Movie Trailer Thread

bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

It's just a trailer. Pointless writing it off as a piece. Although, yes, you hope the CGI on their old scraggy faces is still getting worked on because it's not particularly convincing in that video.

Out of all this years releases, it's definitely in the top 5 of my most anticipated.

• Paid Members

I haven't watched the trailer and I'm not going to as I don't really care about the film or Scorsese, but I'll be quite surprised if it isn't very bad indeed. Nothing in the careers of any of the main figures involved in this for about 15 years has suggested it will be worth more than me sticking it on during the day when I'm working. Like with everything though, nobody should be judging from a trailer.

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I don't really care about... Scorsese, but I'll be quite surprised if it isn't very bad indeed. Nothing in the careers of any of the main figures involved in this for about 15 years has suggested it will be worth more than me sticking it on during the day when I'm working. 

I'd never have picked you as someone who DIDN'T like Scorsese, blimey.  Even if he's not the force he once was, Wolf Of Wall Street was a cracking film, and I thought Shutter Island was quite overlooked as well.

I'm torn on this one.  Essentially The Irishman looks right up my street, as I am a big fan of both the director and most of the cast.  However, this de-ageing thing... I think it's gone too far now.  Just cast one of the many, many fantastic younger actors around and stick some talc in their hair for the older scenes.

You think it was odd seeing Peter Cushing in the recent Star Wars film, imagine what it'll be like in a decade's time when we're getting new John Wayne movies, and Samuel Jackson is dead but still in every Marvel film.  This way madness lies.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Loki said:

I'd never have picked you as someone who DIDN'T like Scorsese, blimey.  Even if he's not the force he once was, Wolf Of Wall Street was a cracking film, and I thought Shutter Island was quite overlooked as well.

I never said I didn't like him. He's just doesn't excite me as a director these days, maybe he would have done if I was much older and was around for his early work. I think After Hours and The King of Comedy are both great films, maybe The Color of Money too, but his early work is more interesting. More recently though, The Wolf of Wall Street was crap and Shutter Island was convoluted nonsense. I've only really liked The Departed out of his more modern work.

• Paid Members

To be fair to the de-aging thing I thought Sam Jackson looked great in Captain Marvel but then they will have thrown all the money under the sun at it.

I watched the trailer earlier of The Irishman and it looks meh. It might be worth a watch but holy shit they need to put more money into the CG. If Captain Marvel is the current gold standard then this won't even win Bronze. Anybody that has had to put up with a rant from me on CG knows that I can not abide the uncanny valley.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, DEF said:

To be fair to the de-aging thing I thought Sam Jackson looked great in Captain Marvel but then they will have thrown all the money under the sun at it.

I watched the trailer earlier of The Irishman and it looks meh. It might be worth a watch but holy shit they need to put more money into the CG. If Captain Marvel is the current gold standard then this won't even win Bronze. Anybody that has had to put up with a rant from me on CG knows that I can not abide the uncanny valley.

That was kind of the point I was making. Look at Jeff Bridges at the beginning of Tron Legacy (his version in the game is less distracting to me, though still not great) and compare that to what they did with Downey Jr in Civil War or, as you said, Sam Jackson in Captain Marvel to see how far that tech has come. Infact, the new Will Smith film uses the exact same kind of tech and looks pretty good. But this, this looked fucking woeful.

Also, for modern day Scorsese, no love for Hugo? I thought that was a sweet film

• 2 weeks later...