up'. 

Liverpool were ahead and, simply put, blew it. 

My favourite moment of all of this was the moment Danny Murphy said 'I'm starting to believe' many bin dippers did, and the club fucked it up. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

I'm not going to bother splitting hairs about dropping points at West Ham or conceding sloppy goals against Leicester because it's pointless.

Actually it was 4 points there... 

It's just quite insane to think if they had managed to beat City or stop them beating them they'd be champions right now. 

5 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Actually it was 4 points there... 

It's just quite insane to think if they had managed to beat City or stop them beating them they'd be champions right now. 

It was just an example of points dropped.

And you're right - having the ball not go in their net by about 14mm or whatever tiny amount it was is just one of those things that makes you shrug and think "just not our year, lads". 

Genuinely can't be too disheartened. I never expected us to win the league but to challenge City to the extent we have is a remarkable testament to how far we've come in the past 3/4 seasons. Onward and upwards.

• Paid Members

This might have been the Mourihno/Madrid season for Liverpool. When they stopped Barca by having to set a one off standard previously unseen. They're going to have to go some to reach this standard again, and I dont see them getting close to them next year. But they've got the CL final in a few weeks, so its hardly time to get the crying towels out. Winning the Champions League will always be City's goal.

Liverpool had a lot of luck this season as well, last minute against Everton, last minute against Spurs, last minute against Newcastle, City missing that pen in the last minute. I know you make your own luck and that's taking nothing away from them but that's 9-12 points right there they might not pick up next season.

Plus of course VAR. 

• Paid Members

Not that anyone gives a shit today, but I don't really know what to make of Chelsea this year. We've finished as the least bad other team in the league, made it to one cup final and are into the WCW Thunder final too.

At no point this season has it felt like we have played well, we've been heavily reliant on a player who is leaving, I'm not convinced by the manager at all and I've seen arguably the worst single game performance since Chelsea were founded in 2003 against Man City. Playing expensively and losing 5-0 goes completely against our proud history of spending tens of millions and delivering unwatchable football.

I imagine we'll probably fanny about at the court of arbitration long enough to have the next window, but it feels like we are likely to get worse next year rather than better.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Liverpool had a lot of luck this season as well, last minute against Everton, last minute against Spurs, last minute against Newcastle, City missing that pen in the last minute. I know you make your own luck and that's taking nothing away from them but that's 9-12 points right there they might not pick up next season.

Don't forget playing for a draw against United at Old Trafford when half our players got substituted or were playing on one leg. Very costly!

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

@Gus Mears Will Sarri stay? Surely third is as good as he could’ve achieved this year.

Yeah, can't see how he won't be. He's achieved his minimum expectations for sure.

I'm not at all convinced though. I don't think he's good enough a coach or flexible enough to make the current players properly fit a version of his system, our recruitment policy hasn't been much cop for a while so I don't think we can easily spend our way out of it and we basically need a new front 3, a CB, and two fullbacks unless we start to actively play loan guys which is unlikely.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

To be fair, Sarri seems to be the hardest word*

*I'd like to thank the writers of Carbombs posts for that joke.

*sounds of hammering on invisible downvote button intensify*