Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

I understand the Leeds hate, to a degree, but rejoicing over Tory Frank Lampard's Derby County possibly sealing promotion ahead of them? 

Please. 

Leeds have been great this season and really should have secured automatic promotion with games to spare. Quite the bottle job. 

• Paid Members

Nobody in their right mind wants Leeds back up besides the same kind of 'neutrals' who wanted Liverpool to win the league, i.e people who don't watch football.

England's Brave John Terry's Aston Villa vs Young British Manager Frank Lampard's Derby County is the play-off final you can set your watch to.

Edited by Gus Mears

20 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Nobody in their right mind wants Leeds back up besides the same kind of 'neutrals' who wanted Liverpool to win the league, i.e people who don't watch football.

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing Leeds up again, and I watch my fair share of football.

Give me a club like Leeds who generate strong reactions from other fans over what I'd term "nothing" clubs like Cardiff, Brighton or Huddersfield.

But then again, I'm part of that generation who collected Panini stickers in the 80's and can remember the rush of getting a "shiny" that belonged to one of the big clubs, and at the time that included Leeds. You either supported Leeds, or you fucking hated them. Very few people were ambivalent towards them.

I'd love nothing better than seeing clubs such as Leeds, Forest, Villa or QPR back in the top flight. Fuck, I'd love to see Millwall back up for the same reason as Leeds, it's a fixture that opposing fans would take notice of on the schedule.

You could go even further and throw the likes of Coventry, Charlton and Wimbledon into that mix as well, the type of clubs that I'd like to see flit between the Championship and the Premiership. 

Honestly, what would fans of clubs like Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea rather have? Away days against Cardiff, Brighton, Huddersfield, Swansea etc? Or Millwall, Leeds, Forest and Wimbledon?

• Paid Members

As a 90s child with no club bias either way, I would like Leeds and Forest back in the Prem. Leeds were the first team I watched win a title as it happened and Forest are a special club.

Being from Birmingham however it's hilarious to see my Villa mates struggling with being a Championship side so I'd happily take a few more years of that.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, David said:

I've been on that list for a while to be fair, so any cunt keeping score just just underline my name instead.

I nearly said that but I'm not that harsh.

The glorious thing about football is that you normally get what you deserve. Villa, Leeds, Forest, Wednesday, etc all think they should be top flight teams because they have twice as many (fair weather) fans as others and they've won stuff in another lifetime. Amazingly, plenty of people agree. Earning it is a different matter. The fact that three of those four have been in League One since they were last in the Premier League just hammers that home.

There are clubs I wouldn't mind seeing fuck off out of the premier League because they're interminably dull. Brighton are the only one who survived sadly. Not bothered who replaces them. Would prefer it to be a club like Brentford than any supposedly big club though. No pretentions at Brentford. Just a clever model and a lot of hard graft.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, David said:

Give me a club like Leeds who generate strong reactions from other fans over what I'd term "nothing" clubs like Cardiff, Brighton or Huddersfield.

But then again, I'm part of that generation who collected Panini stickers in the 80's and can remember the rush of getting a "shiny" that belonged to one of the big clubs, and at the time that included Leeds. You either supported Leeds, or you fucking hated them. Very few people were ambivalent towards them.

I'm part of that generation as well David, and you are right, you either love Leeds or hate them. I absolutely fucking hate them and don't want them in the Premier League. I don't want them in the Football League either. If they could go out of business and end up playing in the 8th or 9th tier of the pyramid that would be fantastic. I'd love to see them marching on together to places like Market Drayton Town, Runcorn Linnets, and Ramsbottom United, and I would want to see them lose there as well. 

So in conclusion, even though it's FLDC v JTAV it's infinitely better than Leeds. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Being from Birmingham however it's hilarious to see my Villa mates struggling with being a Championship side so I'd happily take a few more years of that.

How are your Villa supporting mates doing with the denial of the financial fuckery they've got themselves into. 

The denial runs deep with one of my best muckers, he was absolutely lambasting City fans and their FFP points deduction this season, when explained to him if Villa stay in the Championship they'll get the same treatment next season he couldn't get his head around it. 

Villa hit the FFP limit in two years rather than the three for Christ's sake. 

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Paid Members

My Villa mates mostly bang on about the recovery on the pitch and have their heads firmly in the sand about their impending doom.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Maybe Villa should have just signed a load of £20m players on loan to work around it 😉

As well as not spending THIRTEEN million on Ross McCormack!

58 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

The glorious thing about football is that you normally get what you deserve. Villa, Leeds, Forest, Wednesday, etc all think they should be top flight teams because they have twice as many (fair weather) fans as others and they've won stuff in another lifetime. Amazingly, plenty of people agree. Earning it is a different matter. The fact that three of those four have been in League One since they were last in the Premier League just hammers that home.

There is an element of earning it for sure, but there's also a shitload of luck involved. There were clubs who were on the right side of the divide at the time (in or around the premier league) when the truly big money started to play a part, and those on the wrong side have inevitably found it really difficult to compete. Chuck in the imploding ITV Digital carry-on during the early 2000's that left a lot of clubs in the 1st division up shit creek and there was always going to be problems.

I don't really believe that it's a coincidence that these big clubs just all happen to suddenly not be worthy of a place at the top table due to their inability to earn it. The money that found its way into the Premier League has played a part, and those who happened to be in the Prem at the time to take advantage of it have benefited, while other clubs haven't.

In a race to make it to the top table a lot of them have gambled money that they didn't have, hoping they make it to the promised land and can recoup their debt many times over, and if they happen to not be among the three clubs who make it within a couple of years the income versus the expenditure destroys them financially.

58 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

There are clubs I wouldn't mind seeing fuck off out of the premier League because they're interminably dull. Brighton are the only one who survived sadly. Not bothered who replaces them. Would prefer it to be a club like Brentford than any supposedly big club though. No pretentions at Brentford. Just a clever model and a lot of hard graft.

As a somewhat neutral observer I like seeing the big games between the clubs with a history and maybe a rivalry, and watching Chelsea or Liverpool play Brentford means fuck all to me. Throw Leeds United, Forest, or even another club that grabs the eye like Millwall in there though and I'll tune in.

57 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I'm part of that generation as well David, and you are right, you either love Leeds or hate them. I absolutely fucking hate them and don't want them in the Premier League. I don't want them in the Football League either. If they could go out of business and end up playing in the 8th or 9th tier of the pyramid that would be fantastic. I'd love to see them marching on together to places like Market Drayton Town, Runcorn Linnets, and Ramsbottom United, and I would want to see them lose there as well. 

See, I've never understood that line of thinking.

I remember seeing Celtic fans dancing with glee when Rangers were demoted to the bottom tier of Scottish football, only for the years where they weren't in the top flight being among the most boring in Celtic's history. I think their crowds dwindled as well, and despite their fans claiming outwardly that they didn't miss Rangers, and that playing Partick fucking Thistle was the new Glasgow derby match, it was obvious that they missed that hatred and rivalry. When Rangers finally came back there was a needle and interest that wasn't there previously.

Surely if you hate a club you want to see your own club play them, and beat them? Isn't that what it's all about? Or does the fear of losing to them, and maybe them gaining a foothold in the division bother you that much that you'd rather forego the excitement and joy of watching your own side give them a hiding?