#EATCLEAN

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Can personally recommend anything and everything from Pepe's on Wilmslow Road.

Good stuff as there is one on Bury Old Road which is near the new domicile.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone else have serious fixations on condiments as opposed to food itself?

Have had a really difficult time getting good garlic sauce since Heinz changed their old recipe to “Turkish style” which I believe is yoghurt rather than mayo based and really not for my palate. Briefly in B&M I found bottles of the old recipe in imported bottles called Knoblauch (don’t laugh) but that’s gone dry so now the only source of original recipe is the small packets you can get at Asda hot counters. So far my quest for a replacement has lead me to Hellman’s Garlic and Herb as the front runner. I also bought one of Crucials which I like for Donner meat as somehow I’m convinced it’s minty even though the only named herb on the ingredients is parsley, but it wouldn’t go near pizza which is what I liked Heinz for. Papa John’s garlic and herb is pretty decent but I need something for when we make our own pizza. Of course, it’s not to be confused with “Special Garlic” which is butter based and smells like feet. It’s nasty.

Speaking of Crucials, their Spicy Mayo is king for the cheap version of Nando’s perinaise. We bought Hellman’s chilli and garlic (anything Hellman’s, often cheap in Lidl is worth a go) which is delicious but not the same flavour.

My other quest is to find cheaper good quality bbq sauces of varying types and a jerk sauce, I love Reggae Reggae and the sauces of Bulls Eye and Reds but only buy them in Asda when £1.50, never more. Also love Sweet Baby Rays but that’s not cheap either. So I picked up the Batts sauces as Lidl never usually steer me wrong. A Tennessee (whisky flavour), a Sticky BBQ (thinking it might replace a standard bbq), a Kansas (with chipotle) and a jerk. The Tennessee delivered what I expected however the Sticky was tasty but way too spicy for a normal bbq sauce (cayenne), the Kansas tasted more like Reggae Reggae than the jerk, and the jerk tasted rather like spicy cola. None unpleasant but neither what I expected.

As an aside also tried Batts medium peri peri.... medium my arse, it’s volcanic. I can handle it but if you ordered medium in Nando’s and received that, you’d send it back.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Of course, it’s not to be confused with “Special Garlic” which is butter based and smells like feet. It’s nasty.

This stuff is so fucking rank, I don't know how Papa John gets away with it. Dominos garlic sauce is much better. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 10/15/2020 at 12:30 PM, air_raid said:

(lengthy nonsense about bbq/Peri Peri sauces)

I decided to make a huge pan of chilli style chicken and used this as an opportunity to use up some of the excesses of sauce from the fridge, and I turned out really well.

I sat two chicken legs on a bed of sliced onions and peppers, four cloves of garlic and a tin of mixed beans then drizzled them with a 50/50 of the Batts Peri Peri and Linghams chilli sauce (absolutely magical stuff). In the oven for an hour.

Made a cheats sauce with a big Makro tin of double concentrate passata, a little fried garlic and a lot of my chilli staples - equal parts garlic powder, mild chilli powder, oregano, cumin and sweet smoked paprika. A shake of Worcester sauce, some chipotle powder, a small amount of cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg, a spoon of French whole grain mustard, lots of salt and pepper and three bay leaves. At birds suggestion I put in a beef AND a chicken stock cube. Then the sauces ; I used the last of the Batts “Sticky,” the Batts jerk, Bulls Eye red hot chilli, Bulls Eye smoky chipotle, and little of the Batts Tennessee. I used a generous portion of the Heinz sweet bbq as we don’t like it as much as Classic but I thought it would help, some of my Sweet Baby Rays honey bbq, a squirt of Heinz Mustard bbq and finally a squeeze of lemon juice. Pulled the chicken from the bone and added it and the veg/cooking juices to the pan, then had the first bowl stirred through some fusili with a little chopped coriander on top.

So the total chilli involved apart from generic powder was ; red chilli, green chilli, Birds Eye, cayenne, Chipotle. Involving bbq sauces with molasses, honey, whiskey, mustard, orange juice, raisin extract and all manner of sweet, spicy or sharp flavours.

By tea yesterday and my third helping, I mixed it up in the reheat with more of the Tennessee, more Heinz sweet bbq, and just because I have it, some Morrison’s habanero sauce. In case it wasn’t warming enough.

Still to finish the Bulls Eye Memphis style and break in the Jack Daniels.

The Rib Man's Holy Fuck hot sauce is my favourite condiments at the minute. I've just finished a big bottle of Nando's Hot, so the Holy Fuck has taken over as my chip dipping sauce of choice. I used a teaspoon of it while frying some chicken when making fajitas the other week instead of fajita seasoning and we had to go stand outside as the spice in the air was getting too much. It tasted good, but never again in cooking. It was like tear gas. Highly recommended though as long as you like it spicy. It'll put hairs on your chest. He does a bacon Holy Fuck too which I really want to try but he doesn't do it very often and it sells out very quick when he does.

https://theribman.co.uk/collections/sauces/products/holy-fuck

The chipotle Cholula is what I'm using on burritos and wraps which is lovely but I still have a soft spot for the regular Cholula. It's pretty easy going, but really tasty.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...