Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Today I learnt Tom Hanks married someone called Wilson.

Today someone at work learned that Tom Hanks continues aging after filming is completed.

"Tom Hanks has Coronavirus!"

"He'll be alright. It's only those over fifty that are really at risk"

"He's sixty five!"

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Today someone at work learned that Tom Hanks continues aging after filming is completed.

"Tom Hanks has Coronavirus!"

"He'll be alright. It's only those over fifty that are really at risk"

"He's sixty five!"

If he can see of aids he can see off Covid. Nothing to worry about.

• Paid Members

TIL: That North Korea has its own IPTV content delivery service. Just a shame about its name.

Manbang

TIL there's a town in Maryland called Chevy Chase. But it has no connection with the actor, whose nickname was derived from an old ballad about a place of the same name on the Anglo-Scottish border.

(Ideally instead of Maryland it should've been in Alabama, or as Mr Chase calls it, AL.)

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

TIL there's a town in Maryland called Chevy Chase. But it has no connection with the actor, whose nickname was derived from an old ballad about a place of the same name on the Anglo-Scottish border.

(Ideally instead of Maryland it should've been in Alabama, or as Mr Chase calls it, AL.)

You can skip the below post if you don’t want the full long history of Chevy Chase. But if you do, read on...

Chevy Chase isn’t a place as such - ‘Chevy’ refers to the Cheviot hills, which are a gorgeous piece of Northumberland countryside and cross over the border a bit (or at least they used to) - and the ‘chase’ is the hunt.

The ballad, which probably goes back to the 15th century, is a fictionalised version of the Battle Of Otterburn between Lord Percy (Warden of the Eastern March - whose job it was to secure that part of the border) and Lord Douglas (chief Scottish rivals of the Percys).

In the ballad, Percy goes out for a nice hunt in the Cheviots - a Chevy Chase in fact - but crosses into Douglas territory. Douglas finds out, gathers an army, Percy won’t leave, so they have a big old battle and both the lords get killed. Their respective communities mourn all the dead of the battle, and the song ends with the moral of “if noblemen stopped fighting about stupid things like hunting a lot more of us folk would still be alive”.

(In the real battle, Douglas had invaded England, conquered Newcastle and defeated Harry ‘Hotspur’ Percy - the Tottenham football team is named after him - in single combat. He fled west, Hotspur in pursuit, they fought under a full moon, Douglas was killed but the Scots won the battle.)

Anyway...

The ballad became very popular for a long time on the borders, and dipped in and out of cultural favour more widely. Elizabethan/Jacobean writers Spenser and Jonson were both fans. It also has the line “under the greenwood tree” which Shakespeare uses in (I think) As You Like It, I can’t prove it but I wonder if Shakespeare knew the ballad.

It’s endured mainly because it was published in Thomas ‘no relation but I did work for them’ Percy’s “Reliques of Ancient English Poetry” in the 1700s which in turn influenced the likes of Wordsworth and Coleridge. It’s been played as a standard on the Northumbrian pipes ever since.

The comedian comes into it because his grandma supposedly claimed descent from the Douglases. She knew the ballad, she used to sing it when he was little, and when he needed a stage name... there it was.

I didn’t know about the town in Maryland, but I wonder whether it had Scottish settlers who knew the song, or people from the Borders who thought the surrounding landscape looked a bit Cheviot-y.

The end.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator