Movie Trailer Thread

bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I presume Gangster's Paradise is in the trailer to try and evoke some kind of 90s peak Sonic zeitgeist, but without using some actual Sonic music so everybody recognised it and not just Sonic fans. 

The redesign of Sonic (who looks awful in the current posters, trailers etc) is to appease I assume a fair few people who saw the trailer and said "I refuse to see that garbage." whereas when people saw the Last Jedi trailer they'll have milmed their pants. There's a difference between "this trailer doesn't look right, I dont want to see this movie" and "those damned SJWs ruined my space opera" after sitting through the whole movie, to pick an example of some of the criticisms levelled at Last Jedi. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

It looks like Jim Carrey is at an all you can chew scenery banquet in the trailer. I reckon it's either going to be a decent movie, or a so-bad it's entertaining movie. 

• Paid Members

Hopefully after the success of The Meg we're going to see more B pic monster movies being made. Aja normally makes enjoyable stuff so it should be good. Scodders looks a fair shout for scream queen duties too.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

On the classic trailer front, I love the one for The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, which manages to be even more seventies than the movie it's trailing, probably due to the voiceover.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It looks like Jim Carrey is at an all you can chew scenery banquet in the trailer. I reckon it's either going to be a decent movie, or a so-bad it's entertaining movie. 

Big fan of Jim Carrey's Riddler performance in Batman Forever, so I'm all ready hooked in to watch his take on Dr Robotnic.

58 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don't get a "kids film as an argument". There are some amazing kids films. That doesn't give it a pass for any movie aimed at kids to be any old shit.

Think the point is that most kids will not give much of a shit that Sonic is slightly not designed right. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Think the point is that most kids will not give much of a shit that Sonic is slightly not designed right. 

IF thats the point then I can understand it. But surely this is supposed to entice kids and adults to want to watch. Sonic isn't THAT popular with kids compared to other video game characters, so the obvious choice would be for a more classic look. I mean, he's hardly changed look in almost 30 years, through video games and cartoons. Why the drastic departure now? Be interesting to see how the revised version fares.

Personally, I don't care that much. Used to like the games, think the film looks all over the place tonally. And the fact that last shot shows Carrey as classic Robotnik/Eggman shows they know the style of the characters so it just seems odd. Anyway, let's see what happens

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

58 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Big fan of Jim Carrey's Riddler performance in Batman Forever, so I'm all ready hooked in to watch his take on Dr Robotnic.

Chewing the scenery was what brought Carrey to the dance in the first place - it's his bread-and-butter, so to speak. There aren't many people who do "gurning maniac" better than him (not outside Ministry of Sound at least), so I'm looking forward to that side of it at least.

It'd be mad to expect a cinematic masterpiece from a video game tie-in, but they clearly haven't even tried to do anything except churn out a DVD bin filler with yesterday's CGI. Compare this to the Detective Pikachu trailer, where it looks like they've actually tried to render the creatures. Sonic is clearly just a bloke in a mo-cap suit - they've haven't bothered reproportioning him, so we're left with a tiny man with a bloated head and creepy long furry paedo fingers. I bet that shot of properly Robotnikised Carrey only appears in the final reel so we have to put up with a villain origin story as part one of the Sonicverse or something.

Sigh. And I really like Marsden too.