Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

Just now, Dead Mike said:

Samuel L Jackson is 71. Fucking hell!

Talking of ages I've started to watch the Derry Girls repeats on E4 for the first time.  I recognised the guy who plays James as being in Hollyoaks about a decade ago, so knew he had to be pushing thirty playing this school kld, however on reading more about the show online I was then shocked to discover that the girls playing Michelle and Clare are both 33 in real life.

• Awards Moderator
18 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Dominic Holland (the comedian) is Tom Holland's (the Spider-man) dad.

He even wrote a book about it! Which he then turned into a stand up show. A fine line between pride and envy that his son ended up more famous by the time he hit puberty than dad did in 20 years of working. 

Saw the show at the Fringe a few years ago; he did very well on the post-show bucket from what I saw. He came and saw a bit of our show as well with his younger sons and put £20 in our bucket which was very kind. I also walked past Tom Holland on Victoria Street in Edinburgh that year (turned out he’d taken a few days off filming Chaos Walking to come and see his dad’s show) but by the time my brain realised that was Spider-Man I just walked past, he’d gone. My closest encounter with an Avenger!

15 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

TIL that plasters have an expiry date

They do. One of the worst jobs in a supermarket is date code checking, and the worst aisle to check is the health and beauty one as you never find anything out of date (a good thing obviously).

Apart from the two year out of date baby formula I found at my old job, but I won't out them.

Rhymes with Maitrose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

TIL: In most countries that change their clocks twice a year, once forward & once back known as "Summer time" or "Daylight Savings Time", the official "standard" time is normally that in the winter months with the Summer Time period (almost always one hour ahead of official time) being a period of temporary deviation from the standard time. However, it's the reverse in the Republic of Ireland - by statute, the standard time of the state is regarded as one hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time throughout the year, with the temporary deviation being GMT in the winter months. So IST is "Irish Standard Time" and not Irish Summer Time, with GMT used for the time in the winter period - but for all practical official purposes the time at any given moment presently is identical to that of the UK.

Also, the Northern Irish Assembly is the only devolved legislature within the UK that has the power to change the time zone of its jurisdiction should it wish to do so. For Scotland and Wales it is regarded as a Reserve Matter, so only Westminster can legislate for time zone changes in those two countries.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, PJ Power said:

TIL: In most countries that change their clocks twice a year, once forward & once back known as "Summer time" or "Daylight Savings Time", the official "standard" time is normally that in the winter months with the Summer Time period (almost always one hour ahead of official time) being a period of temporary deviation from the standard time. However, it's the reverse in the Republic of Ireland - by statute, the standard time of the state is regarded as one hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time throughout the year, with the temporary deviation being GMT in the winter months. So IST is "Irish Standard Time" and not Irish Summer Time, with GMT used for the time in the winter period - but for all practical official purposes the time at any given moment presently is identical to that of the UK.

Also, the Northern Irish Assembly is the only devolved legislature within the UK that has the power to change the time zone of its jurisdiction should it wish to do so. For Scotland and Wales it is regarded as a Reserve Matter, so only Westminster can legislate for time zone changes in those two countries.

Maybe the Boogeyman had the right idea.

Today I found out that a freind I've known since 1993 passed away at the end of March.

I have been focusing on my own self inflicted shit since December so only sent a few Facebook PMs. I am a dick.

We had a mutual love of pro wrestling and I'll never forget her telling me how cool Bam Bam Bigelow was when they shared a few drinks.

Rest in Peace Angie xx

Edit

I hope this is OK to post

Edited by Hugh Thesz
See last line

• Awards Moderator

Empire Strikes Back is my favourite film. Fawlty Towers is my favourite sitcom.

So why only this week have I noticed General Riekaan (has a couple of minor lines in the first five minutes of Empire) is the same actor as the Mr Hamilton in Waldorf Salad?

img-2670322-f.jpg

waldorf%20salad.gif

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Empire Strikes Back is my favourite film. Fawlty Towers is my favourite sitcom.

So why only this week have I noticed General Riekaan (has a couple of minor lines in the first five minutes of Empire) is the same actor as the Mr Hamilton in Waldorf Salad?

img-2670322-f.jpg

waldorf%20salad.gif

The Superman-Clark Kent effect at it's finest.Though to be fair I didn't realise Cliff/Pixar Mascot John Ratzenberger was in it either (Empire, not Fawlty)

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I didn't realise John Ratzenberger was in it either (Empire, not Fawlty)

You can barely see his face. And I've always wondered if he's been overdubbed too.